NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A GREAT bird store in Mass.

kave70

We had the privledge of going to my favorite bird store yesterday. It's in Southwick, Mass and it's called the Parrot and Bird Emporium.

Janet (one of the owners) spent a few hours with us, helping us learn more about Sam and about all the birds, and even gave Sam a clicker training class, along with some of her birds. She helped my husband a bit, but said she mostly wanted to focus on Sam and I, since we haven't gotten very far in our relationship.

We have been there before and each time they treat every customer like they are family and every bird like they are part of the flock. Sam had his wings and nails clipped (our reason for bringing him) and then spent the afternoon there, on play gyms, with other birds. She sent out to go out to the bakery, grab a coffee, and give Sam some alone time there. I think it let her spend a little time with him and feel him out. They have the store birds all over the place, on play stands and interacting with customers. They all are clicker trained and we saw they perform the coolest tricks.

I learned some of the things I wasn't doing right, but mostly, I learned that I'm doing LOADS right with him. That was such a boost in confidence and last night, Sam stepped up on me several times. I was blown away at the progress we made in such little time.

On a side note, she let me help feed some of the babies in the nursery, and I totally fell in love with a little Rose Breasted Cockatoo.

Sam left with toys, treats, and a mommy that now knows how to hold him and snuggle a bit.

WOO HOOO

If anyone is in the area it's an experience, for sure.

Here's the facebook page, if anyone is interested in checking it out.

http://www.facebook.com/theparrotandbirdemporium?ref=ts&__adt=6&__att=iframe

Karen and Sam

Nice toknow, I live a little over 2 hours away, but am wondering, sounds like lots of birds, but what is their toy inventory like? Id like to make the trip, but only looking for toys etc. I have 5 so, no more birds!!

It's a small store front, not loads of toys- but she is geared more towards training. I've been in stores with plenty more toys, and this seems less. I will take some photos next time I'm there, to show you the layout/selection, if you would like.

I'm about 1 1/2 hours, and love the trip :-)

Karen and Sa,

I left there with so much information that I was on a bit of overload. However, using the way the owner taught me, I cuddled with Sam, by myself, for the first time EVER. She showed me in the store, and even made me practice in a quiet room there and last night we sat on the couch and I was able to rub his head and his beak and he was OK with it. Awesome!

I really wish we had some type of store that catered to just birds, all we have are pet stores that carry some bird supplies but nothing as varied as what you would find in a store entirely of all things for birds, I have always wanted to go to that bird superstore in New Jersey and one day I will make it there but for now I have to rely on the internet or the bird fair to get stuff for them.