NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for suggestions on a tabletop gym.

I recently scavenged and was planning on making a play gym out of this table:

6821702112_8a6e9b6dc3.jpg

The way I look at it, I've got 3 options:

A) Set Spencer's (TAG) travel cage on it and hang toys off of it, perhaps with Anya's ('tiel) small tabletop gym on top of her. - What I do now.

B) Cut/drill a hole in the middle and extend a 1" PCV center post through it (inserted into the post of the base - I took the top off and saw this is possible) and extend perches off that center post.

C) Make an inverted PVC 'U' and hang toys/perches from that. I first thought of PVC pocket flanges as the base, but can't really find ones I like. Instead, it seems I can just drill pockets about 3/4 of the way into the existing 'counter top' and support the PVC that way.

I might also put a lip around the tabletop to catch 'stuff.'

Thoughts on pros/cons of the options above? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Great ideas. I would say, that whatever you build, remember, they most likely will spend most of their time on the highest point, so that's where the most fun should be. You could build a gym on the table with PVC pipe put into the holes you drill in the table, and a hanging swing or boing rope from the ceiling that they could climb up to?

My floor stand has a base on casters that looks a lot like that table top. It has three thick natural branches maybe two and a half inches in diameter attached with screws from the bottom. I was looking for photos of some type of flange that would accept a short piece of PVC that you could then put a branch into and hold it in place with screws so it wouldn't turn or tip over. When I had a sick, unsteady young grey, I put the whole thing in an infant's pack and play so if he fell off the dogs wouldn't scare him. I like the idea of putting his travel cage on the table top so he gets accustomed to playing on and around it. I had a smaller cage that Gilbert spent his whole summer in. I just put ropes up around it so he had lots of climbing space and he liked that a lot. An added benefit is that most of his droppings went right back into the cage for easy clean up. I also bought a plastic tub-like concrete mixing trough from the hardware store for twenty dollars and set the travel cage down in it so it caught the messes he flung around. Maybe up there in your neck of the woods you could find a child's plastic sled for a catch tray to set the table on.

Talon, I can't do a ceiling swing where I want this due to a cathedral ceiling and the fact I like being married. :D Besides, I already have one in the kitchen which he pretty much ignores (though Anya has taken to lately).

I've kind of stalled on this project because I can't decide if I want to do the 'monkey bars' in all PVC, or just do the frame in PVC and use dowels for the rungs. PVC would be more durable, dowels would require less materials and the ability to vary sizes. One requires more cutting, the other, drilling. I'm sure whatever I do will be unloved and ignored. :D

Mark,

For a base in my tall play-stand, I used the following parts for the vertical PVC risers:

2" threaded plug:

025528143206sm.jpg

I drilled a hole in this and bolted it to the wooden base.

Then I put in a 1 1/2" to 3/4" bushing (slip fit on both):

025528133122lg.jpg

It is a perfect slip fit into the inside of the plug.

I used 3/4" PVC pipe for the risers (like you I have a TAG - for a CAG, I'd use 1").

I also have a center pole, but that was part of my original design that wasn't sufficiently stable. The center pole is 1", with a combination of a threaded/slip adapter and a galvanized floor flange. (In your case, I'd use schedule 80, since Spencer will probably go down to the table top.)

025528131784sm.jpg025528164140sm.jpg

If that doesn't make sense, I can include some pictures...

I hope that is useful!

Edited by Doug

As to the design of the play-stand, may I suggest something similar to what I did with my OTHER PVC play-stand:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21027&d=1319051524

It is all 1/2" except for the horizontal cross bar, which is 3/4". (She has a lot of natural wood in her cage and on the cage's playtop, so I didn't worry too much about variation.)

The horizontal bar doesn't get much action from Ellie, but it is important for strength/stability.

This playstand is a big hit with Ellie - she climbs all over it, including down on the table/tray surface. She is on this every evening for an hour or three (she also spends time on me or her cage play-top). I'm not sure I'd change anything, with the exception of making the tray a bit bigger so when she goes to the outer reaches of the PVC and poops, she doesn't hit the carpet...

My only problem is that it is difficult to get newspaper to fill the space. I'd prefer a slick surface that I could wipe versus unfinished wood that has to be covered...

Note: this picture was taken before I finished it. I added wheels, finished the vet wrap (I had run out), and added more toys.

6280195248_48e671e270_m.jpg

Whatcha doin', Doug? by shyzaboy, on Flickr

7003127907_b22ebbaa3a_m.jpg

Simple toys can be the most amusing... by shyzaboy, on Flickr

Edited by Doug

As to the design of the play-stand, may I suggest something similar to what I did with my OTHER PVC play-stand:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21027&d=1319051524

It is all 1/2" except for the horizontal cross bar, which is 3/4". (She has a lot of natural wood in her cage and on the cage's playtop, so I didn't worry too much about variation.)

The horizontal bar doesn't get much action from Ellie, but it is important for strength/stability.

This playstand is a big hit with Ellie - she climbs all over it, including down on the table/tray surface. She is on this every evening for an hour or three (she also spends time on me or her cage play-top). I'm not sure I'd change anything, with the exception of making the tray a bit bigger so when she goes to the outer reaches of the PVC and poops, she doesn't hit the carpet...

My only problem is that it is difficult to get newspaper to fill the space. I'd prefer a slick surface that I could wipe versus unfinished wood that has to be covered...

Note: this picture was taken before I finished it. I added wheels, finished the vet wrap (I had run out), and added more toys.

6280195248_48e671e270_m.jpg

Whatcha doin', Doug? by shyzaboy, on Flickr

7003127907_b22ebbaa3a_m.jpg

Simple toys can be the most amusing... by shyzaboy, on Flickr

Wow that is great :D

i love this stand and this is what i would like to build for festus(with a wider base to catch poop lol),what is the stuff you wrapped around the pvc called? i think you mentioned it was "vet" wrap? what is that and where can i get some?

AKA flexible bandages (for pets!!)

Petsmart: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4239986

Tractor Supply: http://www.tractorsupply.com/horse-wound-care/vetrap-bandaging-tape-4-in-w-x-5-yd-l-black-5051412

On and on...

Any pet store or farm supply store will carry it.

Since animals tend to chew on their bandages, this stuff is supposed to be safe for chewin'...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...