NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Drying wood for toys

The list I went by is on this web sitehttp://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml

What list do you use? Also, there is a man in my area that makes play trees and playtops, (which we have) and that is the wood he uses. I sure don't want to use anything un-safe, but how do you know which list to use ---

Although I can't get to the link right this minute because I'm having a little problem with my files, I will produce the link that says that Crepe Myrtle is unsafe but there are links that say an item is good to use and other links that say that the same item is bad to use and as long as there's conflicting links concerning what certain item is good to use or not good to use, my opinion is to go with an item that every link says is absolutely safe to use.

Ok, here is the link

http://www.geocities.com/tooland/woods.htm

scroll down through the list and you'll see it.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/09 09:36<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/09 09:41

Does anyone have any info on drying out wood before making perches/toys? Is it necessary? Is freshly cut wood ok? I have some nice little sassafras trees that I'd like to use for my birdies (safe on all the lists I could find). Thanks!

Using freshly cut wood is no good because the wood under any bark is still soft and pliable. Dead wood should be used. The bark has hardened and is easy to remove.

Any dead branches should be soaked in water until the bark is easy to peal or pull away. How long the soaking takes depends on how thick the bark is. After all of the bark is taken off, you'll be left with an extremely hard piece of wood. The next step is to scrub the piece with some soap and water, rinse and let dry. Some people put the piece in the oven but letting the branch dry naturally is the better way to go. No burns, no extra dryness, no crinkles. Drying the bark naurally won't take a long time because the branch under the bark is not porous at all. Also,any type of dry wood will accept nails and screws much better than soft wood and they'll stay put much longer.

Talon

I take all of my old wood from my back yard which has loads of dead wood all around. I have loads in the basement which I've never used.

As far as your question--no I would never give a bird a branch that hasn't been peeled simply because when the branch is outside, rabbits, squirrels, wild birds, and other critters get to the wood and shit and piss all over the wood. It all sinks in and I would never wanna expose my birds to all of that. Plus, the wood, when peeled is extremely hard because it's dead. It's extremely hard for a bird to destroy that wood although they will try. I put branches in the cage and make stands from the same wood. You can see the forest behind the stand--it's winter thouggh

Toni--I never said you couldn't put them in the oven. I just said that air drying is quick, safe and it winds up being easier to put together , at least for me but if you prefer using the oven, go ahead. Sometimes different types of wood can get burn't in an oven and will smell. It's up to you. Both methods can be used but I prefer the other one.

PS---also understand that periodically there's skunks and raccoons out there so I really can't take a chance.

playgym-style-4.jpg

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/15 21:45

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/15 21:46<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/07/15 22:07