or, "That's a lot of money for just a bird."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the

costs involved for "just a bird."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a bird."

Many hours have passed when my only company was "just a bird," but I

did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a bird,"

and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a bird"

gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a bird," then you will probably

understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a

promise."

"Just a bird", brings into my life the very essence of friendship,

trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a bird", brings out the compassion and patience that make me a

better person.

Because of "just a bird", I will rise early, and look longingly to

the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a bird" but an

embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future; the fond

memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a bird" brings out what's good in me, and diverts my thoughts

away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a bird,"

but the thing that keeps me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a bird." just smile,

because they...

...."just don't understand."

We do.... :-) Anon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
Guest jules420_91

Thank you so much. Whoever wrote that deserves our gratitude & praise. I just read it to my husband which was very difficult because I was choking back tears. I feel like the writer took the thoughts right out of my mind. I could not have said it better. I feel so blessed to be one of the people who get just what amazing creatures birds are & doubly blessed to share my life with our two parrots. That's the joy of being part of this forum, I am understood. No such thing as just a bird in this house, we are all one big family.

Julie, Greg, Pat, Tarzie & Louie

I have often thought similar thoughts, this was very good. Just yesterday I told a friend about me getting Valentine and how excited I was. He stated I hate to think how much that is costing you. I told him the price and he just couldn't believe it. The birds are my babies, to me you reach the money it hurts for a second, then the love comes rolling in from both parent and birdie. Kind of like, giving birth. Labor is the worse pain you can feel, but once you have that new bundle of joy in your arms, you tend to forget the pain.

If you look at a bird as a dollar sign then find it another home. At times nothing can make me happier, sadder, loved, or even appreciate they way my birds do. They don't sass or backtalk they don't ask for an allowance, or the car keys. Its ok to put them in a cage and leave them there for a while.

• 2 months later...

What a lovely post and I agree with you all whole-heartedly! I have been so busy lately that I haven't taken time out to stop in this forum and chat with my like-minded bird loving friends but I find that it's just like coming home. You all are still here and still standing for what I believe in. Thank you!

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

When I tell people that I have birds as pets, they just laugh; they think that these creatures are nothing but brainless food consuming dust and feather shedding animals :(

I'm used to those reactions now and I'm even more used to the reaction that comes after:

[ Me: Look at this pic of me and my budgie (with him on my shoulder)

Them: Wow! how can you get them to do this? ]

:P most of the times people aren't aware of the capability of these animals.

It's not that they hate birds, it's just that they're ignorant.....and naturally humans tend to criticize and dislike what they ignore ;)

I am a bird enthusiast and I am proud of it! And to be honest, a bird is worth a thousand cats or hamsters !

• 10 months later...

All of God's creatures are amazing. I hate to compare. Clearly a hampster is wonderful in a hampster way. A cat, well they are super wonderful, too. I have spent many happy years with dear cat and dog friends. Real and true friends. It's just so fantastic that we can choose to share our lives with these fantastic creatures. Most humans don't give hampsters, cats, dogs, or parrots the respect they deserve. I absolutely love dogs and cats and parrots-even hampsters. They have all enriched my life in various ways.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I agree. Many people just don't understand parrots at all. None of my friends understand until I have them interact with them. They are amazed when the see for themselves how smart and sensitive they are. They know me enough to know I love my parrots (all my pets for that matter... 2 dogs and 2 cats, 2 fish tanks) so they better be careful what they say cuz I am right there with "what you are talking about my kids!. Some laugh at me, but I don't care I love my animals!!! And no my house does not smell!!!LOL I get that question alot too!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OMG i have been here in a while. Been working alot of hours at work. I agree there. Noone really understands until they see my birds for themselves. Then my friends are amazed.

So.. can I tell you how much I love Chico. He is a great bird. He will go to everyone! I am teaching him to cound and sing. 1-5,twinkle twinkle little star. OMG he is so smart!

1 2 3 twinkle twinkle 4

omg to funny. He talks all the time, is very comfortable with all of us! I just love him.

Fig well he is still very protective of Chico,I love him too. I wish he would sing more often so Chico will pick it up. Someday maybe. . Thinks he is the boss.. Still loving when he wants to be and still the same only that you cant get chico off the same play stand as Fig without Fig trying to run and get you. So Fig goes to another stand first. Like having 2 kids.

Hoping I can come here more often. I enjoy reading all the posts.

Hope everyone loving their parrots like i do! (And of course my cats and dogs and lol my family)

• 2 months later...