NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help deciding on a name

reggieroo

As some of you know I adopted a grey last week after losing my grey friend Murphy in the summer. Now I'm pretty sure she is a she & so were her last carers who were vets.

The only problem I'm having is deciding a name for her. So far my little 2 year old girl has called her blu from her favorite film Rio & I thought of Macy & Kate thought of Marley & then we thought maybe Missy?

Any suggestions are welcome, don't take offense if I don't chose your suggestion though as I'm very picky & can't even decide on my own suggestions. :eek::P

So far we have:

Blu

Macy

Marley

Missy

There's male and female names here plus names that can apply to both. Maybe this'll help

.Sunny--- Vergil ---Paco---- Floyd--- Skye ---- Poncho--- Taz --- Sparky --- Ozzie--- Buffy --- Roxy---Joey --Maxie ----Dusty ----Sammy---- Gumby ---- Cisco ----Paddy -----Romeo--- Buster---- Sunshine---- Scooter---- Moonshine ----Sugar---- Sweetie ---- Tazzy------ Petey---- Juan ----- Tiger -----Tweets ----Keiko---Cody---- Okie -----Rexxy----- Chipper -----Minnie ----- Bart----- Ricki ----Kiwi ----- Sunny -----Reba ----Tino----- Buddy---- Angel ------Yuska -------Zelda ----Tookie -----Harley ------ Buster -----Zoey -----Jax----- Ricky------ Princie ---- Mokie-----Coco -----Penny----- Molly ------ Peaches -----Candy -----Ozzy------ Bandit --

Oscar ------Tango------ Sweet Pea ------ Hogan ------Harry------ Sophie----- Rosa ----Robbie ----- Casper ----- Elvis ------ Chipper--- Sweet Pea -----Nibbles----- Sparky------Mickey----Suger ----- Dusty------ Rocky------ Belle

it didn't start out this way, but we have a "greek" theme going, lol! we had a husky named hermes when i got our peach front conure. well keeping with the greek thing, i named her athena (we found out 2 years later, she's really a he, hahaha) then we adopted a husky mix named lily and also had a box turtle named herman (herman and lily munster!) well we released the turtle (he was crossing a road and we "rescued" him temporarily) and last year we lost lily to a brain tumor. then came a chance to rehome kallie (her original name was honey). so i went looking back at greek names and found kalliope, a muse and as a name it means beautiful voice. last may we lost hermes to a stroke. (i don't think hermes ever got over missing lily).

do you have other pets or favorite movies/characters, to do a "theme"? as odd as the names we've picked out for our pets, it's brought us lots of fun and laughs and believe it or not, they really did/do have characteristics of their names!

Edited by thenabrd

This is just the most fun ever to think of names for your new little bundle of Joy. What ever you decide to name her keep saying it with Murphy so if the happiest situation of all comes to pass that he returns home it will roll off your tongue for the pair of them. There is no hurry to give her a name, one day you will realize that something you were trying on for size just became a perfect fit. Either that or she may pipe up and reference herself. Our guy Gilbert came in knowing his own name. Sometimes if he is out of sorts, like during a thunderstorm he will say "Gilbert okay" as if he is reassuring himself. Your girl may settle in and surprise you. We had a coffee theme going at our house with Java and then Kopi. My friends asked if I was going to rename Gilbert and I couldn't do that since he knows already who he is :~} but... I do call him Gilbert machiatto grande when I am really smitten with him. I love how your family is coming together with the love and laughter of having a grey in your home again.

Some of the names suggested have already popped up for example Dave007 suggested one which is sweet pea, well I call her that as a nickname sometimes as well as little miss. Also brianlinkles, Alice is a favorite with Kate at the moment & I kinda like Lulu.

So far the list is:

Blu

Macy

Marley

Missy

Alice

Lulu

Skyler

Star

Gracie

Honey (Hunni)

I'll keep adding as I go on.

Edited by reggieroo

I love all the name suggestions. The ideas just run the gamut--Tupac (urban and bad-a$$) and Sunny(sweet and cheerful) give off such a different vibe! I think names reflect as much about the owners as the they reflect the bird. I chose Gracie for my fid who will be home in about 6 weeks. I'm counting the days!

Ok, well although I like some other names it's been decided by my two year old daughter that her name is going to be Missy. We had mentioned the name Missy in the beginning but hadn't decided then while we were bouncing names around in the kitchen we asked Ella-Rose our daughter what she would like to call the parrot & she came out with "Missy" Then after that she always referred to her as Missy, yesterday she said "daddy Missy messy" & then "Ella's pot in Missy's cage" (we used one of Ella-Rose's pots to give Missy some banana in).

Edited by reggieroo
  • Haha 1

That is perfect! At least your daughter picks good names. Our daughter asked our granddaughter what her unborn baby sister's name will be and she said, "Zuko". I doubt that's going on the birth certificate but that's probably what she will be called by the 3 year old.

My little daughter Ella-Rose is very intelligent for her age, she only turned two just over a week ago & she can talk brilliantly. I really thought we might have a problem explaining that Missy isn't Murphy but she still asks where Murphy, is even though Missy is in he cage so she obviously understands they are not the same bird. Sometime when driving along she asks for the window open to call Murphy then says "daddy Murphy in the trees" :(

She seems to have taken to Missy ok & already they are interacting, every morning Ella-Rose will go to her cage & say "wakey wakey" & asks her "bob head" which Missy does sometimes. :) So I thought it only right to let her name Missy, also I want Ella-rose to have an active role in bringing up Missy just like I did wanted with Murphy. In fact one reason for buying Murphy as a baby was so he could grow up the same age as my little girl & throughout there whole lives they would be the same age & lifelong friends. When Ella-Rose in 35 so would Murphy be 35, even though Murphy is gone Missy is the same age also by a stroke of luck so that will still be my little plan. When me & Kate have passed on Ella-Rose will always have something that is a part of us & will be quite cool to be able to tell her friends "Missy is the same age as me".

Edited by reggieroo