NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

HELP! Bird flew away!

Rally.no

My African Grey Parrot Alvaro flew out of a window yesterday. I live on the 18th floor and i am very worried about whether he was able to land safely or not...(note:he doesn't have much experience in flying but his wings have never been clipped). There are a lot of parks and trees around and the search party couldn't find any sign of him. We have placed Wanted posters all around the neighbourhood but nobody has called yet. Is it possible for somebody to have taken it? Also will he be too scared to go around searching for food/water (note:the temperatures are dangerously high here) or will he pick a branch and remain there(usual behaviour)

There is a fair amount of blocks of flats around and unluckily yesterday was the day the tallest trees were cut down so there were a lot of people and noise that could have scared him off even further away. HELP!! I NEED TIPS ON HOW TO GET HIM BACK/LURE HIM CLOSER TO HOME/FIND A SIGN THAT HE IS STILL OUT THERE SOMEWHERE!!!! Thank you.

You could put an ad in your local newspaper. If I found an animal, that's where I would look for the owner. I hope you find your grey soon. Don't give up, If there is a favorite toy that you could hang out the window just in case. Put the cage on a balcony perhaps.

speaking from recent experience, keep looking. mine went missing for 3 days last week. posters everywhere!!!! don't be tunnel visioned to one direction. birds will try and backtrack at least ours did. keep looking. soooo sorry it happened I know exactly what your going through. but posters and searching best bet. someone may have him and not sure of it being a pet.

good luck and don't give up.

we also put an add on local ads and on parrot911 website. they sent us great tip email.

Please let us know when you find him, and you will. I can only imagine how horrible this must be. Try to stay positive, can you keep your window open for him? If he is familiar with sitting in the window he is liable to come back to familiar surroundings. The toy in the window someone mentioned is a good idea too. I hope he comes home soon.

Guys, Thank you ALL SO MUCH!! It's day 4 today, there are wanted posters with rewards EVErywhere around. Last night i went around yelling his name when another grey started answering me. Turns out there is a family who keep a grey (2 probably) nearby! My question is: the parrot seems to be yelling VERY loudly and there's echo all around so could my parrot get attracted closer to that area or will he fly even further away?Also there are a lot of cherry trees (favourite food) and it has been raining for 1-2 hours every day since he was lost.

Will he be able to find food by himself?Will he try flying around more? Getting away?(note: he is the shy type-prefers not to move or interact so much around strangers) And finally what are the chances we find him after so many days away? Thank you again, you all really helped!

This is a great idea- we have already offered a reward in the posters all around town. Bad thing is that most people do not know how social that bird is and they give up after reading the posts, saying something like this : " no way , who do you think is going to catch him?3 days? he must be stolen/dead/gone by now". It is enough for somebody to raise his hand and the bird will come ( he only communicates well with strangers when he is scared). That makes me worry that he is easy to get stolen and not returned.

Another problem is that I live in a country where i can't get professional help. I tried informing vet clinics but they just laughed at my face.

As for the cage and toys- they are where you advised me to put them- on the balcony. He's spent a lot of time there but I'm worried he won't be able to return all the way up to the 18th floor.

I REALLY need to know what would be natural for him to do now: will he fly away from the neighbourhood, will he try to get back to home or will he pick a branch and remain there (that's what he usually does when i am not around) .

Thank you All so much! You gave me hope and really helped more than anyone around me could have.

Edited by Rally.no

well from my experience exactly a week ago today anything is possible. mine was gone for almost 3 days. I will say if he is not found already he will be. hunger will be his main issue. obviously he knows people mean food. so my guess is he is closer to you then you may think. if like you said sits at the window a lot he sees the area. good chance he's around. but of course someone dishonest may have him signs of the times. hopefully not. by the 3rd day we said only way we'd find Zuri is if he found us. we had looked high and low. keep thinking positive if he's fully flighted he def could get back up to your floor. mine never flew before and he easily reached 10 stories high when I last saw him.

calling him sunrise and sunset I've been told helps they are most active then.

I hope your reunited soon

It is a terrible time of uncertainty and even though your vets were woefully unhelpful maybe a police report or to an animal rescue might be better received. Keep searching, keep calling for him. Is there any way to get to the roof of your building for a search there? Mostly don't let the weight on your shoulders keep you down, keep looking and something may lead to another something. Best of luck to you, I am so sorry for your distress and Alvaro. In such a time, I don't think there is anything predictable or a natural behavior other than for a frightened grey to hide and be very very quiet. Don't give up, keep up your best.

Thank you both!I call for him every morning and evening, I have now spread even more ads around and marked all wild plum/cherry/apple trees around the neighbourhood. Hopefully I'll find him munching on some fruit or near the other family with a grey. Wish me luck- I'll post a photo when i find him !!!!

• 1 month later...