NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Out Of Cage Time?

Tyson'sMom

I try to make sure Tyson gets plenty of time out of his cage, but when he's out, I don't really know what to do with him. All he seems to want to do is snuggle in my lap and get his head stroked. If I stop stroking his head he gently grabs my finger and pushes his bowed head into my hand until I start stroking him again. He's not regurgitating, though he does this in the spring and summer time. He just loves having his head stroked. He'll spend hours at it if I let him.

I have a play gym and a perch stand for Tyson. He won't even perch on the play gym (I think it's too high on top of his cage). He will sit on the stand for short periods, then he climbs down the stand and comes back to me looking for more strokes. He has no interest in toys, even familiar ones. He will literally fling them away with his bill and scream at them. Food treats are also out of the question - he refuses to eat anything while he's out of his cage. He's not food-motivated and it's very difficult to get him to try new foods.

The vet says Tyson is fat, and he refuses to fly even though his wings aren't clipped. I've tried getting him to flap as the vet suggested, by bobbing my hand up and down when he's perched on it. He just grabs my hand with his bill.

I don't mind stroking Tyson's head for a while, but I'd like him to find things to do on his own while he's out of his cage, like stay on his perch or gym and play with toys or climb - or flap his wings. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to do these things, or ideas on other things I can get him to do?

I would suggest to just stop giving scratches after say 15 or 30 minutes. Try and show him you are interested in his play stand for example with a toy perhaps hanging from one side and play with it with excitement and coax him in to it. Keep a small cup (if one is provided) on the t stand for example or play stand with some seeds and pellets mixed in. Have the stand in a close proximity where he will be just a short distance from you when you sit down. If he climbs down and comes over, greet him happily, maybe give scratches for 1 to 5 minutes then take him back to the stand.

Right now, it just sounds like since he has settled in to your loving and caring home. He is lavishing himself with up close and personal attention he has lacked and wanted for a long time. I believe if you just slowly change it up a little over time he will become at least a little more self sufficient and relax on the stand just preening, watching you, perhaps communicating with you etc. Right now, maybe he has a little separation anxiety since he lacked attention for so long. I cannot imagine how it must feel to go for years with out the touch of another.

Just some of my thoughts on this and how you may be able to wean him slowly off so much attention. Others will have idea's as well. :)

In addition to agreeing with Dan, I'd add to help him lose weight, and help with separation, instead of carrying him everywhere, make him walk. It may stimulate him to fly by making short skip-hops to you. Plus, like us, walking will burn up calories. He has to develop a sense of independence. He probably is just enjoying the attention, but, he must spend time by himself eventually. Too much of this for too long, and you'll have a spoiled bird on your hands. I did not want to say brat, but, they learn how to manipulate us very quickly. I speak from experience. Try to nip this as soon as possible. Again, I know it's hard, but, he needs to be more self entertaining.

Many greys don't like toys. Sophie is one. BUT... they can't resist shredding. Get some pinata toys. Baby won't resist. Sophie's favorite thing to do when I pay bills, is to have her own registrar and start to manage her imaginary money! Encourage the hugging... BUT... time to get moving, practice flying! BEST done with two people, but if thats not the case, encourage walking, progress to flying. Practice! Nancy

Thanks for the answers everyone! Tyson loves to shred newspapers, so I'll try hanging some big ribbons of paper on his play stand to see if that piques his interest. I will also put some pellets in the dish on the stand (on vet's orders he gets a measured ration of pellets twice a day). He already goes through quite a process to climb down from his stand to my lap (stand-base-lamp-couch-me) so I'll put him there more often after short head rub periods so he'll climb more. He does resist being picked up when he's getting his head rub, up to and including bites. My rule is "bite hard and you go right back into your cage" and I have a wood perch I use to enforce that rather than getting bitten again. Tyson is very familiar with the "step up" command (he even says "step up!" when he wants to be picked up) but will refuse to comply when he doesn't feel like being picked up.

