NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sprouts???

CarolandFamily

Hi everyone Tina gives our babies sprouts and shared with me a website to get them BUT the starter kit is 80.00 bucks!:ohmy: lol does anyone make sprouts? I know we have a local store that sells beans and Garbanzo , pop corn kerneks etc...

Does anyone have a CHEAPER way to making sprouts?

Post edited by: CarolandFamily, at: 2009/05/06 23:51<br><br>Post edited by: CarolandFamily, at: 2009/05/07 03:15

Thanks Ladies that's what I was thinking too I was like {Emotions-0002007D} are they serious 80.00 bucks??? lol I said there has got to be a cheaper way. I don't mind buying for my babies BUT come on I have to use some common sense lol<br><br>Post edited by: CarolandFamily, at: 2009/05/07 00:24

Yep those will work nicely also, I am looking forward to strawberry season as we have a new patch of them my hubby planted last year, I am so ready for some that are not hard as a rock with no flavor. Probably later this month I will be in strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie, strawberry ice cream, yummy, darn now I have made myself hungry.:laugh:

Let me clear a few things up about chinaprairie's sprout kit. Yes, it's 80.00 for a starter kit. Here's what it includes:

starterkit3.jpg

1 3 jar sprout tower. Not needed really, but it is very convenient as you can stack 3 jars in it at a time - 1 soaking, 2 draining. I have mine stationed over my sink and it works like a charm without taking up room. It's merely a convenience item.

3 sprouting jars. Simply mason jars with nice mesh type of plastic lids.

10lbs of sprouting mix. Two different types.

1 jar of herbal additives

1 jar of what's essentially GSE.

Now for sprouts every single day, for all my pet birds (2 greys, 2 macaws, 2 conures, 2 caiques) and not my aviary ones (I sprout bulk for them), it took me 6 months to use up 10lbs of seed/grain.

However, if you just buy the sprouting mix, you certainly don't have to buy the hardware! Most people have no inkling of sprouting and thus, I always suggest the sprout tower package for the convenience.

What I like is the seed/grain blends themselves.

One diet has this: Psittacine: Hulled Sunflower Seed, Whole Yellow Corn, Whole Oat, Brown Rice, Hi Pro Wheat Berry, Whole Green Pea, Garbanzo, Mung Bean, Buckwheat, Millet, Fenugreek, Pumpkin Seed, Sesame Seed, Quinoa, Radish Seed, Mustard Seed, Red Clover Seed.

The other sprout diet has this: Triticale, Rice, Millet, Alfalfa, Fenugreek, Buckwheat, Fennel, Flax Seed, Dill Seed, Sesame Seed, Amaranth, Quinoa, Mung Bean, Radish Seed, and Red Clover Seed.

I like to buy half and half and mix them, myself.

But, there are other sprouting companies, methods and so forth. Use what you like best individually, in my opinion. Just use sprouts! The phytonutrients are SO important in our birds' diets!

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Yours,

Tina<br><br>Post edited by: fofaviary, at: 2009/05/07 03:05

My mom also has a sprout kit and she got it for cheap. I don't know what website she got it from but I found the exact same one for $25 in the link below! Its the best thing ever because our birds LOVE sprouts. I swear Ecko could live off sprouts lol. We tried a variety of them already and he loves them all. My vet recommended we start sprouting because it is really good for the birds.

Heres the link:

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprouting/sprout_garden.htm

I got my sprouter from Phoenix Landing and it seems to me it was maybe $15, maybe less but it was very reasonable, of course it came with no seeds, just the sprouter itself.

Carol I guess I just didn't poke around enough:whistle:

Carol,

I'll be sending you a well-baby package this month with the hatch certs and DNA and a food sampler of what I have the babies on. I'll enclose 5lbs of mixed sprout seeds for you to practice on. LOL Not to mention some toys and other goodies. And, a TWEEDLE. Every Grey needs a tweedle! *grins* If I can find one of my sprout jars I'm not using, I'll stick that in too. That way you can try it all out.

I grew sprouts for Cleo in any old plastic container lined with those cotton wool puffs. Wet 'em down good, sprinkle the soaked seeds on it, cover with cling wrap or whatever you guys call it there, and keep warm!

Cleo wasn't fussed on eating them so I abandoned that venture, but the sprouts grew within 3 days.

Oh My Thankkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Youuuuu TInaaaa not the Twiddle too?? Yippppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol *dancing* Yipppeeee they get toys, sprouts and a Twiddle! Hot Damn! YOU made my year so far!!!!! Mannnnnnnnnnn your the besttttttttttttttt!

Azzie- That sounds really cool now whats a cotton wool puff? Is that cotton puffs for us in America? Cause I have never seen a wool one beofre.