NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Beak Problem?

ajlinva

I have a 5 yr old female Eclectus - her top beak had gotten so long, I was almost to the point of taking her to the vet to have them trim it. She is not much of a chewer, but we encouraged her the best we could and finally it has broken off to a normal length. Yesterday I notice a hunk missing on her bottom beak on the side. Is this normal? She is eating fine and her personality has not changed. Thanks, you guys are great!

I have a grey who has a thick beak and best way to describe it is that it grows out from his face and down, like a over bite. Also a macaw who has a crooked beak. Both have to be trimmed by our avian vet regularly, neither are chewers. I don't know but, i wouldn't wait for the beak to break off, it could crack upwards causing more problems. As for the bottom beak, same thing, they both have to get it trimmed as well.

It went well - I think I was worse than she was! They used a dremel tool to clean up a bit and I have to take her back on the 25th for a re-check. The Vet hopes that it will continue to grow out normally. I think she will be just fine, but this might be something like you have to do once a year or so. Thanks for asking!

Ekkie's don't apparently have very strong bills & truth be told, tend to be a little lazy. Kura doesn't bother w/the nuts & harder woods that would really help keep her beak down. But she does like some softer woods, although she won't touch Pine.

She's got a huge hanger of birch disks that she really likes. Makes me think of "how you eat an Oreo". :) She methodically strips the bark, then destroys each disk, one at a time. She loves reed, vine & rattan, too. Balls, baskets & wreaths are her fav. Also does some pretty fair damage on Balsa wood pcs. She may even hold a Popsicle stick while she destroys it. Kind of a big deal because like most other ekkies, she doesn't use her talons often.

So maybe if you experiment some, you'll find something for your girl.