NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Attn: Baby Carrot Concerns

Jayd

I received an e-mail from a friend of a friend of a carrot farmer. Since we feed Spock and all our other birds fresh carrots regularly, we started buying baby carrots because of the convenience. The story is: Baby carrots are shaped in a machine from misshapen and broken larger carrots. After processing, all the baby carrots are soaked in a chlorine/water solution. The amount of chlorine absorbed into the skinless carrot is much greater than in a skinned carrot and also due to the length of time spent soaking. Chlorine is a known carcinogenic and needless to say, we have stopped feeding Spock, our other birds and ourselves the baby carrots. We will be going back to organic carrots. We thought this would be interesting to all.

Maggie and Jay

Now that is interesting to know, I wondered how we came to have those "baby" carrots which I suspected were not true baby carrots, they are manufactured and I had no idea they were soaked in a chlorine solution. Most of the time I use regular bagged carrots only getting the baby carrots for snacking or to use for dipping but I have fed some to the fids, well no more.

Thanks Maggie and Jay for bringing this to our attention.

Hey everyone, as a ex wife of a vegetable farmer who I was married to for 20 years. ALL farmers wash their produce on a bleach/water combo. Triple rinsing your produce at home should be fine. Also know that organic produce isn't totally organic. They too use chemicals and the"natural" fertilizers they use.....well, I prefer the non organic produce. What some of them use on their "organic" produce is disgusting....:pinch: :S

Were lucky, we have a small veg garden and grow what our fids and we eat.(except carrots:( )The main point is that all veggies are washed in a bad solution, and a carrot with a skin soaks up less the a skinless carrot! then if you freeze it or can it, more chemicals are introduced! YES, wash your Veggies ;) This is true for all fruits and veg's:P

:blink:The baby carrots I was refering to are the ones that are cut down from large misshaped ones. If there left in the fridge for a couple of days the start to turn white! this is the bleach leaching out. The amount of these agents our fids can absorb is far less then we can!:sick: We don't read before we eat, but we do for our Fids.<br><br>Post edited by: Jayd, at: 2009/05/15 19:08

• 1 month later...

Almost all veggies are washed in bleach and water. I worked for a water truck company and for drinking water bleach was dumped right into the water to sanitize it. Most all potable water is bleach ridden to make it potable. Most likely bottled water has trace amounts of bleach. I say it's fine. But it's better to be safe than sorry!!!!!