He does play quite vigorously with toys in his cage, including swinging from the ceiling to bat them around. I will bring his favourite toys out and try them on his stand when he's out.

I look forward to the time when Tyson can be more independent. Right now I can't have him out of his cage for more than an hour or two at a time because I have to give him 100% attention, and I just don't have time to spend doing this for several hours per day. Also I have a couple of cats who ignore Tyson when he's on the stand or cage, but approach him when he's on my lap, so I have to shut them away, which isn't fair to them.

Tyson'sMom...I think we have the same bird...except mine only like my husband but does the exact same thing and also reacts the same as Tyson when petting and having to go back in the cage. Dolly also hates her toys but will shred paper....and not food motivated either...so treats are no big deal. I also have to use a wood perch to get Dolly off my husband because she will bite HARD when she has to go back to her cage and Dolly, like Tyson, could have her head stroked for hours until her feathers wore off.

I am taking the advise you received as well. So many wonderful people on this forum that really know their greys! Jan

No big deal for those fatties! LOL! Many greys aren't into toys... BUT they love to shred. Get them walking( remove animals that threaten their safety!). Its all about them! Encourage them to walk at first. I always said " come on... lets go!". Sophie would walk... ( more like a waddle) We would tour the entire house. I always explained something fun about each room. She was always curious, and I let her investigate something she was curious about. Progress to practicing flying. Two people always! Always end with a snuggle that they love. If a bird needs a snuggle, they should have a snuggle! Nancy

Many greys don't like toys. Sophie is one. BUT... they can't resist shredding. Get some pinata toys. Baby won't resist. Sophie's favorite thing to do when I pay bills, is to have her own registrar and start to manage her imaginary money! Encourage the hugging... BUT... time to get moving, practice flying! BEST done with two people, but if thats not the case, encourage walking, progress to flying. Practice! Nancy

Mar likes to sort the "mail" (junk mail). And by sort, I mean shred. Or throw. or both. I guess it is a form of recycling.

Our Sun Conure Alex was from a chain pet store. He did not fly. He was evidently clipped before he ever flew. I honestly don't think he realized he was a bird. He walked everywhere. He had no tail because when he'd fall he didn't know how to flap, so he'd just PLOP! He broke every one of his tail feathers. I had to teach him to fly by swinging him towards me to teach him to flap, then gently tossing him forward onto the couch. It took a LONG time to get him to fly. And once we did, he couldn't land properly. He would recall, but I had to hold a stick up over my head between two fists like it was a perch. He'd fly past and hook it with his beak, hang there, swing down, then reach up with both feet and kind of do a 'chin up' to pull himself up on his feet. It was cute but sad. I'd like to slap whoever clipped him at the breeder/broker. But he flies like a jet now. I agree that practice will bringing Tyson around. Flying is excellent exercise and I truly believe flighted birds are far healthier.

When you have him out the best relationship you can have with your bird is the relationship of Teacher/Student/ not mother/child.

Have some things that you might want to teach him. Recall training (useful if he ever gets outside and flies away), fetching/ retrieving, turning around on command, waving, shaking hands, having a towel over him, getting him to go on his back etc etc

Or if you have a pretty advanced bird, learning colours, numbers, shapes. But the first bunch should be pretty easy to teach with some dedication and quality time spent.

Greys and other parrots really like to be stimulated in this teaching way and you and the bird will gain a lot more from it than him just simply being out of his cage.

Edited by Miffy

You CAN have a relationship with your bird... Teacher/Student/ Mother/Child. My relationship with Sophie has been all four. From being clipped and a lousy flyer,to being a bird that could fly ( takes time and practice). When she was naughty... time out. Socialization, was a must ( trusting many other people in her life). She knows several colors, and can count up to three. The number one thing she learned... Is I keep her safe, and deliver on all her needs. Being a parent, firm on my expectations, has always been my first priority. I am left with a bird that is ridiculously amazing! Nancy