NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What's your birds favorite beverage?

Sirkky

I never thought to give BoBo anything other than water. I never let him drink anything out of my glass, I read somewhere on the site that there is something in our saliva that can harm them or make them ill. BoBo gets tons of liquid from the fresh fruits and veggies he has throughout the day. Is there something that he is not already getting that I might want to serve to him to drink?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll sit at the laptop computer with Sam on my knee or shoulder. He's always interested in what I have in my glass on the table. So, I let him sip out of my glass no matter what I'm having... sweet tea, Coca-Cola, or beer, but always in moderation! He's partial to Michelob Ultra Lite Amber....

FYI for all newer members: Shanlung is one of our most knowledgeable and respected members. He would never do anything that would harm his birds. Remeber, moderation is the key operating word when anythig may be lised on some site as bad for your bird. Some thing are not harmful if it is in small quantites and not frequently given. Every once in a while Dayo likes a sip of my coffee, nip off a cookie etc... :)

Do try to relax a bit.

In natural life, animals love alcohol, at least fermented fruits with alcohol in it.

I used to catch butterflies in the forest long long long time ago. In the process, I used

fermenting pineapples as lure. Not too successful as the monkeys around caught a sniff and came

to demonished those fermenting pineapples.

Look at this video on wild animals being tipsy after gorging on fermenting fruits in the wild.

I am not a member of any society, just a simple layman who love animals and not harm or allow harm to them or at least, those with me.

I very seldom drink as that is not my choice for altering my state of mind.

Now and then when I drink , Tinkerbell, and now Riamfada take a sip from me.

4434364253_2005a63d70_b.jpg

And after that, I was the wobbly one as can be seen in the photo below.

4435168722_a006bda43f_b.jpg

From Free flights at Edge of Rub Al Khali Revisited

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/112689.html

A bit of alcohol will not harm them or humans. Too much of anything

will harm everything.

A bit of alcohol hurt them a lot less than the pellets and additives in the pellets that so many folks feed their parrots.

See Hand of Clod //3 hour and day old Mash // Outdoor hide&seek recalls

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/115814.html

Go have a drink and relax.

It will be a very strange world if you, or anyone else can agree with all that I do.

Such a world cannot be a good world.

In my blog on neighbourhood walks, during the sidr fruiting season, Riam showed clear preference for the over-ripe and fermenting sidr fruits. They smell so strongly of alcohol.

4518507946_1dd57affb6_z.jpg

Riam eating and loving fermenting sidr fruit. She allowed one only each time

4515404315_b7231e043a_z.jpg

She loved that fermenting guava that smelled so strongly of alcohol

On my part, over the last two years, I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have a glass. The couple of times when Riam joined me and took a sip of beer, or wine above was not anything I felt bad over.

Saying things are in print do not cut ice with me. Especially as to who said that, and what is his/her qualification. There are too many people with a myopic vision who are in print.

I recalled in my early years almost all articles screaming away that the wings must be cut. And those laughable articles in books and magazines claiming about 'Height Dominance' and the need to assert and impose yourself as the Alpha at the birdie.

Two hundred years ago, parrot expert proclaimed in articles that greys do not need to drink and water is fatal to them.

Try to laugh at that photo and what I wrote in the manner it was intended.

The outside world is rife with intolerance and people who believe their vision is the one true vision and prepared to kill and maim innocents together with those that disagree.

If we live in a more tolerant world and have less of the 'holier than thou' attitude, it will be a far better world for all.

A huge number of experts, scientists and vets and pet shops asserted commercial pellets is the best food for you parrot notwithstanding

the additives added for convenience and shelf life.

Ethoxyquin , originally used to preserve rubber , BHT/BHA , petroleum products , Propylene Glycol, de-icing fluid for airplanes, are better for the health of the birdie?

If you do not mind, I have an aversion to 'experts' who think because they are 'expert', a layman like me should kowtow to them and take whatever they chose to say as truth enshrined in stone.

If so, Tinkerbell the flying grey of Taiwan and Riamfada in Oman would never have existed.

