NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

sprouting

Karcar

I have gone all out and bought a fancy sprouting tower, jars with screen lids ,all of the additives, 10 pounds of different things to sprout and have been rinsing and rinsing and checking and finally got a bag full of sprouts for the birds to eat. NOW!! not a single bird will touch them :(

I haven't given up yet, anyone had any luck with sprouts?

Karen

As a side note, some veggies are bitter, try one kind at a time. Try what I call a short sprout, do the same thing your doing for 10-12 hr's, just till the tail appears, this is when there at there most nutritious. Just a suggestion. Try seeds to, sunflower seed turn into a super food...Thanks...Jayd

Another trick is to offer the sprouts with a "known food." Chop up something else your bird likes and throw in a little of the known food with the sprouts. Then the bird will have to push around to get to the food it knows, and may end up trying the sprouts. Also, taste each sprout. You'd be surprised how shocking some of them taste! Now, of course, what tastes disgusting to me might taste great to my birds, and vice versa. Also, just because something tastes fairly mild as a veg doesn't mean it will taste mild as a sprout. (Broccoli tastes pretty mild and sweet. Broc sprouts, however, taste like fiery peppery radishy nastiness! Oops, I mean, they taste so yummy! My AG is on my shoulder and I don't want her to see what I really think of those broc sprouts!)

Keep at it. They'll likely be eating sprouts in no time. And if not, hey, they are super-nutritious for humans, too, yanno!

• 3 weeks later...

i have been looking about the forums & seen the sprouting threads so i thought i would give it a go , all i done was soak the mix , wash it thouroughly, then pop it in a container & pop it in the cupboard, wash the next day & so on for 3 days and hey presto !! sprouted !!!

SL271616.jpg

milo loves them !

They do not need to develop tails, just when they begin to split open they are ready. I rinse as often as possible when sprouting to add oxygen and keep moist and fresh.

Greywings speaks the truth, 8 to 12 hours is best and most nutritious, some sprouts get more bitter the longer this tail, lots of rinsing is a must, you should rinse with organic apple cider vinegar, some people use "GSF" [GRAPE FOOD SEED EXTRACT] Thanks Jay d

Hi Venom, What kind of beans you sprouted that are in the bowl? and were did you picked them up from if you do not mind me asking? Thanks...

well to be honest it was a seed mix i got off the breeder, i dont use seed for milo as i weaned her on to pellets , so no idea tbh :)

Hey all, I've been sprouting for my birds for a few years now on an every day basis. Sprouts make up the majority of their daily food, along with a varied mix of veggies, fruits and a cooked grain mix. I've gone through a lot of trials with sprouting and this is what I find works best:

I buy in bulk and make my own sprout mix that generally all sprouts within 1-2 days.

My mix includes:

- lentils - good for protein, my birds love to peel the casing off the sprouted seed

- quinoa - bland, but this has a complete amino acid profile and good protein

- mustard seed - quite spicy and flavorful

- alfalfa - relatively bland, but loaded with nutrition & natural anti-oxidants

- fenugreek - super flavorful, my birds love this, helps aid digestion & boosts immune system

- wheat berries - very sweet and flavorful

My birds wouldn't touch the sprouts at first, they thought the tails were evil! :P But I just kept offering them and even ate some myself to show them that the sprouts were good to eat, and they got over their fear pretty quickly. Plus, I always offer the sprouts first so that the birds aren't distracted by their "tastier" food. I think most birds figure out pretty quickly that the sprouts are really just softer, juicier versions of seed. One thing my birds love above all other foods - sprouted almonds. These are just regular raw almonds that I wash and soak overnight. In the morning they are soft and plump and my birds will literally dive bomb me to get to them. Soak for 12 hours and that is it - you don't need a tail. For greys they are great because they have the sprouted nutrition plus extra calcium!

If you look on line there are several sprouting suppliers I use SproutPeople.com they have a small kids kit that works perfectly for my flock and a variety of very fresh seeds and legumes ect. some mixes just for birds. There are many others available so look around the net and your favorite whole foods type store as well.

Edited by Greywings

Km Kim you only have to cook the beans not the seeds, you are converting them to a more digestible format. do not feed Soy beans or Lima beans at all- NOTE: Many people have fed all of the beans in their sprouted form without problem. However, large raw beans such as Anasazi, Black, Fava, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto, and Soy can cause problems of toxicity and digestive upsets for people and perhaps for birds. Except for soy sprouts (edible raw if grown long enough), these beans should be cooked to be digestible and are not recommended for general sprouting purposes. Soy sprouts, however, are high in isoflavones, SOD (superoxide dismutase), a very powerful and important antioxidant with essential fatty acids and lecithin.