NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey flew out the window

Mickeys Mom

My friend has a 10 week old African Grey baby whom has just started flying this week. She called in tears this afternoon and asked me what she could do becasue he flew out the window. He flew some distance into a sports field where he landed in a very tall tree about 50m high. She cant get him to come down and no one can get into the tree. The fire station said they dont come out to help for those kind of things so we are stuck.

This is stil a BABY and I have been bawling my eyes out since it got dark and she had to leave him there. I told her just to be on the safe side, she should immediately go home and make flyers then post them all around the neighbourhood just in case he flies off during the night and lands in someones property. What else should we do.

i AM JUST SO SAD AND NOT REALLY BEING OF ANY HELP AT THIS STAGE, CRYING ALL NIGHT LONG.

CAN I POST THE DETAILS HERE FOR OUR SOUTH AFRICAN FRIENDS WHO ARE POSSIBLY ALSO HERE AND THEY COULD HELP SPREAD THE WORD. PLEASE

HE IS LOST IN THE - PRETORIA, CENTURION AREA.

TIME HE WAS LAST SEEN WAS AROUND 19H00 IN THE SPORTS FIELDS AT THE DORINGKLOOF SPORTS GROUNDS

HIS NAME IS "GREY" AND HE HAS TWO WHITE TOE NAILS ON EACH FOOT.

IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFORMATION PLEASE JUST REPLY TO THIS POST AND I WILL IMMEDIATELY COME ONLINE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP

The best thing to do is just stay there, have some one bring the cage/toys to the spot. A newly fledged Grey most of the time doesn't know how to fly down from high places, we have to teach them, if the baby has a favorite song, play it/ sing it, call out the name.......

This happened to us when our 8 month old cockatiel flew away from us. She flew into a tree behind our house. It got dark and we never saw or heard from her again:( Some say not to do this but I have wished a million times that I had showered her with our water hose. She would have fallen when she tried to fly again. At the time I didn't want to hinder her defenses in case we didn't get her down by nightfall. Hindsight is always 20/20 right? I don't know if this is an option for you and it is of course a danger in cold temperatures.

I hope she gets her baby back. It is a horrible experience. Please keep us posted!

Just an update about the baby Grey that was lost. We took his cage to the place that he was at and spent the whole day there trying everything you can humanly imagine. Just as it got dark I was about to go and ask the groundskeeper if I could leave his cage ther for the night to see if he would go down when we are all gone. As I got into the car and started driving off he flew down following the car screaming like mad. He misjudged a corner and flew into a soccer net where I managed to get hold of him. He is safe at home. Lots of tears and kisses. Giving him some food and Pedilyte for dehydration. He is so hungry that he started throwing up the food so im going to give him verry small amounts in different stages with the Pedilyte. Thanks for all the concern.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...