Do those 'experts' also say cats are afraid of water? Grin

Or should I trot out more photos of Dommie coming into the ocean and tidepools at my cue?

4951979341_c3f9fb663c_z.jpg

4977413420_e697618eec_z.jpg

I do not think the body will distinguish alcohol from wine or beer at 8% as against the alcohol in fermenting fruits.

If alcohol is truly that deadly, no parrots in the wild should remain alive as they all love fermented fruits that you accept is acceptable.

Or those 'experts' rather conveniently ignore all that to write the way they chose to write. Or get tarred and feathered if they write otherwise.

You know I have flighted bird. But have you ever seen me here , in my blog, or anywhere else with unkind words for people with clipped birds?

I think it is better to remain student and not be an expert the way all 'experts' be. Their learning process stopped long time ago and my own learning just started.

By the way, I must add I am not advocating to people to give beer or wine or fermented fruits to their parrots.

Best is not to give them any of those stuff on daily or even weekly basis.

I just cannot accept the harm of an occasional sip about twice a year will make them keel over when they go gaga over fermented fruits at all times.

Go walk your path in peace.

From

Mentality of parrot // Soya beans// Feather Plucking //Alcohol

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/118404.html

Edited by shanlung

Shanlung, Having had Cockatiels and a Ringneck Parakeet, I'm amazed at what Sam, my CAG will eat and drink. He always gets his seed food as well as citrus fruit and raw veggies in the morning. He loves sliced, crisp apples, but when he sees me in the kitchen cooking up a cheese omlet in the morning, he goes into his yummy sound.. "Hummmmmm." and if I ignore him, he angrily rings his bell. So, he always gets a taste of what the family is having for dinner. He also likes Pizza. As for a little beer and wine, I'm with you, a little in moderation does no harm! It's not like I give him his own pint of Guinness! He just likes to get a few sips of whatever I'm drinking.

By the way, those are some very nice pictures of your Cag and the Beach... very nice!

As for a little beer and wine, I'm with you, a little in moderation does no harm! It's not like I give him his own pint of Guinness! He just likes to get a few sips of whatever I'm drinking.

:-)

I wrote for all folks who might like to give a rare rare occasional sip of their beer (or stout), or coffee, or cola to their birdie and who might be intimitated

by well meaning folks on a politically correct course.

Happiness is life. Not a morally or politically correct course that only promise you a better future life instead of having a good life now.

Shanlung, your post wasn't erased because of what you said, but because of the way you said it.

First thing I looked up when I found this site was Health and Nutrition, specifically, home hazards: http://www.greyforums.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165&catid=2&Itemid=5

It says: " Do not feed your bird anything that you're not 100% sure about. Remeber NO Avocado, Rubarb, Chocolate, Alcohol or caffeine!"

So I'm 100% sure that I don't know what can be in,whatever kind of alcohol someone is giving to their beloved companion bird, and I do rather want to be safe then sorry, so I'm saying DON'T! I think it is also obvious why Coca -cola or sweetened tea wouldn't be such a brilliant choice.. But that is my conviction that I'm sharing in hope no one will make a mistake of thinking he knows (instead of actually knowing) what is he/she doing. At one point, one may know what he can safely offer to one's bird, but that kind of "moderation" of which we spoke yesterday comes with knowledge and experience. I'm not there yet and I don't pretend to be so it is crucial to stress out (for others that recognize themselves in my words) what are the basics for safe life of our feathered friends.

I think parrots and other animals love over-ripe and fermenting fruits but IMO, the point is exactly that: that is not the same as mans produce of alcohol. My father produces wine (for himself) and I can tell you, there is more in that wine than just grapes..and probably much more than a bit more things in Coca-cola. I wouldn't never offer either to my bird.

