NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dayo - Writing a Book

danmcq

This was somehow lost and can no longer be found, so I will slowly add it back to the forum in progressive posts. When we get older and can no longer take care of Dayo, I want information to be passed on to the new owner we select. I have no doubt he will out live us and worry about him being in a happy loving home we move over the rainbow bridge.

So here is the first post:

Dayo - My life in a Human world, as a Congo African Grey Parrot

My name is Dayo. I Hatched into this world on April 28th 2007. I wanted to share my life to this point. The reason for this, is my Human Parents both will pass on before I will. My future home will need to know my background to understand me and interact with me properly. My Mom and Dad spent years teaching, loving and caring for me. I am a sentient being, intelligent, talkative, comedian, demanding and most importantly fully flighted. I enjoy my freedom most of all.

Now, on to my story.

I am a Parrot species called “Congo African Grey” (CAG) that originates in the Congo Rain Forests area of Africa. We are known to have life spans up to 50 or 60 years in the wild. However, the average in the dangerous and tough life of the wild is around 30 years. It is thought the average is 35 to 40 years in captivity. However with a healthy diet of other than just seeds and nuts enhanced with Pellets, Vegetables, Fruit and plenty of exercising like flight and playing, we are expected to live close to our wild maximum life span in captivity.

At some point in time of the distant past, my Parents were captured and shipped to the United States. A Parrot Breeder purchased them legally over 25 years ago. I do know this was made illegal by the U.S. Wild Bird Conservation Act of 1992. The Breederplaced my parents in a small 3 x 3 x 4 cage with a small nest box in it. They lived out the rest of their miserable lives (compared to the wild) in captivity. I do not claim that all Breeders provide this type of living condition, but most do. Also, there are many hundreds if not thousands of breeding pairs that were born in captivity and never knew what it was like to be in the wild; therefore being in the company of Humans and their environment is natural to them.

I was hatched on the 28th of April 2007. The first memories I have, is of feeling the warmth of my mother and father keeping me and the rest of my Clutch toasty warm and safe under them as they would sit and droop their wings down to keep the area enclosed and warm. They also fed us great warm food regurgitated made especially just for us.

Then one day when we were about a week or two old, while my parents were out, I felt a strange warm “Something” pick me up and it also picked up the rest of my clutch!!! The unfortunate part is, our eyes were not yet open when we were taken from the nest, so we do not know what our parents looked like. I guess I and my clutch were lucky; some babies are taken from their parents before they even hatch. However, some Breeders leave the chicks with the parents until 3 weeks of age.

We were then placed in a plastic container with material on the bottom and placed in a warm box with added humidity, it was called a Brooder. It was really a rather small place, but so is a nest of a wild African Grey Pair, which normally sets up home in the hole of a tree. I never felt the nice warm underbelly of my parents again and miss the gentle nuzzles, feeding and pampering by my parents. But, the things handling me and the clutch are gentle, but their hands are a little cold compared to the warm bodies of our parents.

African Grey Tree Hole in the Wild

WildGreyTree-1.jpg

Breeding Cage and Nestbox attached

BreederGreysincage.jpg

1 week old Chicks

AfricanGrey1WeekOld.jpg

Hey, there’s another clutch of Grey’s in another Brooder right next to us and about the same age!! How cool is that? They put something on one of my legs that crimped around it. I heard them call it a Leg Band that will identify me and who the breeder was. It feels rather strange and I don’t like it much. It was also strange being held like that and was actually rather scary. But, while we were all out of the brooder, but remained in the container, they fed us each some pretty good tasting formula and it was warm too! I could hear them talking in high and happy voices to me. They also held me for a while and gently stroked me. It was comforting and made me feel safe and secure.

Both clutches in Brooder

2007_0609African_Congo0031.jpg

When we were getting fed, I kept having to push against the others to get mine too! I later learned I didn’t need to worry, the loving Breeders made sure we each got fed every time. They feed us 4 or 5 times over a 24 hour period. Of course, we’re only 5 weeks old and now have eyes open and can see these blurry huge humans feeding us. They are very gentle and talk to us in very exciting voices. But, we can’t stay out long, we have no feathers and it gets really cold after a while compared to our brooder.

I am 6 weeks old now. I and the clutch are still getting fed 4 times in a 24 hours period. The Breeders let us out of the plastic box and place us on the floor to play , and we also run around and check out these strange looking items they call toys. There is some food items there too like different vegetables and fruit. We love the long time out of the brooder!

We are changing and instead of bare skin, we have downy feathers and other full feathers growing. Everything is white and shades of gray. Even our eyes are black!

I also have this little bright red line of dots (feathers) coming in across my butt!! What’s up with that?

My Red Dotted Butt

2007_0609African_Congo0032.jpg

Some other Humans came over today I have never seen and they sat and played with us all for a few hours. I and one or two others checked them both out and I let them pick me up, once I had walked over to them. My clutch mates, except one, all just seemed to stay away from them and run around on the floor and explore some and eat the fruit and veggies, but I liked them for some reason. They are really nice people and are very gentle with me. I really liked chewing on a shoe lace or two and also on their shirts. They pointed something at me and also at my clutch that made a real bright flash several times while they were here.

