NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

new Filbert

kave70

Our first Filbert died as a result of the Kaytee formula recall. The necropsy results confirmed that. The bird store has offered another bird in place of him and I found another Galah that I felt a bond to. We tried a couple of other rose breasteds, and some other baby birds in their nursery, but I've made a choice and we will name the new little guy Filbert too.

He's 8 weeks old and extremely fiesty and brave- I had a blast playing with him for hours on Saturday.

I will post photos soon. I was "playing it cool" and didn't want to take a lot of photos until I made up my mind if this was the little guy for me. The store has confirmed that this little one was NEVER on Kaytee (it's on Zupreem formula) and it's had a vet check now and will have one before he comes home in July. I'm looking forward to having a new fid for us, and a companion for Sam. (We brought Sam and he had no problems sharing a perch with Filbert- introductions going well).

Congratulations on finding this little guy. I find it amazing that Sam is so willing to share your introduction to a new flock member. It is wonderful to know you are opening your heart and home to another feathered friend. It has been really hard for your family to lose your little buddy and a testament to your love that you are giving it another go. When you are settled and have Filbert home, you will have some interesting stories to share with us. I look forward to learning more about the galah.

Happy to hear things are going well for you after the heartbreak you went through! I also look forward to following how things go with Filbert :) My new Galah, Tucker, is 60 days old now and we are anticipating bringing him home in 2-3 weeks. Hopefully Amali will be as accepting as Sam!

Thanks for the kind words, and Good luck, Amali, with your new Tucker.

They are such characters aren't they?

Sam is actually very good with all other birds. He and our cocatiel hang on on the same play tree, and we've never had an issue. We always supervise though, because there is such a size difference. We bring him to the bird store and he seems to do quite well. It really makes me think there were other birds in his past.

Looking foward to seinf pictures of the new guy.

When does he come home.

Thanks! He is due to come home in July. Until then we will do the weekly visits (wish is could be more often, but it's quite a hike and I care for my ill MIL) and bring Sam each time.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping Sam stays as happy as he seems. He is extremely curious and actually came out of his cage on his own to see Filbert. I made it a point to spend all the time I normally do with Sam and invited him out anytime Filbert came out.

Sorry, (my tiel) couldn't care less :-)

Yay! So happy you got him home :) He is absolutely adorable.

Tucker will be home Sunday morning. I sure hope Amali takes it all in stride like Sam is! She cracks me up because I bought a new double stack cage and she now has the top. Whenever I remove her tray for cleaning, she can see down below to what will be Tucker's new digs. She is very curious about all of his stuff set up down there ... I can only imagine when she sees him down there too! :D

Now ... where is Nancy ... this thread is sure to get her thinking about a new baby again. Bahahaha!

He is amazing! Sam is so shy and pensive, and observes. Filbert, DOES... he does everything- fly, destroy anything in is way, babbles (just lots of funny noises) plays endlessly and loves neck scritches. He is like having a baby that just learned to walk.... he's everywhere.

I'm so very happy that Sam's screaming has almost ceased completely, and I truly feel it's because he has Filbert to focus on. Their cages are right next to each other, and Sam will move where he is, so that he has a better view of the baby. Sam seems happier- he has been whistling more and kissed me.

Filbert LOVES his playstand, and I can tell I'm going to need to be very creative and come up with lots of toy ideas. Right now his favorite seems to be an oatmeal container that I stuffed with all sorts of odds and ends (toy peices, shredded paper, etc) and millet. he works at that endlessly.

I love the little guy. I can't wait till Tucker comes home and we have lots of stories to swap!

filbertjne 001.jpg

Love the picture!

One question - has Filbert shown any signs of regression with weaning? Any crying? I have been reading a lot of stories of cockatoos who do fine at the breeder's and who are maintaining weight, and then with the change in environment, revert back to needing some comfort feedings. I am considering getting some handfeeding formula to have on hand just in case it is needed at any point with Tucker. Or I could just mix up some oatmeal type warm comfort food if it is ever needed. (I have handfed before - no worries on not knowing what to do there.)

We're still sitting and waiting to hear more as far as a new pick up day for Tucker. Boy does the time go slowly! I've used a lot of this time to sit down and make lots of excess toys. I swear, I need a spare walk in closet to dedicate solely to bird toys and toy parts ... LOL.