NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Don't Wanna Bath

judygram

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My Grey is about 6 months now and I tried the slow intro to the shower but he wants no part of it. He LOVES to sit on the shower rod when I'm taking a shower...he laughs at me when I'm in there, nice bird huh...but the second I get the ricochet mist to hit him he gets freaked out and flys off. I've tried taking him out in the rain as well but as soon as he realizes that there is water falling from the sky he takes off and crash-lands on the porch (his wings are clipped). This is so different from the experiance I had with the Sun Conure I had before...that bird would scream and scream if he knew I was outside washing the car and he wasn't out there with me...I couldn't get that bird away from the hose to save my life!!!:laugh:

Silver had his first bath 6 months after I got him (I had tried, but he hates being sprayed). I had him on my arm while I was washing something in the sink and he started fluffing up like he wanted to take a bath. I filled a shallow salad bowl with water...and in he went. He is usually not in the mood for a bath, but I think he knows when he needs one and then gets pretty excited (every 2-4 weeks). I just keep offering the bowl to him every couple of days (on the kitchen counter). When he wants a bath, he will get in. He will take a dip, then run up my arm (while flapping his wings), run down my other arm, take a dip, and repeat this until we are both soaked.

Guest briansmum

haha sliver! yet more proof that as far as our birds are concerned we must be involved in everything they do! whether it be getting drenched in water or caked in food, they do love it when we partake.. willingly or not ;)

My Sun would do the same thing. He would run down my arm...wings out, tail spread...into the water that was bouncing off the car, get sopping wet, run back up my arm and shake off...He would go round and round with this till he was pooped. I'd love to get my grey to get that excited about water.

• 1 month later...

Smokey doesn't bathe well either. I had a perch in my shower at one time because he loved the steam and the condensation from the water, and would sometimes even venture into it. Now, when I try to put him into some water, like a shallow dish he has a fit and pretty much leaves me bleeding. I left him out in the rain once on a purpose on a hot day to see if it worked better for him (cage was half in and half out) and he stayed out of it. Once in a while, he will play in his water bowl, but that's very rare...

I feel your pain, believe me!

Some one told me to get a huge dog bowl. The kind that wont tip over.They also said the square dishpan.I think Im going to do the dishpan one though. You can put some in and it wont splash as much cause its higher than the huge dog bowl. I havent done it yet. Its been cold in PA and my heater is broke and the thermo perch had to be sent back cause it wouldnt open.grrrrr. Okay Im all winded out. Sorry

• 2 weeks later...

Like it or not 2or3 times a week I put my birds in the shower I turn the shower massage to a fine spray turn the water bearley on so Its like a light spring rain I make sure its luke warm and I hose them down. When I first go my Grey she hated it and threw heself around the tub scared me. but the next time she just sat on the perch that I have for the shower It has sucktion cups on it and now she doesn't seem to mind it at all. My Amazon loves it and my Conure bath everyday I always keep a bowl of water for bathing in their cages because they love to bath also. They will learn to enjoy it if its a regular part of their rotine. I keep thing constant for my birds as most thrive on lives that are preditable They don't like it if things are changing all the time.

Pat

• 5 weeks later...

Mini Me is OK in the shower as long as her head does not get wet. She's OK when she can actually see the shower head (we have a detachable shower massage thingy and I set in on the lowest setting for her). She will sometimes flap her wings and do that bobbing up and down they do when they are having fun. The whole time, she's on my hand. She will not accept going on a perch to have a shower.

However, once the shower goes over her head, she's fidgety and nervous. She begins trying to hold onto my sleeves to get herself out. I giver her a good brief soaking on her back and tail and take her out and give her PLENTY of praise.

She then goes on her perch for drying and I will fill up her water dish with extra water in case she's inclined to have more water fun. She usually continues bathing herself in the dish and kinda forgets the whole shower ordeal.

I've tried to bathe Angie in the sink or in the tub and she just won't have it. She seems to tolerate the shower. I bring her in with me and she sits up on a purge while I am taking a shower, dancing and singing like an idiot so she can see that it's fun. When I am ready for her I ask her to step up to my hand and she does and I slowly put her under the shower. The water is warm. She doesn't seem to mind and she also lets me put my hand over her back which she doesn't let me do yet when she is dry. Maybe she feels more secure if I have my hand over her back in the shower. Unfortunately, I've been very ill and haven't been able to bathe her in a long time but today in the shower she went and she didn't give me a hard time at all, not even a pip. When I took her out she looked very upset and she did a low sound that sounded as though she was growling like a dog.

I placed her on top of a heating pad for a few minutes and then I put her back in her cage. I was worried that she might be cold as my home was 62 degrees. My heating system is not working.

• 3 months later...
Guest Skuffy

:woohoo: Just tryed to shower Max this Morning...he went Nuts...hahahaha...He's not to fond of the mister/spray, but its the only way i can clean him...He has a Big bath in his cage,but won't go near it..He stands and just looks at it.Ive been putting it in his cage since i got him..Ive never tryed to put a few Toys in tho,,might make him interested..I'll have a go see what he does..;)

Guest Skuffy

lol,,He just Looks at me..."What are you doing now" Kinda look...He climbed down to see,,but went back up to his tree