NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Insight on why your Grey acts as it does

danmcq

I thought I would post information I have gleaned over the years on wild greys and their social events with the group flock, family flock and as they age from baby to adult. It will help you in understanding why your grey starts changing as it ages, why it contact calls, why it becomes aggressive over "It's" cage (think tree hole) and lastly, why they are so nervously alert to any change.

Behavior

Wild African grey parrots are very shy and rarely allow humans to approach them. They are highly social and nest in large groups, although family groups occupy their own nesting tree. They are often observed roosting in large, noisy flocks calling loudly during mornings and evenings and in flight. These flocks are composed of only African grey parrots, unlike other parrots that are often found in mixed flocks. During the day, they break into smaller flocks and fly long distances to forage. They often roost in trees over water and are said to prefer roosting on islands in rivers.

Young birds stay with their family groups for a long period of time, up to several years. They socialize with others of their age in nursery trees, but remain in their family group within the larger flock. Young African grey parrots are cared for by older birds until they are educated enough and old enough to become independent flock members. Young exhibit appeasement behaviors towards older members. As they mature, birds become more aggressive with conspecifics.

African grey parrots in the wild must learn a complex set of skills. They need to learn how to separate desirable food plants from toxic plants, how to defend territory, how to recognize and avoid predators, how to find safe water, and how to rejoin their families when separated. Also, they must learn how to develop role-appropriate behaviors such as competing and defending nest sites and raising offspring. Competition for nest holes during mating season makes the species extremely aggressive.

Because African grey parrots are partial ground feeders, there is a series of behavioral events that occur before landing and safe consumption takes place. Groups of parrots gather at a barren tree until it is completely filled with hundreds of birds that partake in preening, climbing, vocalizing, and socializing. Eventually the birds make their way down to the ground in waves with the entire group never being on the ground at the same time. Once on the ground, they are extremely vigilant, reacting to any movement and/or sound.

Communicating

Wild African grey parrot flocks follow a daily pattern of vocalizations. Usually the flock is quiet from sunset until the next dawn. At day break, the flock begins to vocalize before setting out to forage at different locations throughout the day. At dusk, upon return to the roosting site, there is a period of vocalization. There are a variety of different types of calls and vocalizations, including alarm calls, contact calls, food begging calls, and agonistic calls.

Contact calls are of particular importance because they serve to identify where other members of the flock are and help promote flock cohesion. Alarm calls indicate varying levels of distress, these calls are particularly loud and of a frequency that carries well in order to warn fellow flock members. Young learn these vocalizations from parents and flock mates, so pet parrots will not learn appropriate wild vocalizations, but will show similar patterns and use of calls.

It has been found that African grey parrots demonstrated complex cognitive competence in understanding both the similarities and dissimilarities among musical note frequencies and were able to master the musical code. It was determined that African grey parrots must isolate a sound from background noise, imitate it, categorize the acoustic stimulus, encode it into long term memory, and monitor the output sound to match it with the internal template, which is what we call calibrating.

Edited by danmcq
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The most obvious, I would think, would be the contact calls. Timber uses certain sounds in certain situations. I.e. his whistle when he hears me getting up (upstairs, he is downstairs) is the same every morning. I assume that is his "location" call, letting me know where he is so I can get there.

I believe that one of the most important words here is flock. Pet greys act totally different in a atmosphere that doesn't have that surrounding flock safety. Many people try to provide that flock mentality but nothing can replace real natural flock surroundings. Pet greys lack that important flock safety environment. The owners provide that safety but in doing so, the bird loses that flock safety environment. Look at pet birds that escape. They disappear but rarely find that flock environment. They search and search without success. Compare the breeders and pet birds in a house. Mixing a pet grey with a breeder grey is a possible disasture. I've seen it happen over and over. The breeder grey knows that the pet grey is no longer the same type of bird and it isn't unusual for a breeder to maim or even kill that pet grey. The pet grey has changed allegiance to the human owner because of survival and the breeder grey knows this has happened.