These Humans are huge towering like trees. I have to look straight up and focus my eyes really hard to see all the way up to their face and eyes. Just their feet are larger than me! When they reach out to get me, it looks like large tree branches bending out towards me. I wonder how big I am going to get and if that’s what my Parents actually looked like? Oh well, I’m too young to worry about this stuff. It’s play time!

We’re 8 weeks old now and the same people keep coming back every week. I run over to them when I see them. I really look forward to these visits. We were all transferred to the big cage at 7 weeks. So both clutches totaling 7 Greys are sharing it. It’s interesting living in a big enclosure. We can climb all over the place and all the way to the top. It has a few perches at the bottom we can get on and sit. It also has some nice towels and blankets on the bottom. They feel soft when I fall. I am clumsy sometimes and just lose my grip.

Here we are at 8 Weeks

BothGreyClutches.jpg

It’s interesting getting to know and socializing with the other clutch. Sometimes, we beak each other too hard! One of us had a blood feather bitten and the Breeder moved him to another enclosure for a while so he could heal. I guess we are still learning how to use our powerful beaks properly. He is ok now though and back with us. For the most part we each tend to stay close to our own clutch in the cage and sleep next to each other.

When I see those people that come over and they walk in the Room. I always run to the front and climb up the cage door and peep and whistle at them. Some the other Grey’s would call too and want their attention, but I was always hanging on the front of the cage door so they would get me first. One or the other of these humans would pick up other Grey’s as well that wanted attention. The breeders also played with us everyday and we had lots of interaction. My Feathers are now becoming very full and those Red Dots on my butt have turned into pretty red growing tail feathers. I like them!! The people coming over I play with liked all my feathers they carried on over my red tail.

8 Weeks – Notice how the other clutch stays isolated sometimes

TheOtherisolatedclutch.jpg

Edited by danmcq

There is also an 8 week old sun conure that is normally out with us running around too. He’s a quick little bugger that gets to stuff before us sometimes, but he’s a cute little guy. We put up with him, but chase him off if he gets in our way. There are also 5 Cherry headed conures about 6 weeks old in a cage we watch and peep at. Then there is a monster of a bird, it’s a Greenwing Macaw named Barney that sits on a stand and watches over us. His age is around 30. He sometimes rattles the walls with one of his squawks’ or loud Hello’s.

Two of us were drawn to these people called mommy and daddy

Dayoandotherwithkim.jpg

I like chewing on Dads shoes

Dayochewingmyshoe.jpg

Me and Mom at 8 Weeks

Dayoeightweekswithkim.jpg

The pesky conure....

reducedsunandus.jpg

We are being raised by Humans, in a Human world and rely upon them for everything. Even though we have the instincts of an African Grey Parrot, we are naturally drawn to Humans and learning how to get along in the only world we know. The Breeders knew this was crucial for our placement, happiness and thriving with our future Human owners.

They have been very careful to ensure we are learning all the basics like a Cage is our home, primary food area and place of safety, to step-up, know what a towel is and play with it. They also keep giving us different food items and toys with different textures and colors. But, as with all us African Grey’s, there are some things that we just look at from a distance for a while, before we even think about going near it.

I like the Breeders and the way they love us and take care of us. But, something was different about these humans that kept coming over. I don’t know why, but I seemed drawn to them, especially the one now known as “Mommy” the other is called “Daddy”. He’s ok, I like him too, but not as much. I am getting more attached to them each time they visit.

I’m going to fast forward to 12 weeks now. Since weeks 8 through 11 continued on as they were, except we are getting fed formula less often, eating pellets, mashes, vegetables, fruit etc., and we continued to grow very fast. I heard them call it abundance weaning. I don’t care what they call it, I call it Good!

I am now flapping my wings a lot; due to some uncontrollable urge that I’ve had for the past week to hang on to something and just flap away! Boy do they create a lot of wind and I can feel my feet pulling against the bar or finger as I do so. I let go once and took off. Boy was that scary; I landed well very soon and walked around thinking about what just happen. The breeder seemed very happy and was talking to me in a very high and happy voice. All the others in the two clutches are doing the same. The Breeder said something about not needing a thing called a fan to keep them cool. They also turn all the ceiling fans off before any of us or other Parrots are let out.

My Dad and Mom, always check the metal thing around my leg when they come over and I walk up to them. I heard them say, yep its number 001. There’s another Grey from the other clutch starting to hang around them too and getting picked up. They check its band too and say, yep its number 006. This is starting to get me jealous, I always go back and forth between dad and Mom when 006 is with one of them. I usually try to get Mom to just pick me up and 006 can have Dad.

While my Mom and Dad was over visiting. We were hanging out on the floor playing and a very small dog came running in and spooked us. We all quickly flew up to the sofa, chairs or other item about 3 or 4 feet off the floor. Then we saw it was just the little dog we are used to seeing him run around the house while in our cage and quickly returned to the floor to play. I guess it was just instinct to fly when we feel threatened by a quick unexpected movement. It felt pretty good to fly and my Mom and Dad carried on like I had done something amazing.

