NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Yellow Feather

ajlinva

I have a 9 year old male eclectus that plucks his feathers out, he was doing this with previous owners and has not stopped in the 3 years we have had him. He eats very well and is a real sweetheart. I have noticed that there is a new feather coming out on his wing, which is yellow. I don't know if this is diet related or not. He gets very few seeds, all natural pellets (several types). I alternate days with a bean mix (rice, carrots, oatmeal, and mixed veggies) - the next day it is all fresh fruits and veggies (green peppers, red peppers, carrots, 1 grape, kiwi, mandarin orange, 1 almond, 1 walnut, 1 pecan, 1 pistachio, grape nuts, broccoli, zucchini , yellow squash, soy nuts, snow peas, snap peas, plus I make muffins for them with all kinds of good stuff that they really love, I put sweet potato and bananas and ground up Harrisons, since only a couple of my parrots will just eat them plain. I also sprout seeds for them. I do not give any supplemental vitamins, no dyed foods of any kind. What could be going on, any ideas would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

It is not unusual for an Ekkie to grow a yellow feather when they have been plucking that area. I think it is like when a dog had an injury that heals then the hair coat can regrow in a different color Grey dog black hair to damaged area, white dog often grows brown fur over an injury site. Some times Greys will grow a red feather to replace a grey one in a plucked or injured area.

• Haha 1