Some habits remain the same--the morning chatter and the afternoon chatter. What's heard is all types of sounds, mostly parrotese and it goes on until nature says *stop*. Another sign of the loss of the mentality factor is when two pet birds of the same species are put together. Unless one shows definite signs of not being the alpha bird, trouble is just around the corner.

How many people have come around here to talk about the drastic change in their bird's attitude from when the bird was 6 mts old to when it's now 18 mts old? The main thing being biting. How many people have come around here to talk about the personality change from a cute cuddly bird to a an aloof uncuddly bird? Of course the person thinks it's their fault because in a person's mind that cuddly bird should have stayed a cuddly bird.

How many people have come around here to talk about how frustrated they are because their bird doesn't eat the so called good things that' re offered? I personally believe that a bird is oftened fed things that aren't necessary. No one compares their bird to the wild flock mentality that exists in wild parrots but nature makes sure that some of this flock mentality remains. It's just that the flock mentality is now aimed at the pet owner who in no way can provide the same mentality that wild untamed bird have. How many people have come around here to vent their frustration concerning their bird's lack of interest in the toys that are given? Those wild untamed birds don't play with a huge variety of toys. How many people come around here to vent their frustrations because their bird likes one person over another? The word flock has lost or was never started with that bird and many times, that problem can't be cured.

So, my basic message here is to go out of your way to know as much as you can about that bird that's been pulled away from it's natural surroundings and replaced with human surroundings. Those surroundings are as different as night and day.

So the information Dan has injected in this thread should be carefully studied and that study takes quite a while to learn and understand.

Dave is there anything us humans can do to provide our companions some "wild bird" experiences? I cannot recreate his natural habitat in my living room but I am more than willing to try and offer him pieces of the life he might have had if humans hadn't intervened.

Dave is there anything us humans can do to provide our companions some "wild bird" experiences? I cannot recreate his natural habitat in my living room but I am more than willing to try and offer him pieces of the life he might have had if humans hadn't intervened.

Well, a large aviary can be built. It should have branches in it. It should be outside where all the sights and sounds are near by. Some people go and buy CDs that have a collection of parrots yapping away but that too loses it's appeal because there's no CDs that have just greys in it. Greys only listen to each other. The most well rounded Cockatoo is one who doesn't live in a house. In the wild, they don't pluck. They're very healthy. In a house they scream, pluck and bite irratically. The same thing applies to other species of animals too. Think about bringing a baby wolf into the house and raising it. Yes, it's a baby BUT. So actually, when the wild bird doesn't have the chance to live as a wild bird with other wild birds, *wild bird* experiences can't happen. The same thing applies to many other animals too. A parrot who is now a pet parrot experiences what the owner supplies. Physical contact with other parrots doesn't exist anymore. The natural parrotese talking no longer exists. The sounds they hear are in the house. They can't eat the same things that they eat in the wild. They don't mature at the same rate as the outside parrot. There is no pecking order. Only wild birds can create that. You're already offering him what you can and he'll have to accept that. Pet greys are wild birds and will always remain that way. Becoming a pet parrot doesn't alter it's desire to be in that natural wild setting. It's just that they haven't learned how to live in that wild setting. Another thing that isn't acceptable for a bird to accept is clipping wings. The basic ability to do what comes naturally( flying) is destroyed. All the different things that we do with or to our birds is to satisfy us, not the bird. Some people think that clipping is necessary but no one asked the bird what he/she thinks about doing that.

No one says that you or anyone else is wrong to have that pet bird but changes do occur and we can't do anything about it. Its the price of taking a wild creature and putting that creature into a domestic setting. I'm as guilty as the next person for doing this.

So continue what you're doing. You're not doing anything wrong. Just do your best and make the parrot as happy as you can. It's the only thing left for that bird. Think about trhe original thread started by Dan. Are our greys experiencing that natural healthy environment ?

