NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Newbie Here

NuNu

Hi, I'm NuNu (or Grandma Kathy) and the excited new owner of an adopted Timneh female. Ziggy is about 17 years old and had 2 previous owners. She was originally purchased for breeding, but after awhile she apparently was sick of it all and began attacking the males. The second owner had her for 8 years and it was obvious she was well loved. He had to give her up due to a new job that involves constant travel.

Ziggy is not a talker but vocalizes a lot and imitates sounds like the microwave, ambulances on TV, sneezing, etc. She wolf whistles when someone passes through the room.

I've only had her 3 days and she asks to come onto my shoulder. She loves when I take her for a tour of the house and tell her what everything is. She totally ignores the presence of our dog (will even let the dog sit on my lap while she is on my shoulder) but abhors the cat and screams if he comes in sight. (I do keep him away from her).

She finds my grandson very interesting and likes when he plays his iPod music and dances for her. Eventually she starts dancing too. She likes to accept snacks from my granddaughter, and is calm around my daughter and son-in-law.

This is long, but she is so interesting. I think I got lucky and have a very secure calm bird.

Looking foward to learning a lot from all of you!

Congradulations on your new family member and good for you to take on an older bird that needed a home. I look forward to hearing all about Ziggy and the fun she will bring to your family. I would love to see some pictures when you get a chance also

Hi Kathy and welcome to the forum! That is so nice of you to rehome an older grey. Ziggy sounds like a sweetheart. You are so lucky she adjusted to you so quickly, some people aren't that lucky. If you have any pictures of Ziggy we would love to see her. Enjoy the forum, it is a very helpful place. :)

Hello Kathy and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Ziggy.

It does sound like you hit it lucky when you got Ziggy, for usually breeder birds do not accept humans like the pet greys but understand since you have only had her for a short time she may still be in the honeymoon phase, so be prepared for some less than sweet behavior.

Yours is proof that not all greys will talk and if she just mimics other sounds then that is great and if she could dance that would be wonderful to see, my grey is not interested in dancing at all, but she does talk.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them at your leisure and do not hesitate to ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We love pictures here so if you have some of Ziggy you would share with us we would appreciate that very much.

Thanks for all the welcomes messages!:cheer:

I appreciate all the nice and helpful posts. Things are still going smoothly with Ziggy - she's on my shoulder now. She danced "with" my grandson for several songs this morning. She can really "get down" and shake her tail feathers.:lol:

I am technology impaired, but hopefully will be able to post some photos and maybe even a dancing video in the future.

Thank you again - this seems like a friendly and helpful group.;)<br><br>Post edited by: NuNu, at: 2009/04/28 16:28

Welcome Kathy and Ziggy! Ziggy sounds wonderful and I think you are going to have great fun together. My grey loves to dance too....he sings to himself when he does it. Well done too for taking in an older bird.

Look forward to hearing more from you both.