NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timmy's BAD day, but he is OK now

hammco

Well, I was trimming Timmy's nails as usual and he got scared cause my little girl screamed right behind the chair we were sitting in. He jerked and flapped and I cut his nail too far up, WAY TO FAR! He began bleeding instantly and I didnt have any steptic on hand so I applied cornstartch with no luck. After about 10 mins I wrapped him in a towel and rushed to a vet asst friend of mines house, where we then drove to the vets office (on a sunday). we finally got the bleeding to stop but Timmy was very weak and I felt so bad for the little guy. His eyes even rolled around a little and I thought it was the end for ole Timmy, but he made it and is doing fine now (5 days later) but he is weary of me and minding his own business...I dont blame him haha! He will be back to his self shortly, so Im happy everything worked out!

....just wanted to share

....and the vet wouldnt take a dime! God Bless him huh!!

It has been five years since I tried clipping nails after one slip and push of a foot that caused bleeding. It is the scariest thing. It must have been really bad for you and Timmy and I am so grateful your scare had a positive outcome and you are right about the vet being a huge blessing.

It definitely was a scare for all of you ^^ but again I'm just so glad that Timmy is okay after all's been said and done.

In our family, we do have one of those 'grooming' concrete perches in Marcus' cage for him to use, but it unfortunately only seems to be helping his beak... so I've been trying to train/teach him that my using the nail file on his talons is a game when he hangs upside-down from his top bars. I'll say, "Mommy's filing your toes!" and he'll let me do it on one talon for maybe four seconds before he tries to nip the emery board. I figure maybe with enough time and patience he'll get used to the idea and it'll be fun for him (especially because he gets a treat afterward), and I can do all of his talons enough that, between the filing and the concrete perch, that will be all that's needed for Marcus to keep his talons a proper length. Between now and then, though, we'll probably have to make an appointment with the groomer, ourselves. Ah, well.

• 2 weeks later...

Im getting 2 different sized concrete perches for his cage but he only perches at night and maybe a couple times during the day. He likes to walk around on the floor or window ledge across the sunroom. He likes to be flat-footed when he is chilling out (weird huh)....maybe I should get him a pair of sneakers haha!!

That was some scare for you both, glad everything is ok.

When I first got Murphy his nails were very sharp & it hurt to hold him on the hand, I tried a few different perches but only one worked & that was the concrete twister perch. It was one of the best things I ever bought & soon trimmed the sharp tip off his nails & they stayed trimmed all the time I had him.