NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hand Feeding Correspondence

Dave007

From now on, any specific instructions concerning hand feeding unweaned babies , formula ingredients, amounts and/or methods to use, amounts of time that passes until weaning is actually reached and or completed, should only be done person to person by Email or Personal Message . This is to deter other novice or potential bird buyers from thinking that buying unweaned chicks is a nice idea because they think that from what they read and/or seen, the period of hand feeding formula up until weaning is easy or attractive after reading public information from many people who may give many opinions or variations which does happen on public forums.

This also has to do with the fact that all unweaned birds are different sizes, different ages, have specific needs and instructions which should be personalized between the person who gives instructions and the owners of unweaned chicks concerning information or specific problems that may arise. Any specific information concerning the hand feeding or hand feeding problems arising with an unweaned chick should be provided by either the information provider or the information receiver by private correspondence . More than likely, better and more accurate information will be shared.

The reason for this change is because people will receive one set of directions only which will benefit the health and welfare of an unweaned chick.

Concerning this subject of unweaned birds, there's too many cooks in the kitchen.

Edited by Dave007

• 1 month later...

WTH? I have asked the same question probably 3 different times in 3 different places with ZERO response from anyone except to carry on and on and on about how they're NOT going to carry on and on and on about having my CAG too young. My questions, STILL have not been answered and I've waited ohhhh about 3 days now. I'm really very sorry to be so "forthcoming" but, you guys are just entirely to wishy washy, you tell me to talk to Jay and then Jay says he's sorry but he can't take any responsibility of mentoring members? I'm sorry, but I'm not some teenager off the street who's decided on a whim to get a bird, this has been my life long dream, I am a grandmother now, have lots of time to spend, was looking forward to some input and conversations as to what others have or are experiencing with their babies, whats normal, whats not, etc... Please accept my sincerest apologies, as I do some other research on these awesome creatures to get my questions answered without being subject to egotistical attitudes and "feel sorry for myself" type comments because their not getting the "ego's" stroked enough. Please folks, I see some major issues within this forum that is a simple fix. NONE of you are better than any of the others, there are plenty of strategies on hand rearing and all birds are different, some work better for others while others work better for some.

LisaMarie,

Please accept my apologies for something that is seemingly going on here. I am not sure what it is, but people are people. Please know that I certainly hope all goes well with your precious new baby Grey and appreciate the fact that you have come here and privileged us with the honor of trying to help you with anything we can. If no one else is stepping up to help you I will. Just PM me if you don't wish to ask questions publicly.

I wonder if this topic should be locked. I believe some less supportive comments have been removed, and continuing this on probably isn't in the best interest of people and the forum.

Dave has come up with a suggestion, which people appear to agree with. Perhaps the moderators amongst themselves can figure out the best person to deal with this topic/issue, and someone can then make an official stickie post on who to approach?

I'm sorry you feel this way, some of the most knowledgeable people are members of this Forum, Dave, Dan, Janet/luvparrots and JudyGram are always there for every one. My choice to leave has nothing to do with "Ego", and all to do with every one being able to get along and agree with at least 90% of what should be done...Stepping aside for this reason is not ego, but true caring...Sorry you feel I,m wishy-washy, but thats me. With that said, "All the Grey't people of this forum are here to help you, but remember, they also have a life outside of the forum...Jayd

Dan, if you wish, I second that you lock this thread...

The fact is we wouldn't have this problem if people would just let breeders finish the handfeeding process and wean their babies before selling them to the public, this is the fault of both breeders and people who think that the process will make their babies bond better with them which is simply not true.

Jay, I felt that you enjoyed giving your advice on handfeeding since you know so much about it and only someone who has done it and knows what they are doing should give such advice which rules me out for I have never handfed a bird before, I am smart enough to know I should leave that to the breeder and if a breeder wanted me to finish out the weaning myself so he/she could make a buck I would find myself another breeder for it is ultimitely their fault that this practice is so widely used.

Thank you Judy so much, I do love trying to give solid advice, I take each one to heart, I'm doing 5 PM's/email baby's right now. I really feel most advice given, especially about hand feeding must have some what of a standard from all of us, that's all I meant. Thank you Jayd This forum means so much to me, all of you do...

• 6 months later...
Thank you Judy so much, I do love trying to give solid advice, I take each one to heart, I'm doing 5 PM's/email baby's right now. I really feel most advice given, especially about hand feeding must have some what of a standard from all of us, that's all I meant. Thank you Jayd This forum means so much to me, all of you do...

