NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello Fellow Grey Lovers!

I just wanted to stop in and say hello. Mazi, my CAG, is 12yrs old. She came to me as a foster through a Parrot organization that I've worked with in the past. She and I bonded, so I adopted her. I had always wanted a CAG, after fostering one many years ago. I've worked with Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Amazons, a Macaw, and a Senegal, but my heart has always belonged to the Greys. :)

Mazi came from a home with an elderly lady, who had health problems. She lived her life in a 22" square cage, with no out-of-the-cage time, and on a seed only diet. She had human interaction, but only through the cage bars. She now has a 40X30X72 cage with lots of out time. She, also, gets lots of fresh foods and pellets. :)

When I got her, her beak was in pretty rough shape and dull, but after 6 months of better nutrition and enrichment, she's blossoming. Her beak has darkened and is smoothing out. I tried attaching a photo of her, so I hope it worked. I used to use Photobucket all of the time, but the site wasn't working, so I don't know if it's down temporarily or what. :)

Anyway, I hope to meet some wonderful people here. Thank you for allowing me to join. :)

What a beeeeatutiful gal Mazi is, and how wonderful that you two found one another. I have a special place in my heart for anyone who chooses an older companion, although as you know 12 years in parrot years is a spring chicken :) Mazi will flourish under your care and you already know that she will enrich your life also in many, many ways. Don't be shy around here, jump in and keep those photos coming :)

Thank you, everyone! I love her. :)

What a beeeeatutiful gal Mazi is, and how wonderful that you two found one another. I have a special place in my heart for anyone who chooses an older companion, although as you know 12 years in parrot years is a spring chicken :) Mazi will flourish under your care and you already know that she will enrich your life also in many, many ways. Don't be shy around here, jump in and keep those photos coming :)

I agree, Inara! I don't have a bit of problem working with an older companion. I believe it was definitely meant to be with her. I didn't actually choose her. I had returned to fostering (after a few years, due to having a younger child). Well, when I returned, I was asked what kind I wanted. I replied by saying that I would take in whoever needed me the most, but my dream parrot was definitely the CAG. That's when we got everything going with Mazi. She had been waiting for an opening into the program for almost a year and the lady's health was getting worse, so she definitely needed a place to go. Everything was set up for her to come in, have a full vetting done, her quarantine completed, and she even got to attend a Step-Up class. Fortunately, she was easy to convert off of seed. She was already on pellets and fresh foods by the time I met her. When she was brought to me, she took everything in stride. By that evening, she was even stepping up onto my hand. We haven't looked back. :) I've fostered other birds, but there was just something about her. She and I clicked. I couldn't imagine not having her in my life, so I chose to adopt her. I do plan to foster another, since foster homes are needed, but I want to be cautious about the one I choose. I don't want to do anything that could upset the relationship that I have developed with Mazi. :)

Hello Tnluv4parrots and welcome to our family.

So happy you could give Mazi a new forever home and it seems she is appreciative of her new digs, she is a very lucky lady to have found you and it will only get better from here. She is a lovely girl from the picture you shared of her so keep the pictures coming.

What a nice way for you to get acquainted with Mazi and adopt her. It such a heartwarming change of scenery for her and a beautiful companion for you. When you are out looking for wonderful people to share your love of your grey, look in the mirror. You are pretty special too. Welcome to the forum.