NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What kind of bird is this?

Eckobird

So one of the neighborhood kids found a little baby bird in the middle on the road about a week ago. And of course she came running to my mom and showed her where it was. My mom looked everywhere for a nest but she couldn't find one so she took the bird and put it in a cage and started feeding it soft pellets soaked in water and meal worms. This little baby is a PIG! I know its mother couldn't feed it as much as we do. I swear every couple of hours it screeches for more food and he gets down 4 to 5 pellets. It has gotten so big in the last week and we still can't figure out what kind of bird it is. We live in South Florida and we think it might be a mocking bird but we still aren't sure. What do you guys think it is?

5e584be2.jpg

Once it gets big enough we will be letting it go in our backyard. I bet it will be a nice little birdy and will visit us again.<br><br>Post edited by: caitb2007, at: 2009/05/11 16:58

PitSoulja

I think you'd better check the descriptions of baby birds in the wild.

A Blue jay is just that--blue. It's always blue. A baby blue is identical to the parents. There is only one type of Blue jay. It's very obvious as to the color of the species. The blue jay can easily be identified from the time it's hatched. The baby bird above wasn't just hatched. This is a baby blue jay. An adult blue jay a noisy, cackling, clumsy type of bird that is aggressive to it's own kind. It's a ground feeder who prefers worms and bugs to other foods. Personality wise, the blue jay is nothing like the beautiful delicate bird portrayed in Hallmark cards that feature them.

PS--I have plenty of them coming on my property. They are frequently around with robins who are also ground feeders and eat the same thing. I have woods that start 30 ft. behind my property so loads of different species show up all the time including the winter.

Concerning Baxtermom's pictures of the baby bird that she had for a few days, I may have been wrong when I called it a bunting. It very well may be a mockingbird. Both are extremely similiar to each other. I see them all the time. As a matter of fact, I wish they would go away because they invade my outside feeders and the other species of birds that normally eat there aren't getting an equal chance of eating this year. When I say lots of them, I'm talking about at least 100 to 150 of them coming all at the same time.

This is a baby blue jay.

bluejay2.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/05/16 19:13

Hi,

I'd just like to comment on the description describing Blue-jays.I agree they can be agressive at

the feeders,and do have a loud "caw" call....I had one

in my living room for 12 yrs.She was not only beautiful,but also had quite a peronality,and she was

quiet too,she only ever called in the spring,when she could hear other Jays outside.I rescued her,after she

had flown into the dog kennel after "Kibbles",and got caught by the dogs,who ripped out her tail....Sunflower seeds and peanuts are their favorite.,besides dog food!

K.C.:)

The little bird is doing great! It has grown up a lot. My mom took it to a wildlife sanctuary to ask what she should do with it. They put it in a big aviary with other wild birds that were found and can't live on their own. They said they will keep it there until it learns how to eat on its own and then they will let it fly free. They also said it is a mockingbird. Thanks for the help everyone :)