NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Please help! My grey has salmonella!!

Lamya

Hello everyone, my bird was diagnosed with salmonella, his left leg is now paralysed

he was fine yesterday playing and flying around and eating, this morning i woke him up he was all puffed up in the bottom of his cage, I thought he was cold at first so I placed him out on his stand and turned on the heater , his legs were fine!

i went to college and came back a couple of hours later to find him pooping white wet material and he was all puffed and didn't even touch his food, this is where i panicked, then i saw his left leg and i almost cried my eyes out

I Immediately placed him in his travel cage and went to the avian vet, i went to 5 pet stores, they all were cat and dog vets only, and finally after a while i found a great doctor that have worked for over 50 years, he is the best in Riyadh.

he diagnosed him with Salmonella, and he said there's a 50% chance he'd die and another 50% he would survive with the shots given, at that moment i felt like the world has this conspiracy to destroy me, my little baby boy is dying!!!!!

he said you have to risk and give him shots but he might also get a shock and die, i agreed because i don't want to let it spread

please PLEASE tell me what to do, is it contagious?

is he going to be oKAY???

i will be giving him shots at the vet for a week or so until he is fine

i need your prayers, i am so stressed out

i am trying my best to act strong just for him

so please tell me if he is going to make it and what should i do at the moment

i am going to mix two spoons of whole wheat baby cerelac in his water bowl, and feed him with a 10ml tube needle is that ok?

Calm down, first. Salmonella is usually caused by birds eating food & drinking water that has been pooped in. Since he is being cared for by a vet, the shots are probably antibiotics. That's the best first step. Now, you must make sure that his food & water is always clean. If the bowls are low in the cage, where he can poop in them, move them higher. If other birds are above his cage, move them. This is why I always tell people that if their water is not clean enough for you to drink, it's not clean enough for them. Also, keep his cage as clean as possible. And, yes, Salmonella is contagious, to other birds, pets, and to people. Make sure to keep his cage clean, his food & water bowls clean, and try not to come in contact with too much of his poop right now. Wash your hands before & after handling him. Good luck. This is a common nasty disease from many different bacterial strains. Some are easy to cure, some not.

Hello, Thank you so SO much for your reply, I am keeping him in his smaller cage, and I've fed him by the tube a good amount of whole wheat baby food and he loved it, i'll feed him every 6-5 hours because he wouldn't eat and he finds it hard to move with his leg paralysed , i almost sensed him trying to move it but maybe it's just my imagination, i really really hope he would be ok, his bowls were clean but in some occasions i find his stand bowls with poop only on the side of them and they are cleaned immediately, i am so depressed right now. he chirps and whistles and today is his first time attempting to make sounds like my words, he tries to climb and also shred paper, i am grateful he is not in the stage of him being unable to even move.

your prayers !!!

P.S is it really harmful if i got it? and do i need to wear gloves and that med mask thing? because i didn't and i handle him like i always do, and i placed his porch really low so he can climb it, because he can't really move with his leg paralysed.

is it really harmful if i got it?

Yes, it can cause many types of illnesses because there's different strains of salmonella. Mostly internal. Cleanliness is a must. Lots of touching isn't good because the dander/dust on feathers can also carry the bacteria. And birds are constantly shaking the dander into the air. Dusting off things is a must. Keeping your bird away from human food is a must. Frequent hand washing is a must. Keep kids away from the bird. That also goes for other pets such as dogs and cats and other birds.

do i need to wear gloves and that med mask thing?

No, Gloves will frighten a bird causing constantly flapping of the wings and that spreads the dander around

you should keep in constant contact with your vet concerning different things that're happening. Ask him about the specifics and the seriousness of the bacteria.

Edited by Dave007

No, you don't need gloves or a mask. That would scare him & stress him out more. Just keep things clean. It is good that he is eating. If you did get Salmonella, your doctor could treat you the same as the vet is treating him. With antibiotics. It can become a problem in people. Just be careful handling him & his poop. That's how it is transmitted, through feces. About his leg, I don't know. Try to GENTLY exercise & move it. It may not be connected to the Salmonella. What did the vet tell you about his leg? It is good to have moved his perches low. If he is having difficulty moving his leg, he may have difficulty perching. Does his foot grasp your finger? If he spends more time on the floor of his cage, please clean up after him more. You don't want him walking around, stepping in poop, and tracking it all over, or on his feet when you pick him up.

My doctor said that Salmonella causes this, i mean his leg being paralysed and that if it's not cured it will spread to his other leg and then his whole body and then die, i've been reading a lot and i'm just trying to stop the diarrhoea by making him drink water that has been boiled with rice ( for carbs ) 2 injections of antibiotics everyday, i'm going to the vet tomorrow evening and i hope all is good :( </3

Am so very sorry to hear about your beautiful companion's illness. You must feel frantic and frightened. You have been given some very good information, and your vet sounds very competent. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you both. Please keep giving us updates when you can.

Hello again, just got back from my university, i couldn't eat anything or even sleep, i couldn't focus in my classes, this is really crushing my soul to pieces, although he's only been there for a month, i feel like i've had him for years, this is making me really depressed.

Both his legs are now paralysed, he doesn't seem to be in pain, he shreds napkins and tries to climb the cage, he doesn't eat but i give him drops of water, and about 10ml of whole wheat baby food.

it is 1:30 pm now, my vet said he will be available at 8 pm in the pet clinic, I really hope my little one would make it.

Please pray for us. :(

Salmonella infection Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo ...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases.../salmonella/.../con-2002901...‎Mayo Clinic

Salmonella infection — Comprehensive overview covers signs, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment of this bacterial disease.

Coconut water would have more electrolytes and nutrition than the rice water does. Prayers for your Grey.

Hello, i just came back from the vet for my baby's antibiotics, i'll post in the morning to tell you guys what happened, right now he is stable, my hopes are up right now

pray for him please .

Thank you all for your help i really really appreciate it

Lamya, thank you for the update. These types of situations are never easy, and are so stress filled. Know that you are surrounded by people who sincerely care, even if many of us are a half world away. There is a lot of positive energy being sent your baby's way with each thought and prayer. Stay strong.

Hi all, it's 5 am and I woke up to feed my little one

yesterday my doctor said that there's 50/50 chance of him to live or pass away

he gave him an antibiotic in the chest, and this thing he said it would help his nerves get stronger so he could maybe start moving his legs, he gave him by mouth

he told me it's good that i'm feeding him cerelac but it would be better if i feed him baby parrot food, so i bought one and he actually likes it, he did not poop for a day, still haven't moved but his spirits are high, i hope he makes it till tomorrow, it's good that he is not in pain.

let's hope for a miracle.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! it means a lot to me, i am relieved because i know my little baby is in the hands of god, and even if he dies, i will never forget our precious moments, even if they were only for a month, it felt like forever.