NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help any suggestions???

Natasha

Hey Guys and Girls.

I just want some advice on Boesman's feeding he gets fresh veggies everyday with fruits and I put some pellets in his bowls but he doesn't seem to eat it and that is where the calcuim is??? I was a bit stupid in the beginning as the petshop where I bought him didn't tell me to NOT feed so much seeds so know I am only given seeds as a treat how can I get him of it??? I am afraid if I don't give seeds he will be hungry!!!!!!

Thanks Natasha

Sometimes you have to try different ways of preparing thos veggies some like them cooked some like then mixed in birdy bread some like the cut up small or big or haning in their cage eventually he will eat a bird will notstarve himself to death if your really worrie give him a 1/4 cup of seeds and mix some pellets in with them he may eat them better this way. Try an omlette with brocoli and red peppers and alitte grated cheese my birds love it.

I think you have that in reverse. The calcium and calcium byproducts come from the vegetables, especially very dark veggies. calcium isn't in the fruit. Other vitamins are in the fruit but too much fruit can cause problems because of the citric acid. Pellets are fine but lose all their value after 3 mts. So if your bird is eating veggies and some fruit and some parrot mix but not pellets, there's nothing to worry about. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post though. You're saying that he will eat greens and fruit and parrot mix but not the pellets?<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/05/04 20:48

Hi

Thanks for the help guys, Dave he eats veggies and fruits and parrot mix (seeds,nuts,dry fruits)in the mix) but the pellets he refuse to eats he just plays with them, so you say if he eats the vegs and fruits and the mix I don't need to worry about the pellets I was worried because it looks like everyone is feeding pellets and mine refuses to eat them :unsure: and how much is too much calcuim??? Thanks again for taking the time to answer me :cheer:

Calcium that is in vegetables are fine. There's no calcium in the fruits but other vitamins are in fruits though you need to make sure not alot of fruits due to the citric acid in the fruits.

Natasha

You ask *how much calcium is too much?* When your bird is getting all the natural calcium that greens and by products of greens offer, there is no such thing as *too much calcium*. The body metabalizes the calcium and the bird's system absorbs it. It's not too common to bring a bird to a vet with him/her saying that the bird has too much calcium. Results come back saying the bird has low calcium levels, not excessive calcium levels. Lack of other things usually comes up in vet tests so don't worry about that. Just be very happy that your bird is eating an excellent diet.

One other thing about what you said concerning all other birds eating pellets---it's not true that all birds will eat pellets. Quite a few hate pellets and will actually toss them out of a food bowl, not just play with them. Many people here can tell you that their birds refuse pellets and other peoplecan tell you how they've tried to trick the bird into eating pellets even though the bird's diet was quite sufficient.