NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey wanted Sale/Adoption in NY area

Donshiv

Hello. I just wanted to know if someone can help me or point me in the right direction. Does anyone know of any African Greys that are available close to the NY area? I would like a companion to join my family which includes our female Amazon Parrot. The bird will be in a loving household that includes children. The age of the bird doesn't really bother me. I would either like to purchase the bird for less than $500 if possible or I can even adopt if there is a Grey for me. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, which do you guys think would be better suited for me female Amazon, male or female Grey? Any and all help will be great! Thank You all.

I don't know what may be available in your area but bird clubs are a good place to start, they usually hear about birds needing rehomed and may know of organizations that do rescue and rehoming of birds, thats where I would start.

I don't think it matters about the sex of the grey you would want to add to your flock as more than likely the grey and your amazon would not get along but loads of us have multiple birds with many with both amazons and greys, hopefully they will add their comments.

Hi Donshiv, welcome to the Grey forums! I have two greys, female and male, and a male BF amazon. None of them really like each other but they can all be out at the same time although I do need to keep an eye on them. I'm across the country in Washington State but when I was looking for a grey I looked on the internet and found breeders in my area. As for your amazon, please post some pictures of her in the Amazon Room as we love our zons!!!

I'll try and do that soon luvparrots; mine is a Blue Front also. I have been looking online for breeders in my area but they're kind of expensive around NY. That's one of the reasons I'm also looking to adopt if I can. Thank you all for the info so far :)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm looking for a new african grey too. And I'm in NYC aria. Our lovely bord was found dead today. He was old but we really miss him and it's happened the day before my son's birthday. He is still crying thats why I plan to adopt one is soon as possible. Can some one help? I was thinking to buy one but they really expensive in our aria.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about your bird, Ksuny, but please don't rush to replace your bird out of concern for your boy's grief. It's part of growing up, as sad as it is. I remember losing my ancient German Shepherd when I was six, and I don't think I would have accepted the GSD puppy we got a few months later had she come home any sooner. But that's just me.

I remember a saying: "Sometimes, the best way to get over an old boyfriend is to get under a new one". Cute phrase, but really, so much wrong there. :) We need to learn to grieve relationships/lost loved ones, and so many caring parents can't handle to see a kid upset over the loss of a pet that they try to bridge the chasm of grief by immediately bringing in a new pet.

Of course, there are worse things to worry about. I'm certainly not saying that your son's going to turn into a crack dealer or anything if you find a nice Grey to bring home before the tears are dry. :)

I hope you find a new avian family member in due time that's a good match for you and him, and I hope he had a happy birthday regardless!

M

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a female African Grey that is 15 years old, she talks alot! No health issues or feather chewing. Her best friend Kikki was an orange winged Amazon but unfortunately flew away a few years ago. My children are grown and I work long shifts and Sophie is lonely. She is free to a loving home. I live in the Rochester area

you can reach me at marmie09@yahoo.com

I have a female African Grey that is 15 years old, she talks alot! No health issues or feather chewing. Her best friend Kikki was an orange winged Amazon but unfortunately flew away a few years ago. My children are grown and I work long shifts and Sophie is lonely. She is free to a loving home. I live in the Rochester area

Nancy? Have you made the decision to find Sophie a new home? If this is for real, you know that we will all work hard to help you find her the best one! .......... PS: if this is true, we all know this has to be a hard decision for you, and one that has been given a lot of deep thought. (if you are kidding us, may the bird of paradise fly up your nose... :D )

Edited by Inara