NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Favorite Food Recipes or Favorite Meal

nevjoe

Write your favorite Recipes, or your favorite meal. Help out some of us who need new ideas about food at home or eating out.

I’ll start with this one

Shrimp with Marinara Sauce

Shrimps! No matter which way they are made, they are very popular, but by far this is the most popular seafood dish in my restaurants. I wonder why? That’s easy! People love shrimp and so do I. The trick to cooking shrimp is not to overcook them, because the longer they cook the tougher they get. Generally speaking, shrimps cook within two to four minutes, and if you heed the warning I gave you about overcooking them, then you should have always nice voluptuous shrimps that taste great. The best shrimp to use for this dish is 16/21 size shrimp, because they have a meatier texture with more flavor, and they have a much better appearance. DON’T buy fresh water shrimp unless you do not like the taste of shrimp.

1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined

3 cups marinara sauce (use my recipe)

4 ounces clam juice

1 cup Italian parsley, chopped coarsely

½ cup basil, chopped coarsely

2 tablespoons red pepper flakes (optional)

1 pound linguini pasta

In a large saucepan prepare the Marinara Sauce. In a large pot add water ¾ and bring to a boil with salt in the water. When sauce is almost completed, add pasta to the water and cook al dente. When sauce is completed, raise temperature to the high, and add clam juice, shrimps, ½ the parsley, basil and red pepper flakes. Drain pasta well, and return pasta back into the pot, now add the sauce with the shrimp and cook for a few minutes, mix well, and serve in a large pasta dish. Top off dishes with the rest of the parsley.

Marinara sauce

When it came to eating this sauce, my kids would say, “ We're not eating that lumpy red sauce.” I would say “Just put the tomatoes on the side,” but my daughter Jo Jo would make it impossible for the rest of us to eat. (I would feel like Jackie Gleason when he said, “ BANG, ZOOM, to the moon your going”) To put it mildly, they weren't the biggest fans of this sauce. Marinara Sauce, is a sauce used both alone or used in other recipes. When I make this sauce I make it in big batches so I always have it on hand in the refrigerator or the freezer. When recipes call for some tomato sauce and you want some body wit pieces of tomatoes then use this sauce. If you need a smooth sauce use my “Mother sauce” in this book. This sauce is cooked fast using the higher heat setting, and stirring the sauce often so it won’t burn.

2 cans plum tomatoes, hand crushed

2 tablespoons garlic, chopped coarsely

1 medium onion, chopped fine

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon basil, chopped

salt and pepper, to taste

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

½ cup Chianti wine (optional)

In a 6-quart stockpot on medium-high heat, add the oil and onions and cook until the onions turn translucent, then add garlic and cook until garlic turns light brown. Now add the tomatoes and bring to a boil while stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to a high simmer and add basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes.

Note:

If you like a sauce with bold flavor, add the wine after the garlic browns, and let boil for 2 minutes before adding in the tomatoes.

Joe

{Feel-good-000200BB}

Tomato Sauce Neapolitan “Mother Sauce

Why I call this the “mother sauce” is because this is where it all starts. This sauce is my main or work sauce, both home and at the restaurant. Once you have a sauce that is so wonderful as this sauce is, you will use it with so many other recipes. If you make and keep this sauce available at all times either fresh or frozen you will be able to have an important ingredient needed in so many Italian recipes. When you reading a recipe and it tells you to add a can or cup of tomato sauce, you won’t have to hurry up and make it, because you will be able to use your own homemade sauce. I Know! “Every Italian says they make the best sauce”, but I’ll put this sauce up against the best of them. It’s unbelievable how many of my customers ask to buy my sauce to take home with them, from my restaurant. I don't have the brag; there are plenty of people who do it for me.

4 cans 28oz. crushed plum tomatoes

1 can 28oz. ground tomatoes

2 cups veggie mix (use my recipe)

2 cans 6oz tomato paste

½ cup Chianti wine (optional)

1 stick butter, room temp

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

½ cup Italian parsley, chopped fine

1 tablespoon fresh basil (optional), chopped fine

1 tablespoon salt

½ tablespoon black pepper

Heat a large pot 8-quart or larger, on medium add oil and sauté garlic and parsley until garlic turns light brown. Raise heat to high and add wine then veggie mix and stir together for 1 minute. Add all tomatoes and bring to the boil stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer sauce stirring occasionally for 1 hour. Stir in tomato paste plus one can of water, bas’ , salt and pepper and cook for another 45 minutes. Slice up butter and add to sauce ,stirring until butter is total incorporated into sauce.

