NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tango Flew!!! Oh My!

Jayd

Hi, Maggie here...

For those unfamiliar, one of our rescues is a Triton Cockatoo named Tango. Before she came to us, she had been clipped before fledging and had been kept in a cage for 8 years with no contact. The previous family had been very good to her but had no contact besides having her clipped. She has not been re-clipped since we have had her and she has had full flight feathers for a couple of years now. She has shown no desire to fly and the few times that she hangs on her cage and flaps her wings, the cage has lifted 3 inches...LOL...Today, she was a little upset with me because I was home from work a little later than usual. I had grabbed her food dishes out of her cage so I could refill them because she had pitched them in a fit. She had become more upset that I had the nerve to remove them so she decided to take matters into her own hands so to speak. I was about 4-5 feet away from her with my back to her and she leaped off the cage, started flapping and flew to me, landing on my back!!!! I don't know who was more surprised, her or me...LOL...

When you have a bird that big and who weighs that much, it is a little bit different than when a 'Zon or Grey lands on you. You fear a loss of an ear or a chunk of neck or a new unwanted piercing...Jay couldn't help me...and she was nipping at my neck as I walked back to her cage. I had to bribe her with pistachios...which she took after spending five minutes trying to wrestle the plastic jar out of my hand...LOL...It was worth every bit of it to have her fly! It is just that with a bird of her size, there is that fear factor in the back of your mind...And Jay wants a Macaw...hahahaha! When hell freezes over.....

I understand that next week in hell it is going down to 20 deg.

That should make Cleveland football fans happy because the Browns will win the Super bowl when hell freezes over.

I know because I live 40 miles east of Cleveland.

Edited by Ray P

I understand that next week in hell it is going down to 20 deg.

That should make Cleveland football fans happy because the Browns will win the Super bowl when hell freezes over.

I know because I live 40 miles east of Cleveland.

It must mean the Leafs will be the next Stanley Cup champs too.

WTG on the flight Tango. May this be the beginning of many more.

Hooray for Tango and kudos to you Maggie for quick thinking and escaping her clutches unscathed. You will have to walk backwards when you leave the room now to make sure she doesn't do another surprise landing on you.

I was thinking along the lines of a back perch with a neck and ear protection.