NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Update ---swansons red palm oil

Dave007

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon approx 3x a week. Can be given in solid orange form or microwaved until it's a red liquid. Then it can be dripped or placed in or on different foods. The solid form is used for birds who like the taste. Micro takes about 10 to 25 sec depending upon how much you're putting in the micro. You need to let it go back to a coolish state.

Thanks Dave! Glad to hear confirmation because I tried to use my better judgement last night and put 1/4 tsp in his warm baby food snack that he gets every night before bed. I put it in the baby food while still in the solid state and then microwaved it together for 10 seconds. It mixed in very nicely and he ate it up. Now to work on the humidifier and lighting.

Thanks Dave! Glad to hear confirmation because I tried to use my better judgement last night and put 1/4 tsp in his warm baby food snack that he gets every night before bed. I put it in the baby food while still in the solid state and then microwaved it together for 10 seconds. It mixed in very nicely and he ate it up. Now to work on the humidifier and lighting.

Lots of info about Full Sprectum lighting. Lots of it simply has to do with inflated prices. There's bulbs on the market that don't cost nearly as much. They have all the benefits of other bulbs. They're Kelvin bulbs and different companies are known for making a huge variety of different types of bulbs besides bird lights. One of my birds needed extra D3 full sprectum lighting from problems that he had in the past. Actually' date=' he still has the light for good measure. Full sprectrum lighting provides the bird with Vit D3 which is what they get outdoors. Many parrots don't need it. Many do.

This bulb is a 5500 spectrum bird light. [u']The light is attached 15 inches above the roof of the cage.[/u]

It's on a timer. I have it set to copy the natural outdoor lighting--sunup to sundown. It goes on and off no matter if it's sunny outside or not sunny.

It turns on at 10AM and shuts off at 5PM. When the summer arrives, those settings will be increased to imitate sunup and sundown.

I've used these bulbs for years and they work. AND they're inexpensive. Each bulb is made for one bird.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/FULL_SPECTRUM_LIGHTING-Featherbrite_Full_Spectrum_Lightbulbs_15W_20W.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/IMAG0141.jpg

• 1 month later...
Palm oil is used to provide certain vitamins that they eat in the wild which is palm nuts surrounded by palm oil. It's the most basic diet for them in the wild.

Hi Dave, how do you feed it to them, mixed in other food? I've managed to source it from an African importer, it's food grade quality and from Ghana.

It all depends on the bird. Some like it in it's original form out of the container all by itself in a spoon. Others like it spread on bread or put on other bird foods. Others like it when it's melted down to a thin consistency and dripped onto different foods or food mixtures such as chopped up veggies. Making it thin usually requires a microwave. That's the way I use it. At first you need to experiment different ways to feed it. Many birds have to be deceived in order for them to accept it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So we have found ours at a great store called Sprouts. I was looking online to be sure it is okay for the other parrots as well. All said it was but one artical i found said it is like prozac for birds, has a nice calming effect. So far, i have not noticed that, lol. They all have been eating it, i mix it with their dinner once a week, said to help with feather pickers too, ha, wouldn't that be nice and easy. lol

• 8 months later...
It all depends on the bird. Some like it in it's original form out of the container all by itself in a spoon. Others like it spread on bread or put on other bird foods. Others like it when it's melted down to a thin consistency and dripped onto different foods or food mixtures such as chopped up veggies. Making it thin usually requires a microwave. That's the way I use it. At first you need to experiment different ways to feed it. Many birds have to be deceived in order for them to accept it.

I heat baby food and the red palm oil (glass jar) the same way I heated baby food - by placing it in a pan of hot water until it is warm. I am kind of leery of the microwave. I do eat things from it myself, occasionally, but don't use it for anything to give to the birds.

So we have found ours at a great store called Sprouts. I was looking online to be sure it is okay for the other parrots as well. All said it was but one artical i found said it is like prozac for birds, has a nice calming effect. So far, i have not noticed that, lol. They all have been eating it, i mix it with their dinner once a week, said to help with feather pickers too, ha, wouldn't that be nice and easy. lol

Our vet has actually prescribed it for Megan for feather plucking. The only problem is getting her to eat it. :(

I got the $14.00 one (this one) http://www.amazon.com/OKONATUR-100%25-Extra-Virgin-Palm/dp/B0012XKO00/ref=sr_1_6/178-7857745-8921048?ie=UTF8&qid=1400260229&sr=8-6&keywords=red+palm+oil because the description used to state (when I bought this) that it came from small farms in West Africa, and it was in a glass jar. It has a VERY strong scent and taste, which I assume, like olive oil, is due to being "Extra Virgin" as that first pressing is usually highest in plant solids which also means higher in the phytonutrients we are seeking from the plant.

I would LOVE to find a source for the fruit itself just to see if the Greys enjoy it as much as those I have seen in videos eating it in the wild. Are they just THAT hungry or does the fruit really appeal to them that much? I'd love to test that hypothesis on two well-fed Greys and see what their opinions are.

I got the $14.00 one (this one) http://www.amazon.com/OKONATUR-100%25-Extra-Virgin-Palm/dp/B0012XKO00/ref=sr_1_6/178-7857745-8921048?ie=UTF8&qid=1400260229&sr=8-6&keywords=red+palm+oil because the description used to state (when I bought this) that it came from small farms in West Africa, and it was in a glass jar. It has a VERY strong scent and taste, which I assume, like olive oil, is due to being "Extra Virgin" as that first pressing is usually highest in plant solids which also means higher in the phytonutrients we are seeking from the plant.

I would LOVE to find a source for the fruit itself just to see if the Greys enjoy it as much as those I have seen in videos eating it in the wild. Are they just THAT hungry or does the fruit really appeal to them that much? I'd love to test that hypothesis on two well-fed Greys and see what their opinions are.

Yeh, most palm oil smells bad and tastes even worse but the birds like it. Getting the fruit--------well actually it's not a fruit. The innards is a nut. The name on a container says Palm Nuts. The nut is surrounded by the oil. The parrot cracks open the soft shell, eats the oil and works its way to the nut and it's eaten. In the wild, palm nuts are their basic food. As far as getting them---they're only sold by a few merchants across the US and they're extremely expensive and the quantity in a can is small. It's easier to get them in the UK.

I just went online to order some. Have any of you ever tried it from Juka? It says it is 100% pure, organic, extra Virgin from Africa. It is a bit cheaper and I wondered if anyone ever heard of this company.

Within the last 5 to 6 yrs, after facts and benefits to birds were found out, sales went up and prices went down a bit(competition). Most of the basic stores were already doing business so the important thing now a days is price. Loads of stores simply added the item to their inventory. I don't know the price you're paying nor the quantity you're getting but as time goes on, you'll soon be shopping around. As far as what you mentioned, the magic words are the basic description of the product.