NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Inspiration for wanting to free fligh my CAG

danmcq

Lidia

It make take months but Im tring to towel train Que again and I think if I can get that done then Ill buy one of those things for her and see If I cant get it on her while she is in a towel.

At least thats the plan but right now I don't see it happening anytime soon. With baby parrots in the house she is not getting the towel time she was getting so..... Mabye after breeding season is over Ill start on that again.

31148292_690b2cea10.jpg

From mountain top where we can see forever

30651178_6f1ff40325.jpg

And village in Southen Taiwan, Kenting where she flew to me in force 7 crosswinds

Hi Dan, and hi folks,

It is nice to know you all are paranoid about flying outdoors.

I really rather you folks be very paranoid than complacent even if you take your birdies outside on harness.

Here is a letter I posted just on this topic a few days ago on 28 June.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Re: Dangers of Flying outside on a Harness? Risk?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edd,

As Sally said, be careful of hawks!

And in addition to that, be careful of everything else too. Be very paranoid.

Taiwan has eagles, kites, hawks, huge ravens. And cats, dogs, wildcats. If you read what I wrote before, I was paranoid even of pigeons and pigeon size birds.

You need to use your eyes and paranoia. Even so, that will not be enough and you must depend on the even more acute vision and hearing of your bird.

If you follow the steps I set out, from living literally with your flighted bird at home, to semi freeflight in big confined safe buildings, you will develope a rapport to a very high degree. You might know to see the emotional state of your bird.

BUT TO FLY THEM OUTSIDE SAFELY EVEN WITH HARNESS, YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SEE THE NUANCES OF THEIR EMOTIONS.

Otherwise, how can you make use of their more acute senses if you cannot read them screaming silently to you of the danger that they can see but you cannot see?

Thats why I always kept nagging that you never ever assume Alphaship on flighted bird. You then watch only if they respond or not respond to you. Treating them as equal and as friend and in making request to friend, you train yourself to see their moods and know to vary your requests to them and see their moods if they will respond or not.

Of all technical stuff I wrote , the most important part will be YOU MUST CONSIDER YOURSELF AS THEIR EQUAL AND NOT SUPERIOR. The technique stuff that you need to know and execute are so simple in comparison.

NEVER EVER FLY THEM OUTSIDE IF THEY SHOW YOU THE LEAST AMOUNT OF DISCOMFORT.

ALWAYS TAKE YOUR CARRIER WITH YOU AS A SAFE REFUGE TO POP THEM BACK INTO.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

For more on harness, read this summary in livejournal

Harness for flighted parrots - To Nick and folks

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/2005/06/10/

A more detailed discussion on harnessing your parrot in

Harness for Trish - and to Michelle and other readers here

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/2006/03/07/

Guest Lidia

Talon wrote:

Lidia,

The aviator harness comes with a dvd that teaches you step by step how to introduce the harness to your bird regardless of the age. It's very useful!:)

Talon,

Thanks, I might order one. It does look like fun, but I think Joshua's resistance levels are pretty high. We shall see and I shall let you know if I get one and how it goes.