NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bed Time

bluedawg

Hi,

I have a 1 year old CAG named Dayo. I just put her to bed and thought I'd better post a question before I forget ... again. The thing is I have noticed that Dayo gets very antsy before bedtime. She does not want to be put away in her cage. She wants to stay out and remain anywhere but locked in the cage. I considered letting her just stay out but if I do she screams in the morning... first light - like 6am. So The last few nights I have been covering her cage. That seams to work. I would love to just let her do what she wants but the morning screaming is out of hand. Has anyone experienced this reluctance to go to bed? and the morning screaming? Any Ideas how to let her stay out and stop the morning noise?

P.S. we need a category, unless I missed it, on Grey behavior. :)

Thanks!

-Dayo's Mom

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greys for the most part do not wish to go to bed. We need to get a step up and palm the back of our grey's wings so he can not fly while we take him to his cage for bed time.They do need to be placed in their cage for safety of course. Covering is just fine and will help with the 6 am calling for you. There is a lot of information in the the training room on behavior if you check out the stickies at the top. Please never let your grey stay out unsupervised. It is just too dangerous for them.

Welcome by the way! :) Please introduce yourself in the welcome room when you get a chance.

Hi Dayo's Mom. My TAG, Ana Grey, does not like to go to bed either at least in the beginning she was ornery about it. She would follow me to the bird room at bed time but fly off when I tried to get her to step up and go into her cage. I just started eying where she was in the bird room, usually on he playtop, and turning off the room light, (birds don't normally move around in the dark/semidarkness), and step her up in the dark (I left the door open a crack so I could just see by the hall light) and bedtime became more simple. Now she just steps up from the playtop and into her cage no problems. I also give my birdies a night time snack at bedtime so that helps get them willing to go into their cages for nite, nite.

bluedawg... just like any child, they try to demand more time. Bedtime is important, and should be the same hour nightly. Covering or not, is a personal choice. Whatever makes the bird comfortable. Nothing wrong on checking on them if they sound scared, but they are just to be reassured and not taken out. Eventually, they understand when it is bedtime, and let YOU know it is time for bed. Nancy

My guy used to be difficult to put to bed, but since we have had an Amazon who models perfect bedtime behavior, he is easy.

He even asks me, "Wanna go to bed?" We have a little ritual where I turn off the lights in the kitchen area (where he is) and turn on a light in the foyer. He then flies to the foyer and hangs from a doorway while I scoop him up and put him to bed. He has never been a screamer, so I don't know how to address that issue. Maybe if you establish a routine he will get easier?

Wow, my greys LOve to go to bed and seem to look forward to it. I do cover them with a dark sheet, I would ignore the screaming and after a while, if nothing happens when they scream they will stop, it's hardly worth the effort to them. Giving them any kind of attention will only re enforce it.

Ive just got my baby cag and he dint seem to like to go to bed, hes easy enouth to get in cage, its once.hes in hr dont seem to settle climbing around cage, cling cling cling, thats all i hear, even with light off xx

We had a similar experience with our rescue Sam. He would be quite busy at night and then so cranky during the day. It became a vicious cycle and we were all miserable with the endless screaming (day and night from being cranky). I made a cage cover for Sam's palace (took a couple of sheets) and now he settles in after a moment or two and is quiet for the evening. It has helped his overall being, and we are all more rested and happy :-)

I to have a grey who does not want to go bed , and i do cover her , she just is like a child and does not want to go to bed. once she is there she settles in and goes nite nite, also when I did not cover she would start whistling and making all sorts of annoying noise at daylight. now with her covered she stays quiet until I uncover her.

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

i to have a cag who screams when i put her cover on she does get quiet really quick thou ... when i do put her covr on she is quiet until i take it of in morining. but whem she is out and its bed time ( i dont force her in cage) and just close lights.. she is up early calling on me.... i would prefer to get her in routine and have her covered every night but i cant hanfdle my babygirl just yet... when i do .. she will get covered ever night like clockwork so i can have my peace in morining untill i can have my coffee :)

90% of the time Gracie puts herself to bed between 8:45 and 9 PM every night. One night I forgot to cover her cage and she started squawking with the sunrise. That's not bad in winter, but now the sun is up at around 6AM and I don't get Gracie up until 6:45. Those last 45 min sleep are treasured!

• 9 months later...

Wow, when I posted this it was my first post and I did not check the "subscribe to this post" box so I did not know I had all of these responses. Thank you everyone for chiming in! Since then and since I had not read any of these responses, Dayo has been sleeping in my room with the rest of her "flock", myself, My dog and my cat. I built her a perch above my door and she seams to like sleeping up there. In the morning she flies down and is quite content to sit on top of me until I get up. She only really goes in the cage when I have to go out to the store or if I have to work on site or for any reason I can not be home. Of course I just posted another post on behavior problems that are emerging where she does not fully appreciate me as the parent so clearly I am no expert.

bluedawg...welcome! Some tough love coming your way! ( for your own sanity!) The goal is always to have a relationship with your bird, welcome them to the flock. They appreciate and respect membership.Although.... they don't understand it in the beginning. Your bird is just understanding his needs are being met. Nothing to do with being a flockmember. This is normal. Time to educate your bird, teach baby to understand your expectations as a member of the family.It begins with stepup, stepdown, as well as a set bedtime. Most birds do better with their cage either covered, or partially covered. Birds thrive with routine, and you will encounter times when they " suckerpunch"youinto sympathy.Of course,if my birds were ever scared,I got up and tended to them, just like a mother would do for any child. They tend to act like toddlers, so why not treat them as such? Some disagree with comparing them to children.... but OMG.... they sure actlike it! Its worked for me.Sophie is a happy girl. A true flockmember Nancy

Thanks Nancy, This post is vey old but still, thanks. I did the same thing with Dayo when she would have night frights in her cage, I would come out and console and sit with her... she was obviously very upset so it was the necessary thing to do. We have since worked out her sleeping issue... She goes to sleep the same time every night and it's in my room with her "flock" Myself My dog and my cat. This set up works well for her.

My latest post is here: http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?198590-Establishing-who-is-the-parent...

I don't know, I think what happened was I posted a long time ago and I didn't check the "subscribe to this post" link so I thought I had no responses. There might have also been a login issue and so until something has a chance to become routine I am unlikely to waste too much time with it. I am much happier this time since I know how to see my responses. It makes all the difference.

We are very happy. There will be hurdles to overcome so I will need this forum. I want to get her in an Aviator harness but so far handling her in the manner she will need to allow to get the harness on is out of the question and the "how to" video that comes with it shows you how to do it on a totally docile bird. I did let her hang out with it to get used to it and she chewed right through the teather part so I see where they could not be left unsupervised outside in the harness - not to mention the predator situation. There is a funny thing she does with one of her food jars where every time I take it out she runs over and reaches up and hooks her bill on the lid and just stays there waiting to be scratched. When the food jar is involved I can even begin to lift her wings and she won't bite but she will shuttle off if I take too long about it. She loves the food jar. It contains Totally Organic Pellets which she does not care for but apparently the jar gets two thumbs up. That is where we are starting our "handling" lessons. The other day she was lying on her back feet up in the air and I gave her my hand and she used her beak to hold on but she didn't bite down hard she just held on and I was able to lift her and she used my thumb as a handle to right herself. I was very pleased with that.

Yes Timbersmom... You remind me, I went to Maine last summer and found all of this really great driftwood I was going to make awesome perches and play areas for her. I had big plans. Low and behold she took one look at that driftwood and behaved as though I had brought her home snakes to perch on. i left it out for the longest time but she will not give in when it comes to the driftwood. So it's now all piled in my basement.