NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How did you find your Grey?

Guest Jocelyn

Guest Jocelyn

Hi all,

I'm new and in the process of looking into Greys. We are thinking of getting one in a few months. What I had not realized is now is probably a good time to look into breeders since it seems a lot of them stay with the breeder for 16+ weeks.

We are in Winnipeg Manitoba and somehow I think finding a Grey is going to be one of the biggest struggles (I have seen them in pet stores but I don't know if that is the right route to go).

Where did you get your Grey? How did you find it?

Thanks in advance guys!

Petstores are an ok route to go, as long as you do your research first so you know what to look for. We could help you come up with a list of important stuff if that's the easiest route for you to go. I tried both routes, unfortunately. My first CAG, Buttons, I lost to PVD, which was not the store's fault, however they didn't handle the situation well enough for me to pursue a baby with them again. I then called local pet shops and vets and asked if they knew of any breeders, and that's how I found my FABULOUS breeder. She raised an exceptionally good little baby for me and is still always available to me for questions. Really, either route you pick, the main thing is to have an idea ahead of time of what you're looking for and what possible red flags may be...and there's tons of wonderful people here that can help you be informed about what to look for.

Guest Jocelyn

That is good to know, I know with some exotics its best not buy through a store. Helping me or pointing me in the direction of a list would be awesome! Also any websites with good general info would be great too.

Looked on the internet and Craig's List for breeders. One grey I got in Washington State and one in Oregon State. Both from excellent and loving breeders. Both breeders required that potential new parronts come to their homes to get their babies, they would not sell them any other way. And neither would take a deposit. They wanted to meet the buyers personally. My TAG will be 4 years old next month and my CAG turned 1 year old this month. I couldn't be happier as I was unable to find grey breeders in my home town/area.

Guest Jocelyn

Yeah I am looking into Kijiji right now, which is Canada's more common classifieds. Nothing on there in my area right now but that could change, and we are not in any rush.

My wife and I had been looking at and for a grey for over a year and a half and one day we stoped at a pet shop that specialized in baby parrrrots.

We had done business with this shop for many years for food and supplies for our cockatiels along with bying tiels from them before.

One day we stoped in to pick up some supplies and they had some baby greys that were nine weeks old. We did not stop to buy any birds but we looked at the baby greys and this one grey ran over to the wife up her arm to her shoulder and took a big poop on her shoulder.

The wife said that she picked us out so we left a deposit. That was eleven years ago. Best money ever spent.

I don't know if my story will help, but here in Dubai, I bought my CAG through a local breeder too. No pet shop or anything. The guys here adviced me to do so, and it was an excellent one. Local breeders do take a lot more care when raising baby parrots. I have lost my first parrot Twix, and now I got DI who is through a local breeder. DI looks a lot healthier than Twix. Good luck

Ok, don't have the parrot yet but... I've met my breeder and we got on great, 3 hours of birdy chats and meeting all the birds, he's the only breeder on our island, possibly the only one in any of the islands. I can't get my parrot until probably next year (after my wedding etc) but he told me he'll always be breeding parrots so to come back and he'll be happy to sell me one with a cage and an aviator harness (both of which he recommended), I would be able to visit any time I wanted for cuddles and getting the baby used to me and an aviator harness - all with no deposit because it's still quite a trust based economy here! It's probably a nicer experience than going to a pet store, plus as the same guy would supply the pet store, I'd be getting the same bird but with the pet store's margin added in but without the nicer additions of getting to know the baby, plus if we didn't get on with "our" baby for any reason, he'd be ok with us choosing another or if another bird chose us. If we ordered from the pet store, this wouldn't be an option.

Phew- sorry about all that, my other half calls me crazy parrot lady... which is why I lurk here and learn as much as possible from everyone else, and I love their parrot stories :)

All the best with your search Jocelyn!

One option is to see if there is a local bird club. If so, attend a meeting or two and ask for recommendations.

I first saw Ellie as a tiny baby at the bird show put on by the local bird club. I spoke to the breeder for a while, took her card, excitedly convinced my wife to "let me" get a Grey, and called the breeder as she was driving home from the bird show...

image.php?u=7772&dateline=1309280709&type=profile

I didn't do any research into the breeder and I kinda regret that, but I'm glad that I have Ellie!

Guest Jocelyn

What a lovely girl! Funny you mention that today I went online and found a club in my area. I shot them an email and I am going to look into sitting in on a meeting, doesn't seem like there's many greys in the parrot club but its worth a shot

I got my grey from a member of my bird club, she has experience handfeeding birds so she got me a baby grey and fed and weaned it for me. A bird club would be a great place to look for birds and where to get them for most of them participate in local bird fairs and shows.

I found Sophie thru newspaper add. Very cheap. 500 dollars for both her and cage. Little did I know there would be three couples and myself and kids interviewing for her. I screwed up the first interview, couldn't even answer his questions. She was all over the couch, and all over me! I couldn't focus on his questions! Second interview sucked as well. I left again, feeling dejected and sad, since I loved her already. I told kids we weren't getting her.( all of the other applicants already had grey experience). We GOT her! I was shocked and sooooo happy!

When her daddy called me to tell me the news, of course I was crazy with happiness! When we picked her up, I asked him why he chose us. He laughed.... " he didn't pick us."So happy she is ours! Nancy.. Sophie did!"

Guest Jocelyn

The parrot club was a great suggestion, seems they are a friendly and very willing to help group. Best part is they advised me of not one but 2 breeders in Manitoba. (Well ones a breeder, one is a pet store that breeds). I emailed them both and will keep you all posted!

I found Sophie thru newspaper add. Very cheap. 500 dollars for both her and cage. Little did I know there would be three couples and myself and kids interviewing for her. I screwed up the first interview, couldn't even answer his questions. She was all over the couch, and all over me! I couldn't focus on his questions! Second interview sucked as well. I left again, feeling dejected and sad, since I loved her already. I told kids we weren't getting her.( all of the other applicants already had grey experience). We GOT her! I was shocked and sooooo happy!

When her daddy called me to tell me the news, of course I was crazy with happiness! When we picked her up, I asked him why he chose us. He laughed.... " he didn't pick us."So happy she is ours! Nancy.. Sophie did!"

This is such great story! I had tears in my eyes after I read it. :)

Kim

we rehomed kallie after her owner passed away. i had mentioned my interest in adopting a grey to our avian vet and they're the ones that called us about kallie's situation. the daughters of this lady couldn't keep the birds (kallie and 2 u2's) this woman had due to their own medical issues or fear of birds. they wanted to find the best new forever homes for their mom's birds. we were interviewed and went to meet kallie. we could go visit her most any time we wanted. we even had a home visit at our house so they could see where kallie was going. we got kallie, her huge cage, all toys, food and initial vet check for nothing!!! we offered to pay something, like the vet visit or the cage or something, but they refused any money. they're only goal was good forever homes for the birds.

I was lucky to find the pet store that I did thru the phone book it literally was the last ad in the list!!!! I almost gave up, but they are a small shop that ONLY hand raise all their babies and they do an amazing job! I visit my baby every weekend and she is now almost ready to go home! :D

Guest Jocelyn

Thats awesome! Our Parrot club told me to check out a pet store as well, a smaller one I would have never thought to look at.

I, too, am looking for a Grey and as mentioned in another post, am having quite the hard time!!! How do you guys feel about adopting a bird that is already a little older? Say a year or so? I can find a couple that need homes, (one is 11 months) but I just don't know since I know they bond with you so much better if you get them young.