NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Favorite Grey Books

Talon

I thought it would be nice to have a place to come and see the different books that other members have read, and enjoy, regarding their African Grey. Please post any books that you recommend to others regarding feeding, training, care, etc.

I highly recommend:

For the Love of Greys, by Bobbi Brinker (this is the most informative book I have read.)

6c82_1_b.JPG

The Beak Book , by Sally Blanchard

beakbook.jpg

{Nature-00020095}

Talon, excuse me for busting in your thread but I think this should be a sticky. Most new Grey Owners don't know about these books and they need to..<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/07/28 10:51

beakbook.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly recommend that same book, "For the Love of Greys" by Bobbi Brinker, another one I have and love is "The African Grey Parrot Handbook" by Mattie Sue Athan and Dianalee Deter.

7689.jpg

The latter is reasonably priced but the first one runs over $20 unless you can find a sale on it.

Thanks Talon for thinking of this, I seem to be having a senior moment that is lasting a few days now.:S

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/07/25 06:25<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/07/25 06:26

Of Course.. Irene Pepperburg.. "The Alex Studies" This is one tough book to read but worth the torture.. It's very scientific but if you want to know everything about the best trained AG on the planet this is a must read.. It outlines everything she did to teach Alex and documents what it all means.

I got my on Ebay for a fraction of the cover price.. If you own an African Grey this book belongs on your coffee table.. B)

36_8.JPG

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/07/25 06:11<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/07/25 06:12

I Bought my first book on grey's :woohoo: Couldn't get any out of the library because all the books on parrots had been checked out and never brought back:angry: , They only had books on pigeons and finches, Anyway bought 2 books 2day, and to be honest they are the only two i could find in the shops.. Gona order some online later,, Keeping the books you guys recommended in mind.....;)

This is a very informative book that has a variety of topics, such as care, feeding, socializing, behavior issues, breeding, the care of babies, etc. The author is Fran Gonzalez

africangreys.gif

Post edited by: Talon, at: 2007/07/31 04:03<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2007/07/31 05:20

• 2 months later...

Well, I wanted to be really prepared b4 we brought Romo home, so I bought a bunch of books. I got:

The Essential African Grey by Howell Book House, and Pamela Leis Higdon

The African Grey Parrot Handbook by Mattie Sue Athan & Dianalee Deter

Barron's Guide to Companion Parrot Behavior by Mattie Sue Athan

Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot by Mattie Sue Athan

and

Barron's African Grey Parrots - A Complete Pet Owner's Manual

My favorites are the books by Mattie Sue Athan, I keep referring to them and reading some sections over and over as I work and play with Romo!

• 1 month later...
Guest briansmum

i have the alex studies book and have been getting round to it (it's in my "to read" pile), but since his death i can't bring myself to read it, i think it would upset me knowing he is no longer with us :(

• 1 month later...

I have to second CeasarsDad's recommendation. The Pepperberg book can really enlighten you as to how far reaching the intelligence of our Greys extends. The book details some impressive examples of cognition, reasoning, and abstract concepts, such as "zero". It also gives you insight into her modified model/rival approach to training Alex, should you desire to go this route with your own bird.

I have to think that when our birds can accurately communicate their desires to us, it makes life easier all around. Of course, as was already said, it's not an easy read. Also, Alex was Irine's pupil for the last 30 years. So, it'll take quite a commitment to get to Alex's level.

Well, I wanted to be really prepared b4 we brought Romo home, so I bought a bunch of books. I got:

The Essential African Grey by Howell Book House, and Pamela Leis Higdon

The African Grey Parrot Handbook by Mattie Sue Athan & Dianalee Deter

Barron's Guide to Companion Parrot Behavior by Mattie Sue Athan

Guide to a Well-Behaved Parrot by Mattie Sue Athan

and

Barron's African Grey Parrots - A Complete Pet Owner's Manual

My favorites are the books by Mattie Sue Athan, I keep referring to them and reading some sections over and over as I work and play with Romo!

---------

Deb & Romo in N TX

I have a Romo also.. and a Cowboy!!!! B)

I agree with previous posters that Mattie Sue Athan, Sally Blanchard, Bobbi Brinker ( http://www.parrottalk.com/ ) and Maggie Wright ( http://www.africangreys.com/ ) are excellent authors. I also agree with Ceasarsdad that Irene Pepperburg's "The Alex Studies" is very interesting but not an easy read :blink: Here's a list of bird related books that I put together some time ago that might be of interest.

http://www.infosuperflyway.com/articles/justbooks.php

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give my two cents worth as well. I love the books mentioned in the very first post. "For the Love of Greys" was so wonderful because I totally agree with her idea of how to treat your grey with respect. "The Alex Studies" IS hard to get through but worth it. The work that was done with Alex is such an inspiration to us all. We know how smart our birds are but here is someone who was trying to scientifically prove that to all the non-bird people out there. I have a few books to recommend but they are all at home and I'm at work. I'll have to get the info about them and post back later.

All the previous recommendations are fabulous!! Another book that I think any new parrot owner or Grey owner should have is the Dummies guide to Owning a Parrot. We all know the Dummy guides! The author is a Grey owner, so there are some tidbits on Greys. But, the suggestions are wonderful. She goes over Bronco birds (great for resuce senarios) and the nutrition info is awesome. She goes over what veggies and fruits are high in pesticides, ect and what are better alternatives. I highly recommend it!

• 3 weeks later...