Note:

It’s best to let the sauce settle or even cool before using. Did you ever hear that the sauce always taste better the next day? Well if you didn’t, let me be the first to tell you. It Does. When possible, let sauces refrigerate overnight and reheat very slowly when needed.

By making and eating this sauce you can consider yourself part Italian.

NOW YOU MAKA THE BEST SAUCE.<br><br>Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2007/10/04 19:17

Guest briansmum

gosh, i'm trying my darn hardest not to drool!!!

here in the UK a chain of resteraunts called "frankie and benny's" has become popular and one has recently opened near me. it is supposed to be an italian american 1950's themed place, lots of pasta, pizzas and chicken in sauces. they do a prawn (shrimp) in sauce that sounds like what you make, it's delicious. but i bet yours is 100% times better!!!

Tracy! What do you mean junk food. Thats fast food JUNK is not for me. A chop house is fine dineing and not cheap eather. About 40.00 for a Porterhouse.

Wow! I'm stun that you were thinking I would ask about a good Restaurant and thought I wanted KFC.

When I go to London in the spring I want to eat GOOD.

Joe

OK, since no one else besides Joe sa far has gotten with the spirit of this topic. Here's something quick and mmmm mmmm good:

Take a Pyrex large cake dish about 12 inches wide, 24 inches long and 3 inches deep. Throw a 3 lb good cut of tri-tip or London Broil in it. Season the meat with the normal meat seasoning you love. I use plenty of Season-All for Meat, Pepper, Garlic Powder and dried parsley flakes.

Cut up a bunch of Potatoes and throw them in there. Then get a 1 pound bag of baby carrots and throw them in there all around the meat in the center of the dish.

Then take 2 cans of condensed mushroom soup and put in a bowl along with 2 or 3 more cups of water. Stir it up good then poor it all over and in the dish which should bring the soup level up to about 1/2 inch from the Top.

Cover it with aluminum foil and throw it in the oven at 350 for 3 hours.

Now get a loaf of sourdough garlic spread bread, place the two halves on a square pizza sheet and smoother the two halves with your favorite cheese blend and toast it in the oven at 475 for about 12-15 minutes.

Make your favorite salad and your done.

Thanks Mr. Tech. I can count on you always. Sound like I am going to try that dish. Thanks again.

There is a restaurant here called The Wine Cellar that is Very good. I love the Steak au Poivre and my daughter Val likes the nut crusted farm raised Catfish.

Joe

Karma for Mr Tech<br><br>Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2007/10/05 18:58

• 2 weeks later...

OK Pops...you need to give them some fun and easy recipes like Peas and Macaroni, or Broccoli and Macaroni, quick fixes with only a few ingredients. He thinks everyone has an arsenal of spices, and can fix everything in 30 minutes like he does. Let me just say this...if you have his cookbook, I was his "test dummy" for cooking his recipes. He'd say go cook this and if I had to ask him a question, he'd go in and change the recipes directions. So if anyone wants an easy meal ask him, he knows how to make many!

Valerie

Guest briansmum

mmmmm mac and cheese! havent had that in years!

i like a good old fashioned sunday dinner, roast chicken or beef, carrots, brocolli, parsnips, potatoes roast in sage garlic and goose fat, sausage and onion stuffing and yorkshire puddings, topped off with thick home made gravy.. HEAVEN ON A PLATE!

One of my fave restaurants is Salvatore Scallopini. It was there that I was introduced to red sauce and Alfredo sauce existing on the same plate (manicotti - some w/red & some w/Alfredo). Wow! That is awesome...Now I make my lasagne that way, one or two layers with Alfredo.

There are some local (non-chain) places in my little neighborhood, one is the Villa (another Italian restaurant) and also Cloverleaf Pizza (the best, I don't even want to hear it! You have not had good pizza until you've had Cloverleaf.

You had to get me started, Joe! Now I'm starving...