Edited by Dave007
  • Haha 1

Becoming a pet parrot doesn't alter it's desire to be in that natural wild setting. It's just that they haven't learned how to live in that wild setting. <snip> Think about trhe original thread started by Dan. Are our greys experiencing that natural healthy environment ?

Dave - Your posts are always so true and factual. :)

We as the stewards of a still very much wild african grey must recognize, that through the instinctual dna built in to them, the wild will never go away. A grey is a grey. The best we can do, is understand their wild life and environment. That is the foundation for understand the best ways to interact with them and provide them with as rich an environment as we can to accommodate their flight, gymnastic, foraging and mental abilities as possible.

Edited by danmcq

The most obvious, I would think, would be the contact calls. Timber uses certain sounds in certain situations. I.e. his whistle when he hears me getting up (upstairs, he is downstairs) is the same every morning. I assume that is his "location" call, letting me know where he is so I can get there.

Yes!!! Timber is not only letting you know where he is, but most important to him, is knowing where you are when separated and you contact call back. This is a wild instinct that will never go away. To be separated from the flock means certain death to a lone grey in the wild. The second flock member they will call for desperately is their mate. Then listening intently for their mates distinguishable return call that only they, out of a hundred fold flock has an individual discernible name or sound they make for singular identity. No one can ever stop a grey from contact calling. The only thing you can do, is try to change the perhaps annoying and loud call with a softer call like "I hear you or just a minute". However, as their desperation increases, so will the volume and type of call they use to ensure you hear their urgency and respond.

Fortunately, we live in a big old house and noise levels aren't a concern. I'm grateful for that because he will continue to vocalize until I get downstairs. After I respond, he changes to other whistle patterns and words that I assume are his "well hurry up I'm waiting" repertoire.

The very first thing Misty taught me was his contact call. It was a short sequence of notes that he called regularly and I soon realised what it meant. As I am able to whistle I whistled it back to him. I have never heard another Grey use Misty's sequence so I don't know if he invented it or of his parents taught him but I also assume that it is his Grey name. He responds when I call it to him and of course it carries much better than human speech. I do believe that my whistling it back to him as a contact helped us bond. He was adopted at two years and he is around nine now and we still use it. It is not his only call but it is his original. Typically when I wake up he calls it out to me as soon as he detects my wakening and even though we are a couple of doors separated he can detect the slightest hint life from me. I call him back with it. Once I am in the room with him he may repeat it but the very first thing he says to me is "Hi Babe" That seems to be the name he has given me ! He knows I call him Misty because he responds to that. I am certain that Greys all have their individual personal names that they are known by by their family and flock

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

Dave - Your posts are always so true and factual. :)

We as the stewards of a still very much wild african grey must recognize, that through the instinctual dna built in to them, the wild will never go away. A grey is a grey. The best we can do, is understand their wild life and environment. That is the foundation for understand the best ways to interact with them and provide them with as rich an environment as we can to accommodate their flight, gymnastic, foraging and mental abilities as possible.

The best we can do is allow them to be who they are, respect them, and their struggles to be who they are.... A wild creature forced not by their choice to, live in a human environment that they have no control over.

My parrots don't use contact calls. Sterling Gris says, "Hey open the door, let me out. I want to come out". Or "Come Here". Ana Grey just comes looking for me and so does Louie, the zon. Ana Grey and Louie just calming wait for me to come get them. When they are in their cages they can see me so they are okay with that.

Misty uses his contact call when I am out of the room. When I come back in he says " Hello Baby" like in the short video. It is always the first thing he says to me in the morning. Like Sterling Gris, Misty asks to come out of the cage with "Can I come out?" "Come here". If he thinks I am not acting fast enough he now also puts "Now!" at the end of his requests to turn them into orders! So I get "Come out now!" "Come here now!" "Bed time now!" All these things he taught himself. But I have no idea how he got the idea of putting "Now" to make his ignored requests into commands. When he is put in his cage to sleep just as I leave the room and say "Good night Misty" Misty now comes back with "Bed time Baby".

Steve n Misty

A little more on "Why your grey acts as it does" for your perusal.

