NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Skinny bird?

SRSeedBurners

Greycie seems a little skinny - is this normal for 14mos? She's always been between 440-455 with occasional forays into the 470s. It seems to me like she is leaning out. I'm starting to notice her keel bone more and just recently her spine?!? It's probably my PDD/AVB paranoia kicking into high gear. She's a very active flighted cocakroach (read: into every darn thing). Plays tons, especially when I get home.

Wondering if it's normal for them to get leaner as they get into their twos.

I doubt anything is wrong. My Grey only weighed on average 430 during his first 2 years and I have always been able to feel his keel bone sticking out. In his 3rd year though 4th he slowly began putting on more weight and has since then averaged 485. Even now, I can feel his keel bone sticky out distinctly. I suspect it has to do with the activity level of individual greys. Dayo is always active whether flying, trashing toys or just climbing around. By the videos I have seen of Greycie, she is VERY active as well and is just in very good shape with almost no fat. :)

But anytime you have doubts, it is always best to go get a precautionary check up and see what your avian vet thinks.

Weekly weigh ins are good to make sure you are on top of a sudden drop. You keep pretty close tabs on her eating habits and she does have a high energy level. We lived with PDD and our little guys had no energy and had other signs of illness like frequent infections. I'm with Dan, its probably Greycie's normal metabolism and if you haven't had an annual with her vet, it wouldn't hurt to touch base, or even make a call if she has had a visit in less than a year. Also, if she was ever clipped and recently regained flight, they sometimes lose a bit with the extra exercise. And worrying is what you get for putting her picture on the internet on the weight watcher scale - just kidding you a bit of course.

You guys are talking about Congos, right? My Bailey is a Timneh, and at 8 months weighs 305 grams. The vet says he's doing great. His keel bone is prominent, and his "elbows" and spine are easy to feel. She says he's normal. and will fill in with age. How about other Timmies out there?

Last night after several rounds of wrestling, some Grey sprints back and forth across the back of my chair (these are super cute), multiple strafings of the living room and finally attacking Toby and knocking him to the floor I decided to weigh her. 437g. She felt so skinny it scared me. She wouldn't hardly eat anything either so she wasn't hungry. This morning her weight after the morning bomb was 442. Not sure how she managed to gain weight overnight. The low 440s used to be her skinny-girl weight, now she's getting into the 430s.

440 or 455 sounds like good weight to me , I weighed Baby today and she weighs 412 Smokey weighed in at 438 which is a lot for him , I may have to cut his nut intake lol , he gets 6 nuts inside his foraging box , it's the plastic kind that has all kinds of ways to open it and it has 6 boxes on it so that 6 nuts per box and believe he waits until I refill it every morning

I don't weigh Sophie anymore. Her trimmer does.... lets me know if she needs fattening up. Her trimming is nails and beak. Unwanted feathers that she didnt care for. Sophie is a drama queen, knows when I freak out, and takes advantage of my worries! Her trimmer has known her for a decade, and communicates with me when she is being dramatic, and when I should be worried! Sunny on the other hand, is old, needs fattening up. I spend hours hand feeding him yogurt, mac and cheese, and eggs. He LOVES it! Nancy

You guys are talking about Congos, right? My Bailey is a Timneh, and at 8 months weighs 305 grams. The vet says he's doing great. His keel bone is prominent, and his "elbows" and spine are easy to feel. She says he's normal. and will fill in with age. How about other Timmies out there?

HRH Inara weighs between 287 and 292 grams depending on the day, at 2.5 years old. She seems so light and little to me compared to my (r.i.p.) amazon and CAG. But I'm finally used to her being my "little bird." She's very active, plays a lot in her cage, loves to practice flying indoors, and is a busy girl. When she first came to live with us she was between 299-300 grams, then lost weight as we switched her to a healthier diet and after she learned to fly.