I could use some of your knowledge please! I picked up Kenya my first baby CAG yesterday and the breeder told me she was almost 8 weeks old. I have some handfeeding experience with my Sun Conure Samba, I got her at 8 weeks from the same breeder and fed her and weaned her. My problem is that looking at the development pics of other babies I think she is younger than he said, maybe 6 weeks or so. I am giving her 30ml 3x a day, if she is younger than he said should I add another feeding in or should 3 be ok? I don't want her to starve!

I could use some of your knowledge please! I picked up Kenya my first baby CAG yesterday and the breeder told me she was almost 8 weeks old. I have some handfeeding experience with my Sun Conure Samba, I got her at 8 weeks from the same breeder and fed her and weaned her. My problem is that looking at the development pics of other babies I think she is younger than he said, maybe 6 weeks or so. I am giving her 30ml 3x a day, if she is younger than he said should I add another feeding in or should 3 be ok? I don't want her to starve!

Why don't you start a new thread in the nursery room but in the meantime read this thread as it may help you a lot.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?73409-Handfeeding-a-Baby-Grey.

• 2 years later...

Hi there everyone. I got my 4 week old baby grey by rescuing him from a pet shop. I had no intention of getting a bird at such a young age but here I am. I am now doing my best to ensure Charlies survival. He is doing great taking his feeds well and I can acctually see changes in him daily. Charlie has developed so fast in the week that I have had the privilage to have him. There is noticable change in his size, as well as the growth of the feathers on his wings. He is also getting his little stubby red tail feathers that are now just visible. I have been feeding Charlie as his crop empties and not by time frame exactly. I have therefore been up at all strange hours to administer his feeds. I have based the feed texture & strength on the valuable advise given to me by the forum. I have still got a long way to go but feel that Charlie and I have gotten off to a very good start & believe we will continue to do so with all your support and valuable knowledge. Thank you everyone

Hi there everyone. I got my 4 week old baby grey by rescuing him from a pet shop. I had no intention of getting a bird at such a young age but here I am. I am now doing my best to ensure Charlies survival. He is doing great taking his feeds well and I can acctually see changes in him daily. Charlie has developed so fast in the week that I have had the privilage to have him. There is noticable change in his size, as well as the growth of the feathers on his wings. He is also getting his little stubby red tail feathers that are now just visible. I have been feeding Charlie as his crop empties and not by time frame exactly. I have therefore been up at all strange hours to administer his feeds. I have based the feed texture & strength on the valuable advise given to me by the forum. I have still got a long way to go but feel that Charlie and I have gotten off to a very good start & believe we will continue to do so with all your support and valuable knowledge. Thank you everyone

Handfeeding a Baby Grey.

2008/04/16 15:07 Hand feeding a baby bird takes a great deal of time and effort.Something that shouldn't be considered by a novice.If possible it is best left to an experienced breeder.Don't be fooled by the pet store or breeder who tells you otherwise.Many sellers convince novice buyers to take an unweaned bird.The sooner a parrot chick is gone, the higher the profit ratio for the store or breeder. So it is in the interest of the seller to convince the buyer that hand feeding is safe and easy.

With that said it is inevitable that some members will find themselves with a young unweaned baby.This thread will offer advice & guidance to help you successfully finish the hand feeding process.

Formulas, Feeding Utensils, and Methods.

With the recent advances in avian nutrition there are a number of commercially prepared handfeeding formulas, I.e...Kaytee Exact,Roudybush to name but a few.Formula must be served very warm (about 105 to 108 degrees). A human basil digital thermometer can be used to test the formula. Once you become familiar with the correct feeding temperature of formula, you can test it on the inside of your wrist before feeding.This chart is for guidelines only & each baby will vary slightly..

Mixing Formula..

Mixing your formula using Kaytee Exact is an easy process. It is designed to be mixed on a 1:2 ratio of formula to water. When measuring formula, use these guidelines:

( 1 tablespoon = ½ ounce = 15cc )

Mixing On A 1: 2 Ratio

FORMULA WATER

1 tablespoon 1 ounce (30cc)

2 tablespoon 2 ounce (60cc)

Preparing Your Formula..

1. Add the correct amount of water to your measuring cup

2. Heat the water in your microwave until its very warm

3. Add measured amount of formula and stir

4. Feed at correct temperature (105 to 108 degrees)

Amount To Feed At Each Feeding

AMOUNT AGE OF BABY

20cc - 30cc 3-5 weeks

30cc - 45cc 5-9 weeks

45cc - 60cc 9-16 weeks

The formula should have a consistency similar to thin catsup. Do not feed a formula that is too thick. Water is important for proper hydration of your baby. Babies will actually grow better on a thinner formula than one that is too thick. If you have a gram scale, you can see the exact consistency that you should be mixing the formula. Weigh out 7 grams of formula to be mixed with each ounce of water when mixing on a 1:2 ratio.

