NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dayo - Writing a Book

danmcq

Dear Dayo, even when I knew how this was going to turn out, it was so scary it almost made my LuLu get sentimental and leak on her own face. Sometimes she goes to the basement to sew and leaves me out of my cage. Our canines are small but maybe it is time to go to the sewing room. It would be a lot less scary than dog breath on me. Thanks for getting back to your computer and author status. You are a favorite of mine and I have heard you so much on the computer that LuLu sometimes calls me Mr. Mick Que.

• 2 weeks later...

My installment strictly from my point of view

I have been reflecting on when it will be time that Dayo will need to go to a new home I hope in decades, not years. I must say Dayo and our experience is not the "Norm". I have not brought him up over the years to be a perfectly trained bird ( If one has ever existed) according to many books and thoughts outlined in the "Commercial" parrot communities propaganda centers.

I say this, because reflecting on how he was brought up, with the generous liberties, routines, expectations, freedom and flightedness. That I MAY have made it nearly impossible for him or jake to find a home that would give them the same freedoms, attention, going to bed (cage) rituals, morning wake up rituals, playing games one on one, giving foods like we do, many rooms arranged to include the "birds" with T-Stands, hanging playing gyms etc. so they can have a space of their own when sitting with us in various rooms.

After reading several books over the years on "Training" a parrot or other bird when young to be a "Good Birdy" in a humans home. I have failed. We live together like a flock of equals. Not a home where every thing revolves around our being comfortable and caging the birds when we tire of them. Like 95 percent of homes treat parrots and other birds.

The people on this forum are a unique group of people that take caring for all critters as a serious relationship and pretty much live "With" their critters. Not the norm of people just having "Pets" they want to interact with briefly then put them out or in a cage.

I have broken MANY so called rules of making Dayo a "Pet" that could reside in a higher percentage of "Human" homes.

My only hope is, when the time comes, someone on this forum will take him or we will find a Parrot lover that will give him all and maybe even more freedom and love than we have.

I worry about him just as if he were one of my own Son's. Which in reality, I do view him as such.

At this point, I would not trust either of my Sons to treat Dayo as we do. They would not like things possibly getting pooped on, chewed on etc. and cage time would become a norm. This is even though they love him dearly and interact with him when they and family come and visit. But, visiting someone is completely different than having them live with you Twenty -Four - Seven. I do have one person here that we both agreed to take each others grey in case something ever happens. But, it's always good to have a back up or two.

I hope and pray others here think about the future years or decades down the road in getting prepared to have a wonderful home your grey or other parrots could continue to thrive in and live out the rest of their lives joyfully.

Hopefully the book/journal will give the new owners insight as to why Dayo behaves and interacts as he does. He is truly a product of his "Family up bringing".

Edited by danmcq

I too worry about my three parrots as none of my family like parrots. Because I am retired I use to let my parrots out of their cages daily, however, knowing that other people will not be doing this, I have started to leave them in the cages all day a couple of times a week so that it will not be a total shock to be left in their cages all day. They have adjusted well.

Dan -

We seem to be a lot alike in our thinking. Our birds, too, are the center of our world. We have a little less routine that your household, with some spontaneity that is sometimes led by the birds and what they want to do.

We have no children to pass them on to. We are hoping to find someone who we can integrate into their lives that will carry on when we are gone. We are already looking into setting up a trust, where the caretaker will get everything with the stipulation that the birds are well cared for. I know somewhere out there is a young person who would love these birds as if they were their children and care for them as such. But all I can do is pray for our paths to cross in this life.

Our birds are not 'trained' either. They don't do cute tricks. They are children, and sometimes they act just like that - spoiled, headstrong toddlers. Toddlers with big, sharp beaks and talons, that can fly.

No one likes to think about dying. But I know I am no spring chicken and I want these babies to be cared for as I do now. I just have to have faith that I will find the person to carry on my job as mommy to this flock when my time comes.

I did tell my husband, if I go before he does, and Mar suddenly begins speaking in a perfect sentence, asking to go fly outside for a little bit, let him out. I promised we'd come back. ;)

Being 61 myself, and having 8 birds at this moment, I too, have worried about this as well. We have no children, and nobody that I can depend on taking the same (or remotely similar) care of my featherheads. Most of my birds are smaller birds, like Budgies, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, and Cockatiels. I could possibly outlive them, but, my Bailey, my TAG, is only 5 months old. He will certainly outlive me. If not, I might just die of grief, myself, soon after. Anyway, this is a serious concern for any Parrot guardian. And I am glad to see it addressed here.

Rereading this brought tears to my eyes, also. It is so very difficult to have a beloved fid go to another home!

The eventual end to this book will be a new beginning, not an end. It really is a celebration of Dayo's life. The joy of him being in our lives and honoring us with the privilege of being able to share our lives with such an amazing, intelligent sentient being. The name we gave him after sharing those weeks at the breeders before coming to our home was carefully selected. When we researched and found the name Dayo, meaning "Joy has arrived", it was the perfect description of what he brought with him coming in to our lives.