Of course I don't think one sip of wine will kill the bird but I don't think it is wise to open this path to newbies (including myself). There are so many new members like myself, on this forum that are looking for strait answers. Someone might think (to early) or feel false confidence that some more objects from the "NO list " might be pretty safe...of course in moderation. So one might conclude that in comparison to alcohol it is probably safe to offer e.g. bit of avocado or a apple pit. Probably incy wincy bit of both wouldn't kill the bird. But cyanide in moderation wouldn't be our firs choice, now would it? And how much is incy wincy, to start with? And just to mention it, I don't know how many kids are reading this and how will they perceive our choices and act accordingly.

(I am exaggerating "a bit" this part with cyanide, please don't panic ;-) )

However, I do want to apologize to all members for my kind of "telling you" tone which I tend to use when I have a strong opinion about something. I would hate if someone else would think that my intention was to offend them. My words are to form my opinion and they should be treated as such, nothing more. I don't look down on people, I don't think I have vast knowledge and I certainly don't think my way is the best. My goal is to provide the best care and life possible for my and any other bird so I'll continue going in that direction.

When I use "DON'T this or that" I want to stress out something what I think is important and meant unambiguously. If I'm wrong someone is going to correct me, which is crucial for acquiring safe kind of knowledge. As a newbie I, and probably some of the other members/newbies, like when things are said in that way so I/we exactly know what to do with that specific information.

However I just realized how my "telling you" tone can be mistaken so I'll try, in the future, to express myself more appropriate. If I fail to do so, please alert me. Thank you.

PS: my birds favorite drink, but given very rarely, is strawberry juice

Edited by Morana
  • Haha 1

First thing I looked up when I found this site was Health and Nutrition, specifically, home hazards: http://www.greyforums.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=165&catid=2&Itemid=5

It says: " Do not feed your bird anything that you're not 100% sure about. Remeber NO Avocado, Rubarb, Chocolate, Alcohol or caffeine!"

So I'm 100% sure that I don't know what can be in,whatever kind of alcohol someone is giving to their beloved companion bird, and I do rather want to be safe then sorry, so I'm saying DON'T! I think it is also obvious why Coca -cola or sweetened tea wouldn't be such a brilliant choice..

Shortly after I started with Tinkerbell my grey of Taiwan, I thought I knew everything of parrot and greys from magazines and books and Internet forums happily feeding her pellets and trying to 'educate' others to do likewise in sincere righteousness. That avocado poisonous and broad beans will kill the poor birdie together with lima beans and such stuff

Then later on, as I climbed higher, to my horror, the horizon receded even further, and further. The more I learned, the more I realised I do not know.

As for avocado, I do not know. I have lots of private correspondence with people all over the world. One of the top breeder wrote to me. And wild horses will not drag his name from me. He told me he feed his greys avocado, and he felt the tremendous breeding success he had with his greys and Zons was because of avocado (and lots of other food, he love Mike Manna Mash, from which Tink mash was based from) . He told me he never would dare to write in forum of avocado as he would be tarred and feathered so severely.

My birdie lived in free flight at home, coming and going to me , to my drinks , to everywhere. Whatever I drink she wanted to drink. That go the same for many folks who allowed their birdies to be flighted and out of cage like me.

I do not think we drown our birdie in coffee, cola or beer , stout and wine.

Those by the way are bad for humans as well. One have the choice to live a life of monk or nun drinking water and eating only bread. Not much of a life, at least not a life I chose for myself. If I chose, I will be a Taoist monk who can eat, drink and make love, all if done in moderation.

Talking about additives in wine and beer. The additives in commercial pellets are a lot more horrendous and in case of folks in general, fed to birdies on a daily basis. Unlike the wine/beer that my birdie had about 4 times over 2 years, and just a sip or two each time. How much additives could be in that 8 sips of wine/beer over a 2 year period?

I gave her coffee after she pestered me. She declined coffee after once taking it. But she loved my orange/lemon juice which I shared with her, or rather I drank her leftovers in my cup.

As for the poisonous broad beans, try to find the time to read

Praise of procrastination and lima/navy beans

That was my journey in finding out good and bad about beans. At the end I was no wiser and you be no wiser either after reading that journey. But I was floored by the declaration the first breeding of Hyacinth Macaw was credited to feeding them broad beans which I was told to be poisonous.