I have already talked about the wild instinct of our greys even though they were hatched in human environments. When you bring home your baby grey, it is for the most part following your parrontal lead to observe, learn and be provided sustenance by you and family members. This is how they learn to behave and survive from their parronts in the wild and spend the first few years doing so.

So why is your grey so alert and psychotic sometimes?

This takes us back to the wild instinct that will never go away. Life in the wild is dangerous, and sometimes it is difficult for us humans who are comfortable in our lives to understand this reality. A prey animal like a grey, could be “snatched up” by a predator at any moment of its daily activities, especially a partial ground feeding prey animal. Food may be plentiful one month and scarce the next. Therefore, they are programmed to live in the “now” and adapt their behaviors in order to survive. Although we socialize our greys in our homes, they still operate from an overlay of instinctive reactions. The better we can understand this, the better we can help them feel secure

We know that wild greys are highly sensitive flock animals that rely upon the group for physical and emotional protection, more than many other parrot species. They are seemingly psychically attuned with one another at every moment, as well as physically connected with one another, particularly when at their most vulnerable position, which is on the ground. They are incredibly observant, and if one bird picks up on a predator, they all move in unison at once.

The same is true in the home. Greys have a reputation for being psychically tuned in to the thoughts and feelings of their human flock. If a favored human is stressed out about a job or relationship, the grey picks up on it. Although it may not understand what exactly is going on, it does pick up that “something is wrong.....there’s danger.” It is important to be aware of this tendency and to comfort our greys when there is something stressful going on in the home or even outside the home that your grey can see from a window or hear.

The key is that we need to try and teach our greys so they feel safe in whatever situations they may face as possible. But, they are not fragile birds and do not need to be over-protected either. It is important to introduce change in increments and at their pace, but variety and new experiences are a must. Think about it. If a grey sits in the same living room day after day, with little variety in activities, items in it and view of the room, it probably will instinctively freak if an item has been moved to the other side of the room, as it could be a predator. However, if that item is moved every now and then, the grey would probably be more relaxed and used to the change. It is our obligation as their caretakers to introduce our greys slowly into situations so that they can handle whatever comes along in the human environment as much as possible.

Based on the "wild side", It is no wonder greys have a reputation for being psychotic. The new owners for the most part, have no idea of the underlying wild grey of that cute fluffy feathered grey they just brought home. It is to all our advantages to see the wild grey inside and try to understand why they act and respond as they do.

As a typical grey, Gracie is very aware of her surroundings and can be spooked. This seems to be much rarer as she grows and becomes more confident. Flying is definately a plus for her. She knows she can get away from things that make her uncomfortable. Also, she does what I call "positve self talk". Sometimes if there is loud noise or if she gets bumped riding in the car, she will often say..."It's okay. Don't be scared" to herself. She almost never says that otherwise. I think she is reassuring herself and doesn't get freaked out. When she says this I also agree with her and repeat this assurance back to her. New toys and objects generally aren't a problem although she will eye them suspiciously for a few minutes before approaching.

Wow Jeff, it sounds like you are teaching Gracie very similar to how I have taught dayo over the years. He will do exactly as Gracie. He will say "It's ok Dayo, it's ok" when approaching or experiencing something he is not terrified of, but is unsure of it. :)

My parrots don't use contact calls. Sterling Gris says, "Hey open the door, let me out. I want to come out". Or "Come Here". Ana Grey just comes looking for me and so does Louie, the zon. Ana Grey and Louie just calming wait for me to come get them. When they are in their cages they can see me so they are okay with that.

So your birds are blue collar. Basically, they're saying " HAY YOU!! Get your ass over here on the double!!! That's not a contact call. That's an order OR ELSE!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

:) This is Joe and Spock when we first got Joe. Spock was the flock leader but in this video you can clearly see Spock displaying deference and respect to Joe his elder.;)[FIRST ENCOUNTER]

Note: Your all welcome to view this album, it's just our parrots and photos we've used.

th_spockjoey.jpg

Edited by Jayd