NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bringing the outside in

CLB

So, I have decided that Shadow and her new baby sister (when she arrives) need a bigger/better place to play. Something natural with plenty of room to spread their wings. This is the start......my question is whether or not a 7 foot tree is too tall? I am fairly certain the girls will not have a fear of heights, :rolleyes: but am I setting myself up for trouble trying to get them down?? I am MUCH less than 7 feet tall. ;)

Comments encouraged.....

DSC_5511.jpg

I disagree that bigger is never better.

There are many people that free fly their parrots in the all out doors.

I would not do that, but a large play ground that is inside is awesome.

The freedom in a special room and a tall tree. Your grey will love you forn that.

My thought exactly Ray....Shadow (my grey) is still very unsure about this tree but I am fairly certain Lola (PanAm) will be thrilled. I will not free flight my birds either but want them to have a space to feel "free". As I mentioned before...the room has a vaulted ceiling and I am fairly certain they would find their way to the highest spot anyway! ;) So far the greencheeks are quite happy with the tree.

That looks like a wonderful place for your birds to hang out and enjoy themselves, yes they will go to the highest perches on that tree but they will come down eventually if not then a step stool might suffice. Why not put a treat bowl lower down on the tree so it gives an opportunity for them to come down for a snack and be within reach to get them.

I LOVE the idea of the Christmas tree stand. Fantastic. If it proves to be too tall, you can always cut a bit off the bottom . ;) One thought is that they might get freaked out be predators out those big windows. I hope it woks out for you/them.

I wiped it all down with Dr. Bronners and bleach (10%) water. Left it in the sun to dry. Although I will admit some of the smaller branches I added on were not bleached, just sun dried. I also modified the large tree with a more stable stand. Apparently 7 feet of Ironwood was too much for our little Christmas tree stand. lol I think it was too top heavy, so we used a 10 inch lag bolt up the trunk and added a crisscross wood base.

My guys get a big head when they get on top of their cage and make me chase them and nip me the whole time until i get a good reach, then they will step up! I say go for it but leave enough where if you should find the need to lower it you can without much trouble! I think it looks great and they will enjoy it!

Curious, did either of you clean the limbs in any way? I know some people to a bleach soak in a kiddie pool or the like. I've used fresh breanches out of my yard before, but I wonder if I'm too cavalier.

My branch was out in the yard for some time (and it's SUPER hot here right now). I just used a power washer to hose it down and let the sun do the rest.

I love this idea! We're planning to build a bird room in our next house and I really wanted to add trees to give them more variety than pvc can provide. This is great and I will so borrow the idea! Right now we have a pvc stand that is about 6 ft tall, and I had a big problem with height induced aggression (I'm five feet tall) - until both my bird and I realized that he knows what "do you want an almond? Ok, step up..." means, LOL! I'm not too proud to admit that bribing my bird really works, and now I just make sure he gets an almond every few step ups to remind him why he does it! No more bites and no more having to get a step ladder = everyone is happy :D

• 3 months later...