Truth and facts are strange commodities. Much of that came from the shouting and repeating.

Until it became fact and truth when the opposite might be more the case.

Like the hoary declarations of height dominance , if you love your birdie their wings must be clipped , you must be Alpha over them or they become uppity , or even 2 to 3 years hormonal changes that make birdie want to bite you (read Understanding the mentality of your grey )

As said, I decided I rather be the student than the expert. There are enough people who want to be 'experts' .

I rather be the student that can ask questions especially on truth and facts than to answer questions especially as I am no longer certain of anything and everything

If the Emporer truly wear beautiful cloths, I want to see that with my eyes and not rely on what the experts telling me what to see and that I should see that because they are experts.

Uhhh, perhaps here we go again, but I'd never offer my birds strawberries or strawberry juice, even in moderation, UNLESSSSSSSSSSSS it is strawberries from my own yard that I KNOW have zero chemicals.

Apparently, at least here in the USA, strawberries are the most or the second-most pesticide-laden produce and I'd therefore never offer it. (Different sources state different items as #1 and #2 as the most heavily-sprayed produce item.)

From this website: http://www.birdscomefirst.org/feeding.php

<<<<<< STRAWBERRY growers use large amounts of pesticides. They are particularly sprayed heavily with fungicides. The FDA detected thirty different pesticides on strawberries, second only to apples with thirty-six different types of pesticides.

Based on samples taken over a two year period, strawberries were found to contain captan, benomyl, vinclozolin, iprodione, and endosulfan, pesticides that are not only carcinogenic in humans, but also disrupt the endocrine system as well. Organically grown strawberries are the only type of strawberries that I feed to my parrots. I know I'll take some heat for this but NEVER feed your parrots regular "store bought" strawberries. >>>>>>

Just my $0.02.

From this website: http://www.birdscomefirst.org/feeding.php

Just my $0.02.

I went to that website as your extract was so fascinating that my puerile curiosity became fired up.

I would not really dispute with the advise there to feed organic grown stuff etc etc until I came to the part where that site advocate commercial pellets be given to your birdie' date=' recommending Roudybush pellets and Harrison.

Long time ago (which prompted my total switch over into mash) I came to this site

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/community/showthread.php/19865-Additives-in-Pellets which listed what company uses what so their pellets can have long shelf life.

Roudybush used ethoxiquin and Harrison used salt

[i']

Ethoxyquin: Is listed and identified as a harsh hazardous chemical by OSHA. It was originally used to preserve rubber. This is not allowed in human food and some feel it is not a chemical that they want in their bird food. The FDA has asked manufacturers for voluntary reduction in its use in pet foods and is in the process of deciding whether or not to ban the use of it altogether. Bird’s bodies can not get rid of it like a dog or cat and it then builds up and causes problems. Ethoxyquin promotes kidney carcinogenesis, significantly increases the incidence of stomach tumors, enhanced bladder carcinogenesis and urinary bladder carcinogenesis. Cancers of this type are the most lethal and fastest acting, the swiftest effects being seen among animals.[/i]

Salt: Added as a preservative, salt can irritate the stomach lining, cause increased thirst and aggravate heart and kidney problems through fluid retention.

Then when I went in further, to read that you must be demure and not scream when your birdie chomp on your flesh and grind their beak onto your bone. I think that is such a fallacy. I believe parrots are empaths. Your grinning through the agony of being bitten and pretending you are ok while you shoot off a blaze of mental agony is hypocritical and totally misleading to that poor parrot who will then think it all to be a game to repeat and repeat again and again.

And a way to train unruly bird is to cut (ok ok that site said trim) their wings first.

The point I want to make is that readers should never ever take everything as true because others say it.

Do not ever take everything I said to be true either as I can be very wrong as well.

Get all you can on any subject and topic. Think, think and think again.

Then decide on the path that you want to walk as that well being, both physical and mental, of that birdie is in your hand and your hand alone. And on what you decide.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to that website as your extract was so fascinating that my puerile curiosity became fired up.

