NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Kilns and Parrots?

DawnMM

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this thread, if not, sorry. It can be moved if necessary.

Anyhoo, I am a glass artist...ok, trying to be a glass artist and I work with fusing glass in a kiln. I'm also going to start flameworking glass beads in the near future hopefully. I know that you need ventilation for your own health while using a kiln and using a torch. What I was wondering was, can I still do this in my house...with my Grey in another room, or if I should move my studio out of the house completely. Better to get the answer before I have a permanent studio.

Thanks!!!

Thanks, it's pretty much what I figured. My hubby is not going to be thrilled with building me another something! LOL We just got done building a coop, and are working on tractor coop. Oh well, time to draw up some plans and figure out where we are going to do this.

IDK about where you live but some localities require a brick wall separating the living area from the kiln and hot work areas in case of a fire, so an area away from the house might be a good idea for that alone.

Yeah, I've taken over one of the kid's bedrooms for the moment. So it's time to move out and get my own space. I just have to find the right spot for it. No trees close to the house and lots of Texas sun, which means I'll need air conditioning for sure! My husband has taken over the carport and garage for his furniture making, so now he will just have to build me a studio. I can't wait until I have a Grey. I can't wait to start sketching pics and figuring out how to add them to my glass!

I agree with the others that this kiln should be in a separate building away from the house for it is a fire risk not to mention that the fumes might possibly be lethal to your birds. Hubby might not like that he has to build you something else but hey thats how it is.

Yeah, I've taken over one of the kid's bedrooms for the moment. So it's time to move out and get my own space. I just have to find the right spot for it. No trees close to the house and lots of Texas sun, which means I'll need air conditioning for sure! My husband has taken over the carport and garage for his furniture making, so now he will just have to build me a studio. I can't wait until I have a Grey. I can't wait to start sketching pics and figuring out how to add them to my glass!

I'll be wanting some Ellie glass...

What kind of glasswork do you do?

I fuse glass. I make jewelry right now. Practice...I am hoping to move up to plates, vases, bowls, etc. I'm also getting into flameworked beads. Making glass beads over a torch flame. Hoping to eventually be able to sell some of my stuff eventually.

An example of something I've done...

GhostTree-1.jpg

Edited by DawnMM

I fuse glass. I make jewelry right now. Practice...I am hoping to move up to plates, vases, bowls, etc. I'm also getting into flameworked beads. Making glass beads over a torch flame. Hoping to eventually be able to sell some of my stuff eventually.

An example of something I've done...

GhostTree-1.jpg

That is gorgeous! Can't wait to see your first glass Grey!:)

Steve n Misty