NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Our Newest Resident

Muse

The newest resident here at Marden's Ark - Ariel. She is a 10 year old Fischers Lovebird.

IMG_1749.jpg

She comes from a home with several other birds but is a bit of a loner. She is definitely a she, as she laid eggs years ago when there was another lovebird in her life, but has not done so since (and hopefully won't!). She is in quarantine right now, so she hasn't seen the other birds or the play room. She makes the most adorable little cheeping sound, but only when she's feeling afraid. Most of the time she is extremely quiet. So far all fresh food has been vetoed and she's sticking with the Roudybush she's used to eating. I did sneak a "cracker" in her dish. I hope she at least tries it.

So colorful. I've never been around a love bird, just seen them in passing. Our Raven was rooming next to a love bird at the rescue we found her in. He was cage aggressive and kept rushing me as I got close. That's the most interaction I've had with them. Are they like parrotlets?

So colorful. I've never been around a love bird, just seen them in passing. Our Raven was rooming next to a love bird at the rescue we found her in. He was cage aggressive and kept rushing me as I got close. That's the most interaction I've had with them. Are they like parrotlets?

I have no idea! This is my first experience with a lovebird, and I have no experience with parrotlets. She's coming out of her shell already. She is calling back and forth with the green cheeks. I put a little swing in her cage that was Maks's and he hated it. She loves it! No luck with her getting near hands, yet.

• 1 month later...

The newest two birds came from the same home. The woman is moving into smaller space and needed to reduce the number of birds she had. When Ariel saw Jack, she got very excited. She used to act very scared and shy when I put my hand in the cage, but since the other birds are here (and in quarantine with her) she's been much more active and much less shy. I see a bite coming in my near future, lol.

A black mask love bird was who flew into our house 4+ years ago. Quiet? Unless for some reason she has no vocal cord (lol) lovebirds are not quiet, at all, whatsoever. Or at least our Lenny wasn't/isn't. He went to live with my niece after the big boys moved in and the updates I get are that he is a loud little bugger. Sweet as can be though, he is very much so a peoples bird and loved to be with us. Best wishes for your newest addition!

The Fishers are so beautiful, my favorite Lovebird. They can be aggressive little stinkers (Peach faced are more so) but have some fun behaviors to watch. They can cut long strips of paper and tuck them into their feathers carrying them around like a long flowing tail. It is a part of their nest building instinct.

• 1 month later...