I would not really dispute with the advise there to feed organic grown stuff etc etc until I came to the part where that site advocate commercial pellets be given to your birdie, recommending Roudybush pellets and Harrison.

Long time ago (which prompted my total switch over into mash) I came to this site

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/community/showthread.php/19865-Additives-in-Pellets which listed what company uses what so their pellets can have long shelf life.

Roudybush used ethoxiquin and Harrison used salt

Ethoxyquin: Is listed and identified as a harsh hazardous chemical by OSHA. It was originally used to preserve rubber. This is not allowed in human food and some feel it is not a chemical that they want in their bird food. The FDA has asked manufacturers for voluntary reduction in its use in pet foods and is in the process of deciding whether or not to ban the use of it altogether. Bird’s bodies can not get rid of it like a dog or cat and it then builds up and causes problems. Ethoxyquin promotes kidney carcinogenesis, significantly increases the incidence of stomach tumors, enhanced bladder carcinogenesis and urinary bladder carcinogenesis. Cancers of this type are the most lethal and fastest acting, the swiftest effects being seen among animals.

Salt: Added as a preservative, salt can irritate the stomach lining, cause increased thirst and aggravate heart and kidney problems through fluid retention.

Then when I went in further, to read that you must be demure and not scream when your birdie chomp on your flesh and grind their beak onto your bone. I think that is such a fallacy. I believe parrots are empaths. Your grinning through the agony of being bitten and pretending you are ok while you shoot off a blaze of mental agony is hypocritical and totally misleading to that poor parrot who will then think it all to be a game to repeat and repeat again and again.

And a way to train unruly bird is to cut (ok ok that site said trim) their wings first.

The point I want to make is that readers should never ever take everything as true because others say it.

Do not ever take everything I said to be true either as I can be very wrong as well.

Get all you can on any subject and topic. Think, think and think again.

Then decide on the path that you want to walk as that well being, both physical and mental, of that birdie is in your hand and your hand alone. And on what you decide.

shanlung,

I was only referencing the STRAWBERRIES ARE SPRAYED WITH EVERYTHING TOXIC KNOWN TO MAN part of that site. I was certainly not endorsing the entire site, and all that is contained therein. Not at all. :-) Just wanted to let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I am new to this site and a new parront, we rehomed our little guy Rorschach in August and I have to say he is the baby who rules our home. Rorschach pretty much wants to have whatever I have, I am with Shanlung that it may not be life or death to have something in moderation. Rorschach has never had coffee or alcohol but has had a sip of my tea once, which he loved and I had to put a stop to it.

I have been doing nothing but reading and researching since we adopted Rorschach and I have come to see that there are some contradictions in what is safe for our feathered family members. The diet I have Rorschach on is daily helpings of fresh veggies and fruit, pellets and seed. I have read that seed is very fatty for our birds but the way I figure it is if he has a balance of all he will be fine. I do avoid foods that I am not sure or I have read to be "No-NO's" which brings me to the question of mushrooms. I have read somewhere that mushrooms are not good for your bird, but I have also read that cheese and dairy is bad too but later learned that it may be ok to offer your bird a small amount once in a while (not every day) for calcium, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows for sure if mushrooms are dangerous... reason why I ask is I love mushrooms and add them in a lot of my own food, I am afraid to share with Rorschach which means I have to cage him if I am eating anything he is not allowed to have.

I don't like to cage him much while we are home, like I have previously said, Rorschach rules our home and flies around wherever and whenever. I don't agree with clipping feathers mainly because it isn't natural. If he cannot live in the wild freely because I am selfish and wanted a pet bird then I will do whatever I can to make him happy. (Me saying this does not mean I am judging others for clipping, I just don't want to clip mine)

• 3 months later...

Apple juice. It's like liquid crack to my fid. She will climb, fly and bite her way to my hubby's glass for a sip. And then another, and another....

She only gets one or two sips and she's hyper for an hour or so. Good thing I only buy it once a month or so.