One odd thing happened that alarmed me while sitting on my Dad’s chest. He was sitting on the floor with his arms supporting his upper body. All of a sudden, the biggest Grey from the other clutch flew across the room and landed with his beak biting into my Dad’s hand making a hole and drawing blood. The Breeder asked my Dad if the Grey just attacked him. My Dad said yes, but didn’t know why. After that, my Dad always called that bird “the Grey from Hell”. This Grey would from then on, growl at the Breeder and my Dad even when they would just approach the cage to get us all out. I heard my dad say, that if the Grey’s attitude didn’t change, it would make a good breeder possibly. The Breeder laughed. I don’t know why! But, that larger Grey was always a loaner, hanging out in the back of the cage and the others from its clutch would sometimes huddle around it.

The Breeder sent samples in from all of us today for DNA testing, to see what sex we are. My Mom and Dad have been talking about something called a “Name”. They have been researching appropriate African Dialects to find just the right one for me. They are going to wait until the DNA test comes back.

I wish that other Grey would just stay with the rest of its clutch! When Mom and dad left today, the breeder had to hold me because I kept peeping and trying to fly after them. I miss them now every time they leave. The Breeder told my parents I keep looking and peeping for at least 10 minutes after they’re gone.

Week 13 and we’re flying every chance we get when let out of the cage. It’s rather scary, not knowing what’s around that big opening or flapping too hard and seeing the top of the sky as we rapidly approach the 8 foot ceiling. Most times I will turn back to where I came from and land, then fly a circle again. It tried landing on places other than my cage and found some of them just fall over, like lamp stands, standing picture frames etc. For the most part, once I have flown a little, I like to be on the floor playing, eating new things, tearing up toys and having fun with the breeders and especially my mom and dad when they come over. Sometimes when there is a toy or a food item I like, I’ll go pick it up and all of a sudden others come around me and want it. I run away and they chase me and try to get it. Most the time I just run and turn until they stop trying to get it. Sometimes though, one of them will get it and then I chase after them. It’s fun, but I don’t like having something taken away from me and the others don’t either.

They talk and laugh with the breeders a long time when they are here. They have become very good friends and enjoy each other’s company. I hear them talking about what I and the others have been doing each day and also the others Parrots here that are growing up. They have many cages and enclosed flights they built outside with many types of Conures, Macaws and Greys. We sometimes play with the other babies when they are out when we are and it changes the dynamics of what we do and how we play. Some of them are BIG and I try to go buddy up with them and get some preening. Some will and some won’t and run me off. So I go chase the ones smaller than me off, because they bug me. I wonder if that’s what the big macaws think about me? But, my mom and dad played with them, especially the macaws.

I really got jealous when a blue and gold macaw laid on my mom’s chest and then placed its head on her shoulder like a human child does. My mom liked it and cuddled it for a long time!

Here's the evidence

2007_0825African_Congo0021.jpg

...and the B&G showing off starting to Fledge...

2007_0825African_Congo0015.jpg

Enough said for this entry!!! Gotta go cool off a bit!!!

Edited by danmcq

Week 14 and I have continued to enjoy the flights we all get to take when out of that big box they call a cage. We chase each other and sometimes have some crashes. This flight thing is really exciting, but turning and landing on some things is kind of tricky. But, I am learning how to bank, slow down and what NOT to land on. I also learned I can make short hops to get to things quickly before the others.

My mom and dad came over today with a small cage and took me outside and placed me in this thing they called a car. As we started moving , I saw and heard very strange things. Then, when they took me out, we were at a different house and they let me out of the carrier. There was only one other bird there, they called Jake and he is a peach front conure. He is a small cute little guy and reminds me a little of the sun conure at the breeders. I saw a huge cage and my parents let me climb up in it and check out some of the new and scary toys I had never seen before.

They also played with me on the floor with foot toys and even something they called a Furbie. It surprised me when I touched it and it laughed!! But, then I enjoyed it so much a played with it for quite a while. I met two big dogs called Doberman pinchers. They look scary and my dad held them at a distance. We just checked each other out for a few minutes, and then dad put them in another room. I could hear them barking to be let out.

I stayed at this new house for 4 hours and explored, played with mom and dad, slept a little, ate a little and then they put me back in the carrier and took me back to the breeders. I enjoyed it so much! I did not want mom and dad to leave without me. I saw something on mom’s face that looked like a small drop of water as they left. She and dad both seemed sad to leave me at the breeders too. I can’t wait until they come back again!

Playing wit a foot toy at Mom and Dads

2007_0728African_Congo0018.jpg

Checking out the new digs, see my travel cage to the left

Reduced_DayoEats_2007_0721African_C.jpg

Week 15 - The breeders did something to my wings and I can’t fly all of a sudden! I can only flap down to the floor at about a 45 degree angle. When mom and dad came today and saw that my wings were clipped, I heard them talking to the breeders about having already stated they did not want that done. The breeders said it was their policy not to let any bird go unclipped and would not let mom and dad have me, if they had not done it. Mom and dad seemed sad and didn’t talk to the breeders as much as normal today.

They brought the carrier though! I couldn’t get in it fast enough. Then we went in that strange vehicle and next thing I know, I am at their house again. I couldn’t wait to get out and was clawing at the door and contact calling them to make it so in a hurry! This time I went straight to the blanket on the floor which had lots of cool foot toys, some fruit, veggies and that furbie I love so much.

They have to carry me around now if we need to go someplace, rather than me flying after them like last time. I am a little scared of moving very fast now when I am climbing up or down. I also just lean in the direction of where I want to go and they place me there so I can investigate whatever it is I am curious about.

