NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wanting another bird- Thinking about Umbrella Too?

ZephyrDarkwolf

I have a line on a clutch of U2's babies about to hatch this month from a wonderful area breeder. I've been watching videos on Youtube and I'm completely charmed by them! I was hoping to hear from 'too owners how they are to live with. We have our own house (though we will be moving in about a year and a half), I'm home most of the day since I don't work and we have a TAG. I'm not just looking for the 'oh they're great pets', I really want to know all the nitty gritties about owning a 'too. The good and DEFINITELY the bad! I want to be able to make my decision with open eyes, not just because they are cute.

Hello,

I have a too named chuckles. He is three, he was a rescue. He was neglected more than abused. He is a love muffin, as most are. He loves to cuddle, and when he turns his head resting it on my chest staring up at me with those big black eyes I just melt They are extremely loud, I mean the decibel level is just below a 747. He has chosen me as his mate so he is very protective. They can and will bite very hard and deep. I'm working on his screaming, getting a lot of advice. Toys and training and more training as they are very smart. They will always have the maturity level of a three year old. He is a lot of fun. The biggest problem is the screaming.He talks little and has learned more since I have him, from me and my grey. My little conure yells back. My Doberman howls, its quite the zoo at my house.

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

Haha sounds like a ton of fun over at your place! I met a sweet boy at a local pet shop yesterday and all he wanted was cuddles and scritches. I've also been thinking about a macaw since I heard they are less prone to biting. I love how pretty and sweet Hyacinths are! Thanks for the response, we're still debating!

Well, the breeder only gets two a year. We're going to put deposits down for 2013 and he/she will be weaned by 2014. She said it takes 8-12 months for the weaning process! Then we'll go to Florida to pick him up...So, ya. A while!! We also wanted to make sure we had a few years to spend with Oscar to make sure he's happy and bonded with us!

Hyacinths are at least five or six years down the road for me I think. If my boyfriend gets to build his ten thousand dollar computer, I get to buy a ten thousand dollar bird! haha!

Seriously though, when you do get him/her please post oh so many pictures.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been visiting my TAG at the pet store he's not fully weaned but will be in a couple weeks. Anyhow there is a CAG that has been nesting and now caged with my baby TAG. Ive never paid much attention to the other bird, but on my visit a week ago I totally fell in love with the other bird. My tag is a little nippy and doesn't like me to handle it much... They were both out the cage and the Cag keep walking up to me wanting to step up and me to scritch his head and neck, while my bird was trying to run away and not be touched. The bird is also beautiful I think it is a red factor because its feathers are grey with light pink on the tips on its back. I would gladly buy this bird the only problem is someone put a deposit on it right before I put my deposit on my tag. I haven't gave up on my tag I think he will come around. And Im still looking forward to bringing my tag home But I am so in love with the Cag. While visiting today I just found out the person that put the deposit down hasn't been seen since. I visit once a week to bond with my bird. So if they change there mind Im willing to bring both home :-)

Do you love the other bird more? If so... is the bird available for adoption? Find out! It is important to bond with your new baby. If you love another bird more, and is NOT available to you, NOT sure the first bird is meant for you. Bonding to me, is very important. Birds pick us! We don't pick the bird. All relationships I have ever had, bird picked us! Nancy

I wouldn't necessarily say I love the CAG more. I still want my TAG and I'm willing to work on gaining his trust no matter what. I know it will take a lot of patients, love and proper handling and i will give that to him. He is special to me and is a beautiful bird just the way he is. I've been around since they both were 8 weeks old, and watched them grow together. I love my TAG I think about him everyday that I'm not with him. I don't think my TAG hates me he's just a baby. He will step up & sometimes he doesnt want to get down. Sometimes he don't want me to touch him and I can respect that.

The CAG on the other hand is not up for adoption they are at a pet store. Like I said in my previous post I never paid much attention to the CAG because when I come to visit the employee will just hand me my TAG. And the other bird would stay in the cage... Well one visit I had the pleasure of spending time with both because they were out when I arrived. The CAG ammediatly came up to me to get my attention. And she sometimes was a little jealous when I was showing my bird attention and not her. She would kinda push my Tag out the way if I was giving him to much attention.

She is a very sweet bird and I think she picked me. I feel bad that who ever put the deposit down does not come to bond or spend time with her. I don't know the persons reason but they are definitely missing out right now. I wish I could give them both a good home and keep them together. So I told the store owner I will gladly take her to if the person doesnt show up to get her or change their mind. But who ever gets her will be happy and I hope she will be too. Because I am happy with my decision to get my baby TAG!

• 4 weeks later...

My, how quickly things change. My wife would kill me if a 2-year plan turned into a "Today!" plan. ;) Good luck and congrats.

Not AT ALL intended to rain on your parade, but this thread made me think of this. In browsing PetFinder lately (I am NOT really looking for another bird yet, just looking AT them) I've noticed that in the 3 major bird rescues around me, 'toos GREATLY outnumber any other species. Just by general impression, they might even equal the total number of all other bird species at the rescue. Of course this is not a scientific survey, but I have to wonder A) are 'toos given up that much more often than others B) are 'toos that much harder to rehabilitate and rehome once in a rescue or C) am I just seeing something that isn't there?

My, how quickly things change. My wife would kill me if a 2-year plan turned into a "Today!" plan. ;) Good luck and congrats.

Not AT ALL intended to rain on your parade, but this thread made me think of this. In browsing PetFinder lately (I am NOT really looking for another bird yet, just looking AT them) I've noticed that in the 3 major bird rescues around me, 'toos GREATLY outnumber any other species. Just by general impression, they might even equal the total number of all other bird species at the rescue. Of course this is not a scientific survey, but I have to wonder A) are 'toos given up that much more often than others B) are 'toos that much harder to rehabilitate and rehome once in a rescue or C) am I just seeing something that isn't there?

Oblivion- You are seeing EXACTLY what is there. Cockatoos are given up more than any other bird. People get them on a whim because they are cute, and cuddly....but when the honeymoon is over, and the Too gets bigger, louder, hormonal, and develops COMMON behavioral issues, they get rid of them. They are very prone to feather plucking, mutilation, cloacal prolapse, among many other things.

I won't say that Too's are harder to rehome... but you must take into account the behavioral issues that make it difficult to place them. Plucking and mutilation will be an ongoing battle, and will require LOTS of visits to an avian vet. Also, the rescue must make sure they are rehoming the Too into the correct home, to avoid them getting rid of the bird down the road as well.

It is my personal opinion that they should not be sold in the pet trade WHATSOEVER. A lot of them don't do well in captivity, and the pet trade is destroying these beautiful creatures. If you have never been to this site, have a visit...you will learn A LOT: http://www.mytoos.com

I have a U2 in my home. I love him very much, and I couldn't imagine my home without his crazy antics. He is a rescue, and had SERIOUS LIFE THREATENING ISSUES when he came to live with me. We have spent a small fortune in vet bills, and we still have ongoing, and permanent health issues with him.

I do want to make one thing clear though, before I end this post.... It is not only rehomed, rescued, or whatever you want to call them Too's that end up with these issues. It can happen to ANY OF THEM. You could have hand raised you Too, spoiled it, gave it unwavering attention.... and now your Too is half naked, bloody, screaming, and picking holes in his chest. It KILLS me to see it, and I hope one day we can make it right by no longer profiting off of them. So many of them need homes already, the last thing we should be doing is breeding them to make a freakin' buck.