NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sam-old cage stress

kave70

When Sam first arrived last year, we quickly bought a cage for him. (He was left in a vet parking lot in something smaller than I would even put my cockatiel in). It was of decent size but we wanted better for him. We moved him to a palace within a month or so, and the first cage was stored in the attic.

We are preparing for our new FID to come home in a few weeks, so we pulled out the cage to clean it and get it ready for the baby.

Sam has been doing his stress scream/pacing all morning. It suddenly dawned on me that it might be the sight of the other cage. I first talked to Sam and told him that it's just for the new baby, that he would never have to leave his big home. He was looking intently, but continued to stress and scream.

I covered it and told him not to even worry about it, that it's gone now. The screaming and pacing have totally ceased in the matter of minutes.

So, here's my question. Do I leave it covered till the baby comes home? Do I move it out of the room? Leave it uncovered for parts of the day?

Suggestions?

I would be inclined to get rid of it. Sam obviously has bad memories associated with this cage. He may think you are going to put him in it and take him from his home but for what ever reason it obviously upsets him. Even worse if you put your new baby in it Sam may come to associate the baby with it and become phobic toward the baby as well.

Steve n Misty

Wow,what a surprising reaction that was. I would say that Steve gave you the only advice you need and the best possible. He obviously has some very bad memories that stress him terribly enough to carry on like that. He WILL associate that with your new addition, and you are bound to have problems, not only with their relationship, but you will probably see a change in personality if you keep that cage. And it may even escalate to enough stress that plucking becomes a habit.

Not worth the risk. Sell it and buy a different cage if at all possible.

Ouch- I guess I will see if anyone in my area would like to trade cages, or just bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Thanks for the advice- I will be heeding it.

Karen and Sam (who must love his home very much if he has such a reaction to his old one)

Hey, can't beat a palace now can ya? Now your house will look like mine, palaces all over the place! I don't care what anyone says, my 3 birds LOVE their huge cages! And my kids LOVE to see mom crawl inside them to clean and organize things...:) I close the door and yell , let me out, help!they thinks it's great. Meanwhile the birds look at me like I'm nuts!!!

That gave me a giggle. You'd pee your pants at my setup. The cage is set up in the living room and is birdless. Every time I walked into the room I found myself walking over to look at the bird and duh its empty. I put 2 stuffed monkeys in there in hopes I would stop doing this. Did it work? Nope. But at least now it looks like I'm walking over to peer at the stuffed animals.

Hey, can't beat a palace now can ya? Now your house will look like mine, palaces all over the place! I don't care what anyone says, my 3 birds LOVE their huge cages! And my kids LOVE to see mom crawl inside them to clean and organize things...:) I close the door and yell , let me out, help!they thinks it's great. Meanwhile the birds look at me like I'm nuts!!!

I have disagree with all of the getting rid /selling of the cage stuff. You won't get good money for a old used cage anyway. You just brought the old cage out. As far as the cage goes, it's an old item that's been used before by your bird so, If anything, your bird shouldn't be screaming at it. If he didn't scream while living in it, he won't sceam with it around him. Look at it this way---a person needs a cage and buys one, brings it home and the bird is nervous, fearful, uncomfortable with it. He yells, screeches. SO, the usual rule is to put the new cage around the bird until the novelty of the new cage subsides. That could be days and days. That goes for toys, bowls. swings and other items.

You should use the old cage for your new bird. Your grey will get very used to having it around including the new bird.

Also, look at it this way----if you go and buy a new bird, bring it home and your bird reacts in a bad way to the prescence of another bird, do you immediately return the new bird or work on getting them to accept each other?

By doing what you're doing, you're letting the bird *rule the roost* which is a bad idea.

Edited by Dave007

What a different perspective. Thanks! Right now it's covered in the room. Do you think if I uncovered it a bit more every day, it might help? Or would you uncover it and just let him scream it out?

As far as the new fid, we've been bringing Sam with us to visit, and so far, he has come home making baby noises, and happy. We have almost a month to go until it comes home, so there is time to figure this out.

Any thoughts?

What a different perspective. Thanks! Right now it's covered in the room. Do you think if I uncovered it a bit more every day, it might help? Or would you uncover it and just let him scream it out?

As far as the new fid, we've been bringing Sam with us to visit, and so far, he has come home making baby noises, and happy. We have almost a month to go until it comes home, so there is time to figure this out.