The initial temperature of the water used to prepare the formula will have an effect on the consistency of the finished product so its important to measure your formula and water so you don't feed a formula too thin or too thick.

Feeding Methods.

The two most common methods of feeding are either by syringe or spoon, Personally I recommend spoon feeding as this closely resembles the action of the parents beak.you can spoon feed by taking a small metal spoon & bending the sides in to foram a V shape.Gently place the tip of the spoon in to the chicks mouth & tip the spoon up slightly.The chick will pump the spoon & swallow the formula.Techniques for Handfeeding your Baby....

1. Feed the formula mixture using your spoon or syringe by dispensing the food along with the baby's feeding response (rhythmic bobbing motion).

2. Be sure to give the baby a chance to breath between bites of food. Do not try and feed too quickly.

3. Continue to feed until the baby's crop is nicely rounded or on weaning babies, until it refuses more food.

4. Do not overfeed, as this may result in regurgitation and possibly aspiration, which could cause death.

5. Clean any spilled food off your baby.

6. Clean and disinfectant all feeding equipment.

7. Discard any unused formula. Always mix up fresh formula for each feeding. Do not store mixed formula in refrigerator.

Feeding Schedule

Age In Weeks Number of Feedings Hours Between Time Frame

0 - 2 10 2 6:00am - 12:00am

2 - 3 6 3 7:00am - 11:00pm

3 - 4 5 4 7:00am - 10:30pm

4 - 5 4 5 7:00am - 10:30pm

5 - 10 3 7 8:00am - 10:00pm

10 - 13 2 12 9:00am & 9:00pm

13 - 16 1 24 9:00pm - 11:00pm

Use the above schedule as a guideline for feeding your baby. Babies grow at different rates and should be treated individually. Some babies do better remaining on 2 feedings per day until completely weaned. Be sure your baby's crop empties completely at least once during each 24 hour period.

After your baby reaches 7/ 8 weeks of age and has made the transition from brooder to cage, it is time to begin introducing weaning food.Pellet food is a safe food to start weaning your baby onto with the addition of seed,fruit, veggies.Also have a separate water dish next to his food.Check your baby's crop before the night time feeding to monitor how much if any of the warm, moistened pellets your baby is eating. Do not leave moistened pellets or vegetables in baby's cage more than 4 hours to prevent spoilage.

At 13 weeks of age, your baby should be placed on one feeding per day which is given at 9:00pm - 11:00pm. By this time, your baby should have begun eating either dry pellets or the warm, moistened pellets. If your baby is not eating either moistened pellets or dry pellets at this time, then leave your baby on 2 feedings per day. Some babies can take longer to learn eating skills.

Once your baby has been placed on one feeding per day, begin giving warm, moistened pellets in the morning around 8:00am as well as the afternoon at 5:00pm. Dry pellets and water should always be available as well. Check your baby's crop at night before the night time feeding . If it is very full with pellets that baby has eaten, then you can skip the night time feeding. If you are not sure, then offer the formula but don't force the baby to eat if the baby refuses.Your baby can lose up to 15% of its weight during the weaning stage. Once baby is weaned, its important to continue monitoring how much it actually eats by feeling its crop and watching its weight.

Remember that weaning time is a very stressful event in your baby's life. Never try and force your baby to wean by withholding formula.

The above information is to be used a guidline & each baby will vary slightly in it's development.

• 2 years later...

So we just adopted an african grey and have a very unique situation. The baby came to us younger than expected and isnt weaned yet. We actually live in Congo and are not able to purchase the hand-feeding formula. Does anyone have a recipe or know of someplace to find one so that I can make our own to use? We are guessing that our little one is about 10 weeks but don know exactly. Ive been hand feeding him soft foods like scrambled eggs and bananas. He is able to eat shelled peanuts on his own. All help is appreciated - critisism is not.

In the wild babies eat what adults eat, literally. The parents regurgitate food for their young. Short term, read thru the food forum here & read any mash threads. Grind down fine & feed warm but not hot enough to burn the crop, which is very important. Watch baby's weight.

You should get in touch w/a vet asap. Especially given where you are, the chances are that's a wild baby. (S)he should be checked by a pro because bird diseases are super hard to diagnose even w/blood panels & know how.

If nothing else, if they are actually the breeder the person where you got Baby is totally discredited for releasing an un-weaned chick to you unprepared like this. That increases the risks here & makes it even more important to talk w/a vet or other reputable breeder as soon as you can.

This is a list of safe & toxic foods (among other things) that you should know before you get started. Food is way down at the bottom.

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.com/non-toxic-for-birds.html

Also, you can PM Dave007 who is a knowledgeable breeder here in the US. Make it **very** clear where you are & why you're looking for his help.

Edited by birdhouse