NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

sick grey, vomiting/diarrhea/weight loss

beck4321

My grey had been sick at least since friday. I noticed really late friday night that she seemed droopy, and then noticed very wet diarrhea around the vent. I took her to the vet saturday morning. My avian vet is fantastic, but nothing has worked well yet.

Saturday she sent me home with 2 antibiotics. They next day I called the vet again because she had started vomiting. Some of it is food coming back up, but most of it was like a clear drool. They gave me medicine to treat her crop for a yeast infection and also something to keep her from vomiting.

Fast forward to now. My vet is on vacation now in mexico (they actually paged her for advice on the second round of meds for me). I'm not noticing much improvement at al, although not really getting worse either. She doesn't want to eat, but will take the meds easily. I've been giving her some water with a splash of apple juice via syringe to make sure she's staying hydrated. I made scrambled eggs for my daughter this morning and I always make extra for the birds. She gobbled that up, but I later found it vomited back up on the paper. Same thing tonight. I've been giving her her regular food (zupreem natural) soaked to make it softer and easier for her to swallow. I've been changing her water constantly to see if she is eating anything (she's a dunker) and there is only ever barely a crumb.

I found this site searching some symptoms, and I've done as much research as I can...but really looking for other thoughts or suggestions or if anyone else dealt with something similar? She's only 8 and she's my favorite!

Thank you,

Rebecca

My grey had been sick at least since friday. I noticed really late friday night that she seemed droopy, and then noticed very wet diarrhea around the vent. I took her to the vet saturday morning. My avian vet is fantastic, but nothing has worked well yet.

Saturday she sent me home with 2 antibiotics. They next day I called the vet again because she had started vomiting. Some of it is food coming back up, but most of it was like a clear drool. They gave me medicine to treat her crop for a yeast infection and also something to keep her from vomiting.

Fast forward to now. My vet is on vacation now in mexico (they actually paged her for advice on the second round of meds for me). I'm not noticing much improvement at al, although not really getting worse either. She doesn't want to eat, but will take the meds easily. I've been giving her some water with a splash of apple juice via syringe to make sure she's staying hydrated. I made scrambled eggs for my daughter this morning and I always make extra for the birds. She gobbled that up, but I later found it vomited back up on the paper. Same thing tonight. I've been giving her her regular food (zupreem natural) soaked to make it softer and easier for her to swallow. I've been changing her water constantly to see if she is eating anything (she's a dunker) and there is only ever barely a crumb.

I found this site searching some symptoms, and I've done as much research as I can...but really looking for other thoughts or suggestions or if anyone else dealt with something similar? She's only 8 and she's my favorite!

Thank you,

Rebecca

~~~~~I'm not noticing much improvement at al, although not really getting worse either~~~~~~~

That's a good sign. What you're describing doesn't go away quickly. Humans go thru the same problem. They get sick and their desire for food goes way down but they still follow the doctor's order and take their meds. Eventually, they get better. If your bird is accepting the meds easily that's also a good sign. With many birds, their taking meds causes a problem because thy won't. She tries to eat the eggs but spits it up. Another good sign--she's hungry. Much of what you said is typical of a digestive problem and the easier it's treated the better the prognosis.

Staying in touch with your vet and his vet techs is a very important thing to do even if you feel that you're aggravating them.

You ask about ohers here that have gone thru the same problem. I'm sure that others have had the same problems but it's possible that their bird got the problem for entirely different reasons. We here can't and won't give medical advice. There are no vets here and doing that is irresponsible. My feelings are the same as above. Stay with that vet and continue all the treatments.

One other thing-----in case you start seeing extremely lose droppings, it's because fruit and fruit byproducts can cause loose bowel movement.

Also give some very lumpy oatmeal periodically.

Miss Scarlett passed away yesterday morning. I knew as soon as soon as I picked her up that I had less than an hour more with her. She was a one-in-a-million bird. She would nip anyone that tried to touch get, but she would snuggle with me and I could do absolutely anything with her. I'll be dropping her body off at the vet, so at least I might have answers as to what happened.

Thanks to those that replied.

Rebecca

How heartwrenchingly sad, and a devastating time for you and all those who loved Miss Scarlett. My heart goes out to you. Whether shorter or longer, the years of love, laughter, joy, and mystery that we spend with our special companions are just never enough.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this about your Miss Scarlett and sorry that nothing could be done for her to help. It sounds like you tried everything you could think of. If you find out what happened please do share if you feel up to it.

Ohhh my.... This kind of thing just hits me so hard and I feel your loss...for sure. I weep. The mere imagination of what you are going through is clear to me. I am just thankful that it wasn't too long before you were able to see her be released from suffering. We are all only temporary phenomena that inhabit the Earth and I hope that smiles will return each time you think of your companion. Nothing in time or place can ever change the magic they have brought. My sincerest and most heart-felt love goes out to you.

Thank you all for the kind words and support.

I did finally get results back from my vet. Miss Scarlet had a mass growing in her that was about the size of a walnut and was taking over several organs already. The mass had just finally gotten big enough that no food was getting past it and only minimal liquid. She was really such a happy bird that there was no reason to suspect anything and nothing that could have been done to save her once she was showing symptoms. Helps with closure to know that I didn't do anything wrong, but still really heart broken over her.

Thank you all again,

Rebecca

Edited by beck4321
spelling fixes

Thank you for the update. I hope in time you will be able to only smile when you think of Scarlet. I hope you will continue to stay with is in the forum and share your joys with us as well as your tragedy. I hope in some sense you know how much we all truly feel your loss, and wish you and your family the very best of all things.

Thank you all for the kind words and support.

I did finally get results back from my vet. Miss Scarlet had a mass growing in her that was about the size of a walnut and was taking over several organs already. The mass had just finally gotten big enough that no food was getting past it and only minimal liquid. She was really such a happy bird that there was no reason to suspect anything and nothing that could have been done to save her once she was showing symptoms. Helps with closure to know that I didn't do anything wrong, but still really heart broken over her.

Thank you all again,

Rebecca

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is, and how badly it hurts to lose one of these babies.

I lost my son in much the same manner. He was being treated for a leg injury and we blamed the lack of appetite on the medication which is hard on the stomach (NSAID similar to ibuprofen). When the appetite did not return after stopping it, he was treated for a bacterial infection, then more blood work was done showing it was a fungal infection. By the time he was started on the anti-fungal, it was too late. He died of systemic (ingested) aspergillosis. It did not affect his respiratory system so the symptoms were pretty vague at first. I beat myself up for a long time, and still do, for not requesting follow-up labs. You better believe that WILL be the case next time one of them gets sick. The void left in my life is almost indescribable. It's been six months now, and I still cry every single day.

You have my deepest condolences and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.