Oh, exiting news, the DNA test came back and I am a Boy! I could have told them that… Mom and Dad were very excited and started calling me “Dayo” right away. They said it means in an African dialect “Joy has arrived”. It sure did for all of us. We are all so happy when together!

After playing for a long time, I fell asleep for a while when I crawled under moms arm and laid down on the floor. That was nice, we all just laid there and napped. At least I think they did too. Then we played some more and it was time to go back to the breeders. I don’t like going back there and don’t understand why I can’t just stay with mom and dad. They have that big cage and we have so much fun. So we got to the breeders and said our good buys. I look for them everyday when I wake up. Every time the doorbell rings and people come in, I look to see if it’s them and it’s not.

Week 16 - Things are hopping here at the breeders. It’s different today. When mom and dad got here I was hanging on the cage door contact calling like always and they said hi and then just ignored me. Instead they were in the kitchen with the breeder doing something in a huge pot and talking about it. They were in there for over an hour talking and doing things.

Finally they came and got me out of the cage. But, they also got another Grey out too that always hung out with mom and dad. They placed me and her both in the carrier! Now this is weird. But, they left me and her in there and they started carrying out bags of stuff from the kitchen where they had been doing all that stuff. Then they talked with the breeders for a long time again and we left.

We got to the house and brought all the stuff in they had brought over from the breeders. They put it up in a big white box that was very cold. It looked like little bags of food we had at the breeders. The Dobermans were coming up and looking then smelling us in the carrier. They put the Dobermans in another room, then they let me and her out of the carrier.

I noticed right away my cage was arranged differently. The perches were low and some nice soft towels were in the bottom. There were also a lot more toys hanging in there than last time. I checked it all out. The towels were soft and the toys were fun for the most part. There are couple of that I am not sure if they are evil monsters or not yet. So I am staying away from those! The other Grey (They called Leah) was checking things out and kept running after mom and dad. Of course I did too! One time dad turned around to walk and she was right at his foot and he kicked her a little. Not too hard though. He got real sad and picked her up and cuddled her. I guess from way up there it is hard to see us standing right at their feet and they can’t hear our footsteps.

I and she played with mom and dad. We played with our toys, climbed around the cage inside, outside and also each played with each other. We always liked each other and also mom and dad. Mom and dad started calling her Leah. We all went in a big room with a huge thing that showed pictures and made lots of sounds for a few hours. I and Leah hung out on the top of the couch, preened and beaked each other.

Me and Leah

2007_0804African_Congo0024.jpg

More me and Leah at Mom and Dads

2007_0804African_Congo0001.jpg

Then it started becoming dinner time and they made us formula nice and warm like we had at this time of day. I ate a lot, but Leah didn’t eat very much. She also had not been eating much of the food they had out for us all day.

This is weird, it’s getting dark and we are still here. Usually they take me back to the breeders before now.

We spent a few more hours playing and hanging out with mom and dad. Then they picked us up, very gently held and snuggled us and put us both in the big cage and covered us. They said good night to us and then it got real dark and quite. We are spending the night!! I have always wanted to stay here and now my wish has come true. We slept real good and didn’t wake up once during the night.

Before it was light, I heard dad up and doing something in the kitchen. That big box came on and started making noise and I smelled a strong odor and I could see through the cover a blurry image of him lifting a cup to his mouth. Leah woke up too and pretty soon we couldn’t stand it any longer. We started our little baby cheeps and panting. Dad came over and uncovered us. Then he talked to us a while in a gentle voice, rubbed our beaks and gave us some scratches, then went back to watching that noisy box.

After a while mom came in and we excitedly cheeped at her too and she came over and got us both out of the cage. We were both so excited we started climbing all over her. Dad came over and got Leah then we all had some snuggle time. I stayed with mom and did not like Leah getting her attention.

Then dad got a thing out he put each of us on, one at a time. I heard him call it a digital scale. It had a nice perch for us to stand on. Then he wrote something down on paper. He seemed anxious after he weighed Leah and him and mom talked about it. They fixed us a lot of good stuff to eat like veggies, some fruit and some of that wonderful 15 bean, oats, barley, nuts, seed and flax mixture they brought from the breeders all nice and warm. I ate a lot, Leah did not.

They called the breeder and talked to them for a while. I heard dad saying something about Leah’s weight going down rapidly and her not wanting to eat. Then they put her in the carrier and left. When they came back, Leah was not with them. I never saw her again. I did hear them say she was fine, just not completely weaned yet. They decided that I was going to be enough to handle and declined to bring her back a week later.

Oh well, I am now the only one who will get attention from mom and dad. Except for Jake the conure, who doesn’t like sitting on them and hanging out like I do. He just likes to get treats from them and hangs out on his cage or perch. He does keep trying to come and get close to me, but I don’t like that and chase him away.

Edited by danmcq

Now the rest of my life’s story begins…….4 to 6 months

Well this is great! Dad is home all the time, but Mom goes to work. I miss Mom during that time. I heard Dad say he had taken two weeks of vacation to ensure “Dayo” bonded with him. He said I was his idea and was his bird, Ha! I love mom and like dad. He is fun to play with and kick around the house, but mom is the one I love to cuddle with and get scratches.

