NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greys to adopt.

Medic3709

In my recent attempts to try to find an African Grey I was directed towards someone in Montana. They have two African Greys that they NEED to rehome, they moved to a house in which the landlord does not want the birds in the house so they are sitting in a garage. They have a Male and Female they are about 1 year and 8 months and 1 year and 11 months old. They claim they are hand tame and very much "lap birds" She had a VERY reasonable adoption fee that included the cages and health papers. And they had a pet delivery service that was able to deliver to your front door. I live in Illinois so it was going to be a costly venture to ship and with the other assosciated shipping costs for the distance we would have only been able to get one of the birds and I did not feel right about only getting one of them and not both. So we were unable to help her rehome them, but if any of you guys out there know of anyone that can give these guys a home let me know and I can in turn let them know. Just getting the work out. I would hate to see those birds sitting in a garage for very long.

If the so called sellers want money up front for transport or anything else, it's usually a scam. I don't really see any reason that someone who needs to rehome a pet can't sell it in their own state. If they want to rehome a grey or other parrot to another state that is the first red flag or warning.

Many people get sucked into these scams, send money for the birds and the bird is never sent. Most times it probably doesn't exist either.

Actually I was to pay the deliver company for the birds only when they were delivered to my door. The only money they wanted was the adoption fee, however while still interested in these birds I did ask for their names, address, and phone numbers, the same of their vet who was going to do the health check, I also wanted pictures of the birds, cages, surroundings, and with the owners interacting with them and I have yet to receive any acknowledgement of the email OR any of that information. If anything else I hope to get the word out to others about them. They are from Helena Montana just FYI.

That's another clue, they start dodging certain emails and certain questions, like their phone number, home address and vets name. That was good you thought to think of those to ask for.

Another thing you can do if the bird has to be shipped, tell them you have a friend living in their area and see if they can come by to look at it before you make your final decision.

Alright it is offical. After requesting some info from the seller I now believe that it is truly a scam. The seller said he could have the birds shipped to my door for $120!!!!!!!!!! I found a company in my area that said that price would not even cover the ticket to fly, also they wanted me to pay the shipping company the cost to ship and his adoption fee, it did not make a lot of sense. Just thought I would let you know. Thanks for all the advice.