NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advise?

kek19

Hi all,

I haven't been active here in, well, a VERY long time, but I'm desperate. Our 13 yr old Timneh African Grey, Charlie, got loose this past Saturday. I've been looking for him from just before sun up, till just after dark everyday.

We've put up LOST posters, contacted the human societies and animal shelters, filed a report with animal control, put an ad on craigslist, and put out a missing parrot alerts. My 10yr old son has gone door to door through out the neighborhood and stops people out jogging/walking/biking. He had an announcement done at school.

I walk up and down through the streets and between the backyards calling him, whistling, playing the microwave beep I recorded on my phone. I carry a bag of Doritos with me shaking it asking if he wants a treat. He's just not answering!

Yesterday, I was walking down the street calling for him, and he flew across the road and circled back to me, started doing the "back peddle" wing landing thing to come down when a huge gust of wind caught him, threw him up and back in the opposite direction, sent him spiraling, he caught himself just above a tree line and then I couldn't see him anymore. I've been searching that area since. But when they're that high, who knows how far in either direction they go.

There's a hawk that's nested in that area too. I don't know if he'd stay where he landed, or get out that area.

If he would just TALK or make some noise different than all the other birds I could find him! How do I get him to talk or whistle? I've tried everything I can think of.

I'm in Michigan, and the fall weather is coming in. It stormed last night, bringing in a cold front. Temps only got into the 50's last night, but today it's a high of 60, suppose to rain again this evening and our low tonight is suppose to be 37! Can he survive the wet cold?

I don't know if I should keep centering my search where I saw him last, or broaden it out more. When he flew over me yesterday, he was wobbly, reminded me of a baby taking it's first steps, but in wing form. His wings aren't clipped, but he only flies a few feet at a time in the house.

Edited by kek19
(added LOST BIRD to title)

Go to where your grey saw you and look there also. Perhaps he will be go there again because he knows you have been there. Don't give up. Take favorite foods that have smell, my parrots can always smell the foods they like when I am eating them and come flying. Also put an ad in the Lost and Found section of the local paper. You have already covered just about everything possible to help find your grey. Think positive. Prayers coming your way and don't give up.

I did put an ad in the paper too, thank you. And I just came in from where I last saw him. I keep going back there thinking the same thing. But if he's somewhere in the trees by the tree line where I saw him go down, he should have a clear view of the house. I would think he'd try to get closer. But then again, it's really windy today, not to mention the off and on rain.

I just wish he would make some noise!

He is most likely confused by all the new sights and sounds. You are very lucky to know he is nearby. Don't give up the search. Keep using famiilar phrases.

*If you can, put his cage or playstand out where he can see it - like your front porch. If he sees it, it might draw him down.*

He is most likely confused by all the new sights and sounds. You are very lucky to know he is nearby. Don't give up the search. Keep using famiilar phrases.

*If you can, put his cage or playstand out where he can see it - like your front porch. If he sees it, it might draw him down.*

Thank you. We actually have his cage out in the front yard and his perch out in the back.

My biggest concern is the rain and the temp drop tonight.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Charlie didn't make it.

When I went on my morning search today, I spread out a bit further and a woman came out asking if I was looking for something. She had found him the night before last while doing yard work. It appears he crashed into a tree. There has been a lot of wind and storms this week. She said she was going to bury him last night but something told her to wait. I was able to confirm it was him and have his body to bury.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I too just saw this. I am so sorry that you lost Charlie. It is a good thing that you got closure, sad as it might be. If you hadn't found him you would probably be wondering for a very long time if that day would come that he would show up. At least with knowing the outcome perhaps once your grieving for your dear friend passes you may be able to open your heart and home to another bird who could use a good home.