We have these big creatures here called Dobermans. . They are always walking up and sniffing my cage and sometimes get real close to where I am. I almost beaked one of them but Dad said NO and pulled them away from the cage and made them sit. I feel sorry for them, so I throw food out of my cage and watch them eat it. Dad puts the Dobermans somewhere and gets me out of the cage.

We play on the floor together with lots of cool stuff. I have these little foot toys and even a talking furry thing the call a Furbie! I learned he talks and if I touch him in certain places, he makes sounds and moves. It was kind of scary at first, but I decided I could knock him over and climb all over him….BIG FUN!!! Then after a while they took Furbie away because I was trying to chew parts of him off, shoot! When I get tired, I walk over and get under dads arm right next to him and lay down to take a nap. I think dad takes one too, but I’m not certain because I’m asleep. He is always a wake and looking at me when I wake up.

Then after a while he puts me back in the cage and lets the dogs out and plays with them. I can chirp all I want and he won’t let me out! Doesn’t he know who I am? King of the Jungle and Ruler of the Air! Well I tell you, things are going to change around here.

I like to ride around on dad’s shoulder wherever he goes. I sit and watch on the this big box with pictures he calls a computer. I think I saw him writing something and putting pictures of me on it. He put it in a place called greyforums.

Sometimes when I get bored I climb down his arm and walk around on the desktop where the computer is. There is lots of neat stuff on it I like to try and play with. Some of my toys are there too, but I want to get a thing called the mouse, keyboard or ink pen. I have been fast enough to pop a key or two off that keyboard. But, then dad took it away and snapped it back on to it.

I look forward to when mom comes home after work and call for her the minute I hear the garage door open and the car pull in. The dogs do to because they are running all around by the door and wagging their tails. Mom always says hi and pets them first. Then she comes over to me and says hi and talks sweet to me. After she gets ready, she always makes me some hot formula or what they call baby food that is carrots, yams, green beans or other tasty stuff. She feeds it to me from a spoon. I get kind of messy when I bob my head uncontrollably sometimes and mom wipes my beak. We always have a nice evening sitting together, cuddling with mom, getting scratches and sometimes I fall asleep for a while.

Then they start turning off things and lights. Then Mom carries me to my cage and dad follows as she puts me in. They both talk sweet to me and tell me good night and Jake too. Then they cover our cages and the whole room gets dark. But, there is a little light they always leave on that I can see a little through my cage cover. I can’t wait until I hear them in the morning getting coffee before they uncover my cage. I wish I could go where they go instead of my cage. But, they say it is for my own safety.

One day, just a few days after I came home. Dad put me in my carrier that he takes me places in. We were in the car for a while. Then when we got out we went into a place I had never been. It had people and other critters of all types in it. He talked to a person then we went and sat down for a while. Some people were coming over and talking to dad and looking at me. I don’t know who they were. But, they seemed nice enough and smiled, so I guess they were ok. Then dad picked me up and we went in a small room. In a few minutes another person came in with a white coat on. She and dad talked for a minute. Then she opened the door of my carrier! Well she seemed nice enough and I stepped up onto her hand when she offered a step up talking sweetly to me. She looked me all over, in my nares, under my wings and at my behind. Then she put me on a scale kind of different from what I am used to, but I was ok with it. Then she scooped up some of my poop from the carrier! Now how weird is this person? She gave me a good treat, gave me back to dad and left the room. She came back after a while and seemed happy and so did dad. I think I kind of like this lady. Maybe I will see her again. Then we left and went back home. Boy was I happy to see my house again. Dad let me out of the carrier and we hung out, ate some food and played with toys until mom got home.

This same scenario went on for almost two weeks. Then one day a bunch of people came over and children too. I like people and climbed on some that offered, even the bigger children. The little humans are very fast and jump around. I am not too sure, but I think they are a little scary. I don’t trust them. They all seemed like a happy bunch and were laughing and talking to me and others. It was fun having all these people here and excitement was in the air. We ate good food and yes I got a little bit too. Then they all left and it was just our normal flock here.

Then on the next Monday, dad left saying goodbye to me and that he loved me. I don’t know what happened, but I didn’t see him for 4 days and nights. Then he came home and boy was I happy to see him! I was happy having mom all to myself, but dad is one of the flock and it was good to see him back and know he was ok. This keeps happening every week and I am getting used to his schedule and my having to stay in my cage all day with no one is home until mom gets home after work. They do have lots of toys for me to play with in my cage, that I like to chew the wood off of and some foraging ones that have nuts like almonds in them that I have to work at to get one. So it keeps me occupied when I am home without them.

This thing they call a phone rings every night when dad is gone. Mom talks and then I hear my dad’s voice coming out of this thing. I can’t see him but I want him so bad. I try beaking the phone, cheeping and panting as I hear him say hi and how he loves me. Then after a while he tells me and mom goodbye. I miss him….

Edited by danmcq

• 6 months later...

Thanks all!

Well, I guess it's time to continue a little more. I did speak with a few other authors on greys regarding their thoughts on a few snippets. Their comments were a little negative, such as "You cannot possibly know what dayo is thinking". Then encouraged me to write it from my perspective. Though I do not totally agree with their critique, do see their point and criticisms I would receive from the parrot/scientific community. Personally, I do believe i have some limited insight in to what dayo is thinking and why at times. So, it will be a while, but I will continue with more. :)

Guess it depends on the audience. If you are writing a scientific document, you need to back it up with facts. If you are writing for a specific group (like other parronts), I think it is fine to write from your interpretation of Dayo's thoughts from your perspective. Personally, I enjoy your "thoughts on his thoughts."

