NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Sam update

kave70

Tomorrow is one year since Sam came to be with us. As some of you might remember, we have no backround info on him, as he was abandoned with some other pets at the vets.

A year has brought a lot of changes, but we're still at the beginning of our journey, I'm sure.

Sam seems a lot happier these days, especially since bringing Filbert (the little galah) home. He whistles and whistles, and has the very occasional word. He kept trying to watch Filbert and was stuck to the side of the cage, so I moved a perch where he has better view and he sits there a lot, watching and whistling to the little guy. He's still quite shy and tentative, but LOVES foraging toys. If it gives him something to work at, he seems up for the challenge. I recently hung a basket in his cage with lots of shredded paper and almonds tucked in. He's so funny the way he eyes it, and keeps creeping closer to it. I'm sure that any day now he'll have it all apart and be happily munching on those nuts.

He still wont' touch his veggies (but I'm relentless in offering them) but loves his morning grape, and will pick through the mound of veggies to find it.

His screaming has decreased again,and I think it's because we took my husband out of the picture. No, we didn't get rid of him, but he has minimal contact with Sam. If Sam whistles to him, he whistles back and the time between screaming periods has increased... YAH!!!

We're still working on him stepping up for me. I keep his cage door opened, and think we started a game. If I take two steps towards him he rushes back inside. If I make sure to put my hands behind my back and do it, he will stay, but watch closely. I usually just give him a quick treat and walk away, and continue to talk to him. If he will step up, it's on a perch stick and then to my arm... I never force, but offer several times a day. He usually comes out, only for a while and hangs with me. I never push him, as it took more than 10 months for him to do this. His cage is right in the center of things, and his door is open, he just chooses to hang out inside.

I've actually gotten kissed a few times...... and it put me on cloud nine.

So, I think we've come a long way- I can't imagine life without him.

We all love him dearly, and hope that my next update tells of even more progress.

Sam seems ready to accelerate his training. He already has established his " trust". He loves you, and knows you will keep him safe. If you wait for him to show you the next step, you will wait forever. He's not going to do it. Are you ready to take it to the next level? Nancy

What is the next step? I'm afraid to push him, as he's so timid.

Actually, I see a lot of Dorian in Sam. Dorian is extremely timid, cautious even for a grey. I've let him lead the way and we've come an incredible distance together. He's a different bird than the one that arrived here years ago, confident and secure. I think it's because I've waited for him to come to me. He decided when he would venture out of his cage, when he would accept toys, step up, let me carry him to another room. You have to follow your instinct because you're in the room with him.

don't ever be afraid to accelerate training. They will let you know, if they are not comfortable. Stepup, number one, in training. Once they stepup, introduce bird to the home. If they get nervous, return baby to cage. Sophie was introduced to each room, at her comfort level. She was introduced to all our family and friends, at her speed of acceptance. She goes everywhere in our home now, and steps up to all the family members. Its a long process, and they set the speed. YOU... have to setup the expectation! If you don't, they will be happy with the " status quo!" Nancy

Gilbert, Dorian, Sam and Spencer are special cases. Whether it is something from their past, or partly their innate character trait, they are more sensitive than an average rehomed parrot. You will know what to do with Sam and how far you can test his boundaries. Our progress isn't measured by how much they permit interaction as much as how relaxed they can be given the fears they have come in with. You really have come a long way with him and are exceptionally adept at finding ways to draw him out with the foraging toys and your gentle approach. It says a lot to have such joy over the milestones that you finally reach with Sam. As you offer him "bridges" to come out of his comfort zone, he comes a little closer to you. With Gilbert, sixteen months seems to have passed quickly for me, but it is still part of the introduction period for him and he is very cautiously considering to stay outside the cage, on the playtop, for most of his day now. All it takes is a sound outdoors or someone new coming to the door and lickety split he is inside his cage. I actually wish there was a trap door up there when he could be inside in an instant if that makes him feel a little more confident and in control of his own sense of safety.

Gilbert, Dorian, Sam and Spencer are special cases. Whether it is something from their past, or partly their innate character trait, they are more sensitive than an average rehomed parrot. You will know what to do with Sam and how far you can test his boundaries. Our progress isn't measured by how much they permit interaction as much as how relaxed they can be given the fears they have come in with. You really have come a long way with him and are exceptionally adept at finding ways to draw him out with the foraging toys and your gentle approach. It says a lot to have such joy over the milestones that you finally reach with Sam. As you offer him "bridges" to come out of his comfort zone, he comes a little closer to you. With Gilbert, sixteen months seems to have passed quickly for me, but it is still part of the introduction period for him and he is very cautiously considering to stay outside the cage, on the playtop, for most of his day now. All it takes is a sound outdoors or someone new coming to the door and lickety split he is inside his cage. I actually wish there was a trap door up there when he could be inside in an instant if that makes him feel a little more confident and in control of his own sense of safety.

Thank you so much for this post. It really hit home and made me feel good about my relationship with Sam. Your words made a difference and I truly thank you for that.