Any thoughts?

Keep it covered, then bare a little of it, after a few days bare it it some more--a few days later, bare it some more, on and on.

Have the cage around so the bird can see it. Don't do alot to the cage with it next to him. Anything you wanna do should be done before putting the cage in next to him. I had a very aggressive TAG who came with a cage. He knew that cage inside and out. He used it as his private fortress. He made his attacks from it. He would,'t let a person near him.. I instantly got another cage, took him out, immediately put him in the new one and dumped the old one. All of this was done within 2 hrs. He became very passive and calmer because I had the upper hand. He was at my mercy, not the other way around. So, think about it. The old cage can serve a good purpose. You're getting another bird where the old cage is the right fit? Then use it.

I'm confused. Is the "old cage" the one he was found in, or the first one you bought for him? If you bought it for him why would he have bad memories associated with it? If it's the cage he was found in you might need to replace it, but if it's the first cage you bought for him, I agree with Dave.

Kim

I'm confused. Is the "old cage" the one he was found in, or the first one you bought for him? If you bought it for him why would he have bad memories associated with it? If it's the cage he was found in you might need to replace it, but if it's the first cage you bought for him, I agree with Dave.

Kim

The "old cage" is the first one we bought for him. We threw out his gross, rusted cage the weekend he arrived and replaced it with cage #2. Sam was an unexpected rescue, therefore it took me a few weeks to order his #3 amazing cage!

The "old cage" is the first one we bought for him. We threw out his gross, rusted cage the weekend he arrived and replaced it with cage #2. Sam was an unexpected rescue, therefore it took me a few weeks to order his #3 amazing cage!

I'm very new to greys, don't even have mine yet. :o) But it seems he should have good memories associated with the cage. Following Dave's advice you should be able to get him past whatever it is that's getting him "excited". (I would think :o)

Kim

I have to agree with everything everyone has said, but as a side note, it can go either way, no disrespect to any one, this is my opinion only. Everything depend on the reason for the screaming? is it deep rooted, or superficial? Is Sam yelling because he remembers it in a good way or a bad way? Sam will answer these questions for you, if he continues to be upset no matter what you do, get rid of it, if he calms down, keep it....Sorry...Thanks Jay

A rehomed parrot with a limited knowlege of his history is a tough call. Gilbert absolutely wigs out over thunderstorms, he lived through a hurricane or two within sight of the gulf coast. Also, when we were putting in new flooring, we pulled all the furniture out of a bedroom. At the end of the day, he had a meltdown and discussing it with his most recent former caretaker, the home before that was packed in boxes and the edict was get him out today, I am moving tomorrow. So while I can have an insight to his distress, I can't stop thunderstorms or never move a piece of furniture. What I do is sooth him when I recognize his stressors and he is slowly learning to self-soothe. Who knows what is going on for Sam? He may have been in a happy home and a new human baby came along and he was ousted. He may be picking up on the emotion of the change coming and it may not have anything to do with the cage directly. Also, he may think he is getting booted from his palace and thinks he is being dethroned. All kidding aside, covering it or putting it in a different room and taking him to the cage if you can might de-escalate by it being in a less familiar neutral area. You can reassure him while you are making a gradual change.

What if he doesn't like the cage you swap for? Just a thought that is a possibility.

I would suggest following Dave's advice. One thing I would add, is if possible move the "Old" cage a little further away. Sometimes just a little more distance will calm down a Grey that does not like or is afraid of something. We do this all the time with new things we bring in the house including furniture etc. Then we slowly close the distance or after a few days to a week they are used to seeing it and do not care how close you move it in proximity to them.

So far, so good. I moved the cage so it wasn't quite so close, and this morning I pulled the cover up a little. Sam was definitely watching me, so I talked to him while I was rearranging things and no screaming. He is avoiding the side of the cage that is closest to it though. I think I am going to put his favorite foraging toy (the purple one in my photo) on that side of the cage with a yummy, irresistable almond :-)

Thanks for all the good advice.

Just my opinion... ABSOLUTELY, get rid of old cage!!! Being the owner, of a rescued abused Sunconure, I learned to listen to his thoughts. I won't get into the hell and back we went thru for Sunny. NEW CAGE! Absolutely important. If your new baby wants to argue about a new cage.... THEN... their needs to be a discussion, and they lose. nancy