Oh, thank you to all who have encouraged me to continue! :)

7 months man time fly’s –

My eyes are starting to turn a little lighter now, to almost a silver-charcoal color.

Here is a shot of me eating a snack while surfing the forums at 7 months old.

2007_0922African_Congo0004.jpg

It’s starting to get colder, the days shorter ( December) and I am really starting to get itchy and keep finding all these loose down feathers. Boy, looking down through my cage grate, I see almost a semblance of snow covered ground. When dad cleans and changes the paper, he always mists it with water before he pulls it out. It keeps all those down feathers from floating away when he pulls it out. Mom and dad were starting to get worried I was starting to pluck or something at first.

But, they talked to the breeders and also posted a question on the grey forum and a very knowledgeable man named Dave007 with decades of experience breeding Grey’s, working in a rescue with many types of parrots and helping problematic Grey’s he rescued himself answered. He told them what was going on and that the first molt is always the largest. I am just getting rid of all my baby feathers. Dave007 also advised them to mist me with 100 percent Aloe Juice until drenched at least 2 or 3 times a week, to keep my skin nice and supple and less itchy.

So they take me in the shower and try to convince me it’s fun. I don’t like the water hitting me so I just sit up on the bar and watch. They keep taking me in there, showering and then when I don’t get wet. They just get out, dry off, place me in the bottom and mist me with a spray bottle until I am completely soaked with Aloe juice. I hate it that I can’t escape!

Yep, I am growing up (I think) and starting to think maybe I should start seeing if I can have my way sometimes. Lets what happens if I um, let me think about this…not step up! Here comes the request and hand, ok backing up a little, showing a little body language that it's not what I want to do. Drat’s, it didn’t work. They just kept coming forward and I stepped up. Then they took me and put me in the cage so they could leave. Not really a positive experience or what I wanted. I am going to have to rethink this strategy!

I also don’t want any more of that baby formula or human baby food. I just turn my head or push the away. So they quit offering it and now give me more of the bean mixes, birdie bread, lots of cut up veggies cooked and uncooked. I like them both ways. They also sneak some stuff in they call Red Palm Oil. It’s good for me, but if they get too much on it, I can taste it and will not eat it. I think they are still slipping it to me and must investigate this further.

I am becoming very in-tune with the function of this flock. Mom and Dad are the “Big Birds” and everyone else seems to do what they ask. In return, they give us a good home, plenty of food and lots of good times, well most the time except for those darn showers!

I have to watch out for the Dobermans. They get very excited when I flap by and sometimes jump up and snap at me. Dad always tells them “DOWN”, which they do and then tells them to go on and to leave me alone. I must learn that sentence once I can figure out how to make those sounds. They seem to obey every time Dad or Mom say’s it. They are so dumb! They do everything mom or dad tells them to and also just follow them around mindlessly. I tried to reach down and bite Bentleys ear one evening and Dad quickly pulled me up and was very upset. I don’t know why? I was just going to give him a little friendly beaking to see what it felt like.

I am getting pretty good at flapping as hard as I can. I can usually make it from the kitchen all the way into the living room about 20 feet away and land on the couch. Sometimes I don’t quite make it though and need to find a safe place to land. Still figuring all the objects out that may be a good crash landing spot when I have engine trouble or run out of gas. Sometimes I land on Mom or Dad if they’re in the path and grab real hard with my beak to steady myself and find a good footing. They don’t seem to like that very much and wiggle a little, I’m glad they were there at those times though.

I must think about all this some more and make some important decisions about how I want to fit into this flock and let my wishes be known and claim what my area and things are Mine, Mine, I tell you!

Edited by danmcq

Thanks all!

Well, I guess it's time to continue a little more. I did speak with a few other authors on greys regarding their thoughts on a few snippets. Their comments were a little negative, such as "You cannot possibly know what dayo is thinking". Then encouraged me to write it from my perspective. Though I do not totally agree with their critique, do see their point and criticisms I would receive from the parrot/scientific community. Personally, I do believe i have some limited insight in to what dayo is thinking and why at times. So, it will be a while, but I will continue with more. :)

;)Hi, Dan and members, here is the currant guidelines for APA formatting which is accepted by all collages and university's. ? Hope this might be helpful..........http://psychology.about.com/od/apastyle/a/apageneral.htm

Edited by Jayd

Hi Jay, not certain why this was provided? I am not writing a college or scientific paper, which I had to do when obtaining my BS in electronic engineering. I am writing a non-scientific book for peoples reading pleasure. Not for the stuffy scientists out there that still do not believe a parrot does anything but "Parroting". :P

Hi Jay, not certain why this was provided? I am not writing a college or scientific paper, which I had to do when obtaining my BS in electronic engineering. I am writing a non-scientific book for peoples reading pleasure. Not for the stuffy scientists out there that still do not believe a parrot does anything but "Parroting". :P

Sorry, didn't mean anything bad.....Trying to offer some help.

Edited by Jayd

• 8 months later...

