NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

After 7 Years Caged Bound

petite0ne

I am so excited to announce that after 7 yrs in his cage Buddy took his freedom yesterday and finally came out of his cage!! He crawled up the side of his cage to the top and began dancing, bobbing, whistling and talking as though he were partying!! This is Bud waving a cheery "Hello" to you!!

IMG_0435-1.jpg

My husband and I were so excited to have Buddy out, we had not even considered how to get him back into his cage. Bud seemed hesitant to crawl back down the side to go inside. He still isn't hand trained yet (that is our next step), so my husband had a brilliant idea to take his food bowl which he stands on everyday to use to entice him back. Buddy stood on the side of the bowl and Dan lowered him back without issue :)

A little history for those who do not know me. My husband and I adopted Buddy 11/07/11 after my brother passed away. Buddy, 7 yrs old, has always been a caged bird, but we want very much for him to be comfortable with more freedom. We've had him now less than 3 months and are so happy with his progress!! Buddy and we are learning together. My husband and I have had no prior experience raising a CAG or any other type of bird for that matter - I never thought in my wildest dreams this adventure could be so much fun!! As you can see from his feathers, Christmas decorations were a challenge for him. Because of this I did not decorate the room his cage is in, nor did I turn on the Christmas lights without covering his cage first, but it was still stressful for him. I am hoping he will stop picking his feather with the return to normalcy.

Everyone in this wonderful forum has been so incredibly helpful to me in getting to know and what to expect from Bud!!! I thank you so much and will continue to update you on his progress!! I know one day Buddy will be traveling around our house sitting on a shoulder and will have the most spectacular feathers!

This is all so exciting :)

petiteOne... you and hubby are naturals! Congradulations! Continue to follow your instincts, as we all did. I promise you, if you continue to do excellent decision making as you do, someday, you will be able to walk by your birds cage, they will stepup without being asked. While I was feeding dogs this morning, Sophie walked in, wanted a piece of the chicken they eat daily. ( long story). I gfave Sophie a piece of chicken, she was nibbling on it... she was done, told Zoey... " Zoey... come here!" She thru Zoey piece of chicken she didn't want anymore. Zoey, my dog, was very grateful. I went off to work thinking how lucky I am. Birds and dogs love each other, and share. Nancy

Last night was Buddy's third time out. With each venture out of his cage, he shows more and more excitement and confidence to be out and on his own. Last night after 30 minutes or so out, he didn't want to be transported back. He fell to the carpeted floor with clipped wings spread, so had a soft landing. Buddy has no experience with a view looking up into our family room, so was a bit shaken by the experience. He quickly climbed onto the side of his empty water bowl when offered and went back into the cage. If given the opportunity, I think Buddy won't hesitate coming out again tonight. We just need to find an easier way to coax him back inside. I do put his favorite fruit inside his food bowl, which he shows he want desperately, but he can't find the way to go back inside.

When I re-homed an older male ekkie, he was unflighted. He had not flown for 7 1/2 years when I re-homed him. I would let him out of his cage, and had a wooden ladder that he would climb up on to get back in when he wanted. I also hung knotted ropes in my home so he could climb up where he wanted in the places I wanted him to climb. A ladder or knotted rope might help Buddy get around more on his own.

Right now he refuses anything new. I have a ladder & a long comfy rope perch but he doesn't want them any where around him. He seems to recoil in fright when I bring them out. We would like to introduce a standing perch but see we need to progress slowly

Last night after being on top of his cage he fell again to the floor and simply began exploring the room :) I put our dog, Mandy, in the bedroom so she wouldn't startle Bud on his adventure. His outing was a total hour this time. I clearly see that being away from his cage is going to open new opportunities to introduce new toys, ladders, knotted ropes, etc to his life. I think tonight when we let him out, we will simply put him directly onto the floor so we won't have to be concerned about his falling.

Bud is so happy this morning! I think he knows his life is expanding

Just take one day at a time, slow and easy and see how it goes but you are doing great so far, I think in time as he goes further from the cage he will open up more as many view their cage as their safe zone and if he gets more comfortable away from the cage then you will be able to interact with him more, looking forward to hearing lots more about Buddy.

Wow! You stole my story! We "inherited" our CAG, Millie, that had been cage bound for 8-9 years. It took her a few months before she would come out of her cage. We opened her door everyday then one day she was ready and came out. We put a treat on her perch and tell her it's time to "kennel up". (that's what we tell the dogs when we put them outside in the kennel). We've had her about 17 months now and gets out everyday for hours. Some days she won't come out until my son comes home from school as he is her chosen one, haha Now we've added a few more parrots to the flock and are amazed by them everyday! We never knew what we had been missing all those years without a parrot in the house.

I believe your bird is showing you " trust". Away from the cage, makes training even easier.Continue to practice " stepup, stepdown". Decide on a bedtime. My birds go to bed at 8pm. Have bird stepup, away from cage at the bedtime you have decided. Go to cage... say " stepdown!" It may take many nights of practicing, but stick to your guns! If you have open cage, and bird returns... return your baby to cage. Say " stepdown". Bedtime! My birds now walk in to their cages, when I tell them it is bedtime. Their room is quiet, and dark. I have open cages. They don't return when told, bedtime. Nancy

Last night was another Big Step for Buddy. When he was let out, he went straight to the top of the cage. Dan again used the side of the empty water bowl to transport Bud to the floor which I had lined with sofa pillows around the furniture to basically make a confined "playpen" for him just in case he decided to get too adventurous. We all just had so much fun! Buddy walked all around, discovering all the toys I have had to put out of his sight while he has been in his cage. There's a whole lot of bonding going on here during these evenings out :) My pictures are not great as we had the lights low, but I would like to share our experience with you all since you have seen us through ~

Here's a picture taken last night of Buddy with his newest Best Friend

1328272181.jpg

And.......(sound the trumpets!!).... Buddy went on Dan's arm and allow him to transport him back to his cage!! :D (again, not a great photo, but I did get the evidence) :lol:

1328272322.jpg

Thanks again, for all your wonderful support + guidance :D

Edited by petite0ne

This is one of my favorite threads and illustrates the change in your life from accepting Buddy and sharing your journey with us. It may be that you had this undiscovered joy within you that Buddy is bringing out, but I think the way you both have embraced him and the way he is responding to you is marvelous. He may have been cagebound, but he was obviously loved and tenderly cared for and your progress is an inspiration. Our rehomed little fellow is still reluctant to step up, still wary after almost a year. But he does clamor inside his cage at bedtime when I start turning down the lights and tell him it is time because he wants an almond. He has stopped calling every food item a cracker, he has taken a hint from the interactions with the dogs to call almonds a treat. I give him almonds in the shell and we started, I would use needle nosed pliers to break off just the tip so he could get started. Now he just cracks them himself but he had to be taught how. You will find just the right motivation for Buddy to step up and for him to be willing to be taken back to his cage when it is bedtime. It also helped us a lot to put a short rope perch on the inside of the door to his cage in a loop shape. Now that is where he goes when he wants to come out and it is easy for him to step back down onto it when he wants to go inside. It is low enough I can open and close the door without his head getting in the way. It has been really helpful in getting him in and out of his cage. You will find what works best for Buddy and for your family. It just takes tiny little changes to make big differences in our interactions. You are always such a heart warming presence in our lives, thank you.