NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi, new to the forum and need some help plz.

Gandalf the Grey

Good day!(or night ).

My name is semion, i live in Israel, and new to this forum.

I purchased an African grey about a week ago, and named him Gandalf (as in lord of the rings "Gandalf the Grey).

Every day i have to leave the house for about 5-6 hours to work and i had an idea.

I own a recording studio, so i made a recording of my voice, saying a few words I'd like Gandalf to pick up.

do you think it's a good idea?, or will it just mess with him and irritate him?

sorry if my English is not that good......

kind regards.

Good day!(or night ).

My name is semion, i live in Israel, and new to this forum.

I purchased an African grey about a week ago, and named him Gandalf (as in lord of the rings "Gandalf the Grey).

Every day i have to leave the house for about 5-6 hours to work and i had an idea.

I own a recording studio, so i made a recording of my voice, saying a few words I'd like Gandalf to pick up.

do you think it's a good idea?, or will it just mess with him and irritate him?

sorry if my English is not that good......

kind regards.

Your English is VERY good!

Welcome to this forum! Your idea to have a recording of your voice is a great idea! You might also want to include some music since most greys seem to enjoy it.

Thank you all for your comments!

Gandalf is a Congo African Grey.

he is 1 years old, and handfed.

When he is out of his cage, he climbs on my shoulder, but won't always let me touch him, and makes a click noise when i, or someone els approaches him.

O and i got him from a pet store, don't know about previous owners.... don't think he had any...

44.jpg

Hi Semion and welcome to our greyt nation. You will learn so much here as this site has a plethra of knowledge. Ask all the questions you need to and look up and read about greys. I like the idea of your voice for gandalf. I would also use music for him. I put cartoons on for my birds, it's entertaining even the comercials are comical.

I would be inclined to have other voices than you own and some music or even recordings of jungle sounds. Save your own voice for helping him to associate words and phrases with meaningful activity. Most of the words and phrases that Misty has he can use in some kind of context when he chooses and those are in my voice. Your voice is special to Gandalf so don't waste it.

Steve n Misty

Welcome Semion and Gandalf. Not only it is a great idea... take it one step furthur.... record music of all kinds. You will learn what your bird loves! ( hopefully NOT rap). Sophie's favorite! It drives me crazy! She is an awesome dancer, has lots of fantastic moves! Kids work with her all the time with dancing and rap. ( clean mouth). Not allowed to curse, or be taught a bad word or suggestion. Also... she is only allowed to learn rap songs, that have positive messages.

I know it stinks.... but shoulder status is only earned after 100% trust is established between you and baby. Once baby steps up easily on request, follows your instructions, and you trust baby, THEN, they can be on shoulder. Until then, wrist only.It is important to establish child/parent relationship first. Even more important than establishing... " my bird LIKES me!" On average, at least six months. We are all excited to help you!Baby sounds fantastic and headed to be an excellent friend and family member! Nancy and Sophie

Play segments of music, excerpts of whistling , intersperse with your voice.

Include segments of 10-15 seconds of silence in between all the sound or music part.

Let you bird enjoy the variety and that should be the foremost thought you should have.

If your bird pick up those sounds and whistling, take that as a very lucky bonus.

I prepared CD of all that.

None of which my birdies picked up.

I knocked my finger and shouted a mighty F**K just once. And immediately Tinkerbell repeated and repeated that.

Took a long time before she stopped saying that.

Microwave peeping, cars reversing, my kitties meowings handphone calling, all those useless and worse than useless sounds she picked up at first hearing.

That CD? Nyet.

When I talked with her, she picked that up, and used that in context with me.

But not all birdies are alike, especially greys. So go ahead. What that did not work for me might well work for you.

And yes! good luck!