NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My birds love Roudybush...do I really need veggies?

1ststatestereo

That's funny, because I usually chop everything to bits & mix it together. Otherwise they play w/their food & waste more than they eat. It just works better w/my cast of characters to dice things up.

They're all different. That's why you need to experiment. But however it works, you really want to get them to eat as much fresh food as possible. As much as it tends to be an adventure to get them to learn to eat good foods, it's much healthier for them. So it's worth it, honest!

They are all different, some like it chopped and some like them whole, some like them raw and some liked them cooked, some like them fresh and others like frozen veg's, that are thawed out in a treat dish. Kids and fids, they are all the same.

My grey loves her Roudybush and Roudybush is the only food that my amazon won`t eat so she gets a fruit blend pellets. I also give all my birds a good seed mix.

Food processors are awesome. You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart or Target. That really helped me with daily prep. You can also use a kabob to hold the carrots - it's great for enrichment too. I chop my veggies pretty small and mix in a small amount of seed, grains and beans. It helps to lessen the "tossing" of the veggies. Or, sometimes it just takes some time for the bird to get used to them (and parrot "time" can be days, weeks or months!)

Do you really need veggies? No. Roudybush is one of the best foods out there and provides all the essentials your grey needs. I use the maintenance and high energy breeder mixes for my greys, and I know the blood test results and health of my birds. So I can say no, you don't "really" need veggies.

But (you knew this was coming), providing a wide variety of natural, fresh foods offers more than simple nutrition. Roughage, foraging behaviour, variety of foods, etc, all add to a rich experience for your bird.

It's rather like offering your bird a cage, or a cage with toys, natural perches, lighting, etc. Your bird will survive in the cage, but I personally want more for my greys.

Don't get caught up in prep, either. Try lacing a large leaf of Kale, romaine lettuce, or other long leafing veggie in and out of the cage bars. Or use one of the food skewers for cages and make a veggie and fruit kabob for your grey. Put some fruit in a paper towel roll with one end pinched closed.

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

• 11 months later...
They are all different, some like it chopped and some like them whole, some like them raw and some liked them cooked, some like them fresh and others like frozen veg's, that are thawed out in a treat dish. Kids and fids, they are all the same.

My grey loves her Roudybush and Roudybush is the only food that my amazon won`t eat so she gets a fruit blend pellets. I also give all my birds a good seed mix.

What seed mix do you give?

I wish my CAG Gracie would eat any kind of pellet. She started out eating Zupreem, but I introduced veggies and sprouts and beans and rice and pasta, egg white, etc....not she wont touch a pellet. I feel like I am her executive chef. If I were you, I would try to introduce fresh veg etc...but I think at the end of the day--u have a sweet deal. Open bag and pour--Oh how I miss those days.... Now if I forget to add corn or peas...Gracie dumps the bowl and says "Gracie want corn and peas". Ugh I had to do a Wal Mart run at 7 am. I wasn't happy.