NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Talon

Reputation Points are points that are given to you by other members. If a member likes a post you have written, then they can give you reputation points and the green bars under your member name on your posts will increase and or get a brighter green depending on the total points you have earned by others.

To see your total Reputation Points, you click on the Settings next to your log in at the top right of the forum page and scroll down....you will see your total Reputation Points and the users that gave you positive or negative reputation points and their comment if they left one. (You are the only one who can see your Reputation Page and your Reputation Points. That information is private).

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS GIVING THANKS TO A MEMBER FOR A POST THEY HAVE WRITTEN. THIS IS IN ADDITIONAL TO THAT OPTION. GIVING THANKS WILL NOT CHANGE A USER'S REPUTATION IN ANY WAY.\

How does the point system work?

1. All new users receive 10 rep points just for joining the forum as a member.

2. For every 30 days you are a member, you receive 1 point.

3. For every 100 posts you make, you receive 1 point.

4. For every 100 points you have, you receive an additional 1 point.

5. A user must have 10 rep points before their rep counts on others.

6. A user may give 10 reputation clicks over each 24 hour period.

7. You must give 20 different users reputation before you can hit the same person again.

New Members:

A new member must have 50 posts before their rep can add to anothers rep points. IF you see a new member under 50 posts has given you rep, but the bar on your rep page is NOT green, then that means they do not have enough rep power to alter yours in any way.

PLEASE NOTE: A RED bar means you were given a negative rep click. A non-color bar means that member has no rep power at that time.

Members who are no longer considered New Members under the Reputation Rules:

As each member receives Reputation Points, their Reputation Power increases based on the guidelines of other members and the points they have received over time. When a member clicks on the STAR to approve or disapprove of a post, that member (whose post they have clicked on) will have their reputation Level is altered by the number of points that the clicking member has for Power.

FYI: there are no 2 members here at the moment who have the same points in their power to give Reputation Points, some are as little as 10, some are as many as 585. What that means is... example: if I gave Judygram Reputation on a post, her level could increase by 472 if that were my power, or if I gave her a dis-approving reputation, her level would decrease, she would see I gave her a red bar on her reputation page and her reputation numbers would go down.

I have just added a Rep Power on each members info when they post. You may now see what your Power is. That is the number of points that changes their reputation level when you give them Positive Rep. or the number of points you take away from their Rep level if you give Negative Rep.

Any questions, I will do the best I can to answer in this thread. It is a very complicated system, however if you read it over and over, each time, a question may be answered. All you have to remember, is to click away at the STAR on the bottom left of a post if you like it, and you will have made a family member feel good, helpful, and like their contribution matters, which it does!

P. S. If you accidentally clicked a Negative click by mistake, please pm me and I can remove it. But PLEASE make certain the color is RED. Only RED is negative, NO color just means a member doesn't yet have the power to make a green one.

:cool:

Edited by Talon
  • Haha 1

Thanks for clearing this up. As a new member who has given reputation that was perceived as negative, it was very frustrating getting messages asking me why I gave negative feedback. Glad to know I was not an idiot hitting the wrong button. :)

PS as you can see, my rep power is 0. that means when if I give you reputation, it will not show as green. I am NOT giving you negative feedback.

Edited by Kizzybird
  • Haha 2

Thank you Penny for this great thread to help us understand this very important part of our forum.

I also think it`s important that from time to time we go back and reread our mission statement as this reminds us of our forums direction and goals.

We also need to read and understand our rules on the use of our forum and the respect we need to show each member.

Doing this will always make us a better forum and a fun place for us to come to,

• Haha 1

There is something new to learn every day, I was just reading up on the reputation again. It is an encouraging lift to know we are all working together to making this forum the kind of place where we want to share our experiences and learn new methods of communicating with each other as well as our flock at home. Thanks for the explanation Penny, it helps. For me, the fact we can give ten reps a day is good news. Thanks.

• Haha 1

Ha...me too! I noticed that I suddenly had a long green bar over my avatar. Decided to see what it was. I had no idea. I was incorrectly assuming it was just a post-count indicator of some sort. But when it jumped from one little green box to a bunch in one day I figured some idiot was using my account.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What is the difference between thanks and reputation please? I've been a member for a while and just realised I don't think I've ever used the reputation button. I've always used the thanks button. Is one better than the other? Or for use in different situations?

Edited by neoow