I realize this is an extremely late reply, but as I have just found the forums, I hope you will understand. Your touching narrative of your baby's early days brought tears to my eyes. I hope you did not let the naysayers convince you not to continue, as I enjoyed every word. Bah to the 'scientists' and their version of how things should be. My babies, all of them, have often proved the 'experts' wrong. Ever day when I interact with the Greybies, they continue to awe and amaze me. Marden with his gentle but persistent stubborness, and Megan with her amazing communication skills. I don't read their minds either, but I have gotten pretty good at second guessing what they're thinking - as they have also done with me. I'd love to hear more about your experiences with your friend Dayo, and your take on his perspective is adorable.

I will pick this back up and start updating it. My goal is in the future time that I must find Dayo a new home when we can no longer care for him. Is to have a complete life story of his expectations and interactions with his first human family. I believe it will be invaluable for them to truly appreciate his intellect and personality. He knows so much, it's almost scary and still learning. I will never let him go to another home unless they are going to give him tons of out of cage time, he must remain flighted for the balance of his life and be mentally challenged and in an invigorating environment to ensure he does not become a broken and bored soul just living out his final days. This is my biggest fear. Everyone swears when they get a grey it is their final home for life and will be a free and functional part of the family at all times. Yet I see over and over birds rehomed because they don't fit the new owners life style.... I fret over this actually. I find it no different than if I was going to die and had to find a new parent for my young birthed human child.

I agree exactly with you Dan. I wish I was younger, I would give you the home you are looking for for Dayo. He is one special grey, and he needs someone who believes and thinks as you do. I am certain you will find that person and his forever home.

Just make certain that whoever you chose, knows how lucky they are to be new parronts to Dayo. He is famous heresy Greyforums! :)

Edited by Talon

I know I read some of this on the first postings and enjoyed going back to read it again from a new perspective having watched Dayo and having enjoyed your posts for a while. I do love it being from Dayo's perspective. I think he is unique and a big part of that is where he gets his speech and many actions from your examples. My vote is to keep Dakota close to Dayo, I remember fondly that Dayo wanted the camera to take pictures of Dakota. That is a part of both their histories. Also, just for me... please, please, please I would beg you to have an entry or two of Dayo and his neck pinch technique for training a certain secondary human in his life. Hahahahaha. You know Dan, there are a lot of books written about the scientific aspects of raising a grey, and about rescues of greys, but I haven't seen one yet that is from the grey perspective. One of my favorite movies of all time is Paulie and I would love to have you write for two reasons, one to create a loving connection from Dayo to a perspective surrogate home but also as a book written for adolescents as well as the rest of us who are kids at heart. Your story may seem like its ordinary to you because you live with Dayo every day. But in this day and age where you could write for digital distribution, you could include Dayo's recordings and it would be wonderful for the people who are not able to be on grey forums with you for joining your journey. Plus, Dayo may start forgetting your first house with the crows and the other sightings from his window there. The transition and preparations for him to move to his new home would also be invaluable to someone moving. I can think of a thousand reasons for you to keep up with helping Dayo type his book.

Oh thank you Dee. You have some GreYt reasons to continue and things I had not really considered in regards children and things I had never dreamed of writing about like the Neck Pinch's. Thank god I have not received one of those that I can remember for a year or so now. :)

He still talks about things at the old house and Dakota. But, the idea about Dakota is great. Dayo will be at how much she has grown over the last 9 months since their last visit. They are coming down for Thanksgiving. Dayo does try to get a few words in to her on the phone when we are talking to her. The first sight of her when she was a we baby lying and rolling around on the floor just mesmerized him and it was instant fixation on her from that day forward. Who knows, maybe he has seen the future and can't believe she will be his new home 15 or 20 years from now. Well thats stretching it. I don't think we will live that much longer, possible but I don't think so. Thanks for giving me more things to write about Dayo!!!:)

Oh I do love the movie Paulie!!! Every bird owner should watch it! :)

I almost forgot this. I got so wound up writing this, that I forgot the cover for my book. Yes folks, your worst nightmare come true. It's really me Dayo doing this and as you can see behind me. I am the secret "Other" admin lurking in the background of this forum. We greys have you humans wrapped around our talons. You should be afraid, very afraid. Now, back to my writing....

4e5dd4ea-d0e2-4c1c-8200-790d46bf560a.jpg

Edited by danmcq

Dayo, while you have access to writing instruments, make a list of how you like your meals served, what treats are special to you, what kind of kitchen faucet you prefer and anything that has given you big scares so just in case you decide to grace a new human with your presence they will know some of this. It will save you a lot of grief from the trials and tribulations of training a human. You might get stuck with a big dumb one like mine. She made me so mad with her big dumb foolish attempts to please me, I didn't think I was ever going to get her trained. She won't let me have a computer or even a small scrap of paper to etch with my blood to give her instructions. Good lord. If you get a really helpless human they might even call you a girl forever. Hard to believe, I know, but these humans don't have a clue they are the weaker species.

