NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Brutus is Gone -- My Worst Nightmare!

chezron

This evening at dusk I went up to my neighbor's house for dinner. When I came home Brutus was gone. I finally found the screen knocked out of the kitchen window. He must have hit it and it tipped open and he flew out. This is so unlike him as he usually sits and waits for me on the rail. Please help me figure out what he is likely to do. There are many tall trees just around my house. It was dusk so I don't think he went far. He is microchipped. Today, I had registered him with additional microchip registries, so at least if he is scanned my information will turn up. Do you have any suggestions for me? I will be up before dawn looking for him. I have already talked to the police. I am making flyers and putting together an ad for posting. I belong to a neighborhood group and will be posting his information there too.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to hear this. I am praying he will come home soon.

Some say to post here: http://www.911parrotalert.com/ as that is where a lot of parrot owners look if they find someone else's bird.

If you have other birds you may want to put them outside in cages as well. Sometimes birds will call for each other and it may help him navigate back if he can hear one of his siblings.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. :(

I can't sleep obviously. I have posted on Craigslist, Facebook (multiple), Bird Rescues, 911 Parrot Alert, Recycler, and Humane Society. As soon as it is light I will roll the other birds out in their cages. It was dusk so he couldn't have gone far.Brutus.jpg

Edited by chezron

I suggest calling the local Vet clinics and Pet shops as well. My thoughts are with you both and prayers for a safe return. Do call him and place his cage outside where he can see it in a high place if possible. Could some one have seen him on the rail and taken him?

I hate to hear this as I have gone through the same thing. Be sure to search at dawn and dusk. If you can record your other birds on a device and play it back while out searching that will help get his attention. Also it's best to use a bicycle as you can see and hear things a lot better. I found a car and my moto were useless as they were too loud and I was limited to what I could see. We found Greycie because she called to us in the dark and we HEARD her first. We would have never seen her. Don't assume you know where he is by the direction you saw him fly or may think he flew. We found Greycie 3 miles, in a completely opposite direction, from where I last saw her descend. She actually flew to a trail that she was familiar with and parked herself in a tree waiting for me. I so hope you find Brutus because this really sucks.

GA kids are back in school. If you have kids in school, contact the schools with your poster. Ask them not to try to catch him but to call and have you come to them. Kids are highly motivated with more free time than most of us. Best of luck to you.

OMG! I am sooooo annoyed! I responded, and my post didn't come up! Contact your local boyscouts, and news. Call your local newsroom and make sure you contact local rescue and vet and cross countylines. Certainly take birds and cage outside. Contact all neighbors, ask them to contact their friends within five miles.I have found five/six. Stay strong, and be determined. nancy

I finally slept two hours in two days (from 9:30-11:30pm).

I keep replaying the screen being loose in my head. I know I am meticulous about keeping screen and other doors closed. This is just the weirdest thing. I don't think I am irresponsible I just think this was a freak thing. I work so hard to keep them safe. I just think that window screen gave way at a point in time where he had to progress out because nothing held him in.

This (Wed.)evening I was out on the deck playing familiar music, I had all the cages and play stands out, and my two other parrots were out until it got too dark. I called to him periodically. He left just the day before as it was getting dark. I don't think he went far. I have the biggest, (and most) trees in the neighborhood, so i think he is here. I have contacted every group, online group, Craigslist, pet store, vet, and a neighborhood group of 236 households. I posted 35 signs around the neighborhood. I can't sleep I keep replaying it in my head. He is microchipped. It is not even midnight yet and I am awake again. I have to be out before sunrise. The play stands are still outside and a cage he is familiar with is out there too.

What else can I do? I recorded my voice, and I am afraid I sound desperate and scared. I don't think that is good for him to hear.

How often do people get their greys back? My friend said she got hers back because he got hungry after three days and came down. He was only one block away. I wonder if finding them closer is more typical than farther away (like Sterling at 3 miles away?) I just don't think he flew that far at dusk. And i don't think he moved much further because he is scared. He is trying to be still and not call attention to himself. At least that is what I think. There are hawks in the neighborhood too. I just think he cannot figure out how to fly almost straight down from a really tall tree to the deck. This must freak him out. I tell him "he is a good boy"and a "a good flyer" and he can do it.

What if I'm wrong, what if he is far away? He can't be though, other people don't have the trees I have here. This location makes perfect sense with dense tall tree cover.

What do you think?

Edited by chezron

Are you still hearing him at all? From what I have read they say not to stand directly under tree's but to stand in an open area near the tree's. Also if he has a favorite food, toy, stand, cage etc. place them outside and keep calling for him. Call Vets, Shelters, Police, etc. Put flyers up everywhere. Most of all don't give up. My heart goes out to you and I pray that he finds his way home.