8 Months

My Eyes are a silverish color now. I have mastered a host of whistles and sound effects. I do not speak human yet in front of anyone, but I have heard my mom and dad saying they think they hear me mumbling things under my breath when I think they are out of hearing range. They don’t realize, I calibrate, practice and recalibrate in my mumblings until I have a word down pat and only then will I ever say it loud enough for them to clearly hear it. But, I’m not satisfied yet. So for now, as far as they know, I don’t talk. I have heard my dad talking to friends and when asked if I talk. He tells them no, but that I may someday. But, he also adds that even if I never do talk human, he loves me and just enjoys my presence, intelligence, playfulness, acrobatics, whistles, sound effects and interactions. That kind of makes me feel good, but I’ll never let him know that! Believe me, I want to talk human so I can tell them what I want. I want apples, grapes, almonds, peanuts, pistachios etc.! I am determined and driven to ensure I get what I want, especially my favorites! Everything dad or mom does like cooking, preparing my food, washing dishes etc. They always say exactly what they are doing or what an item is. I know the words and phrases. I just can’t say them yet and it’s driving me crazy. Like when I see an apple, I half to whistle and cheep or climb all over my cage if I’m in it to let them know I’m excited and I want it!! If I am out of my cage I just run over and try to eat the apple or other food item while he is cutting it. That’s just too much work for me when I know I have the ability instinctually to pick up sounds including those enabling me to talk and I am going to do it. The sooner I can the better in my book. I have many demands, not just requests!

Dad had all the windows in the house replaced with new ones. While the men were here installing them, they used these things they called nail guns. Man were those Nail Guns loud as they shot those nails into the frames. Bang, Bang, Bang just like a real gun. Well after a few days of that, guess what new sound I learned? Yep, Bang, Bang, Bang as loud as I can. I have a new tool to drive Mom and Dad bonkers!

I have learned my beak is powerful and can sometimes make my dad or mom’s hands release me if they are taking me to my cage. Wow, it’s so simple, just bend down, bite real hard and poof, I am free, free, free!

They have gotten a little trickier though, now when I do that, they sometimes wobble their hand or almost turn me upside down. Then I have to balance myself and let go quickly. Still, I can sometimes get a good hold and it doesn’t matter what they do, I hang on! Hahahahahaha, yes I am powerful, clever and highly intelligent to their dismay!I have found that hard bites also make them stop and think about whether they really want me to step up or not. Sometimes they just say ok, turn and walk away then or they may ask if I want to go do something that I like. Sometimes if I want to, I will then lift my foot for a step-up. I just have a hard time figuring out when they really mean it or if it is a sneaky trick to get me to my cage or carrier. I’ll figure it out though.

Me practicing my Grey Kung Foo Moves

2008_0203_Dau_UpsideDown-1.jpg

They finally gave up trying to get me in the shower. I put up and good battle many times each time they tried to keep me in there and get me wet. I learned I could flap real hard and just make it to the towel rack outside the shower. So now they have started placing an aluminum pan on the counter near the sink and entice me in that. I like being in control and deciding if and when I wish to take a bath. Here is a link to me bathing on my terms: http://s184.photobucket.com/user/danmcq/media/DayoGettingwet_0001.mp4.html

Oh I had a nightmare of a time when disaster stuck one morning when Dad was home, but Mom was in the Hospital after undergoing some procedures. Dad had a ding in his car’s Windshield that was starting to spider web. He had gone outside to unlock the car for the repairman and he was only outside for about a minute. But, I couldn’t stand not being able to see him. So I was out of my cage up on the hanging wine rack they turned in to my high play area and launched off of it and flapped as hard as I could to get to the couch in the living room so I could see Dad outside. Well I had lost enough altitude that the Doberman named Bentley jumped up and got a hold of my Tail Feathers and he slung me against a wall really hard. I hit my head and thank god Chloe the other Doberman came over and stood in front of me and kept Bentley back while she barked furiously. Dad heard Chloe from outside and came running in. He ran straight to where he heard the barking and saw me on the floor dazed and growling. Dad told the Dobermans to go to the bedroom really loudly as he was upset and yelling. He turned and kneeled down to see me as he looked at the tail feathers on the floor and I was growing a bump on my head over my left eye. My eyes were dilated and I was in a daze. I just started growling real loud at dad as well. At that point in time I was helpless and fearful of anyone trying to get close to me. So dad just quickly placed his hands around me and took me to the kitchen counter to look me over more closely for and possible bleeding wounds or broken bones. He wasn’t certain if Bentley had actually bit me while I was down or not. He could see no bleeding and no bones were broken. He called the vet and explained what had happened, how I looked and was acting. The vet said to place me in my cage and to keep it quiet and watch me for any changes over the next 24 hours. Dad fretted over me as I did not move for almost 24 hours, I didn’t eat or drink water. I could see dad just sitting next to me and sometimes crying. Guess he was really worried about me and told he was sorry and would never leave me out of my cage even if he just needed to step out of the house for one second. But, after that amount of time had passed, my eyes started pining and functioning normally and I started moving around a little. That knot on my head hurts, but I started eating a little and moving about. But, I still didn’t feel like playing like I normally do. On the third day I was back to normal in all aspects except for that knot on my head and a little bruising around it. That eventually went down in size and the bruising disappeared. Dad had given updates to Mom in the Hospital on how I was doing. She couldn’t wait to get out and see me. I really missed her too, especially when this horrific event happened. We cuddled and stayed with each other for the next few days just chilling out. I enjoy snuggling with her and lying down for some quite time. Life is once again back to normal.

Me and Mom

0907060001.jpg

Edited by danmcq