NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bird Lights

Supernova

It's very important that they get UVB light in order to synthesize vitamin D3 for proper calcium metabolism. UVA may also benefit their phycological health. If your bird is kept indoors, even behind a window or a window screen, then chances are he's not getting any UVB.

There really is no perfect substitute for natural sunlight, but in just another month or so, I'll be able to tell you my personal opinion of artificial UVB. My oldest grey, Rigel's last blood test showed he had hypocalcemia (low calcium). I invested in Featherbrite lamps for all of my greys and Rigel is due for his 6 month reexamination some time in May.

Just make sure that your grey sits fairly close to the lamp, but not too close. The falloff from the artificial lamps is significant. I placed mine just over the location that they prefer to take daytime naps. The top of their head is no more than 10-12 inches below the lamp. I also invested in an inexpensive programmable timer from Home Depot, so that I don't have to worry about turning them on and off.

Your UVB should be somewhere between 290 and 310 NM, around 5000 Kelvin, and have a color rendering index (CRI) close to 90. The only question I have with your setup is that those UVA/UVB percentages sound a bit higher than what I'm used to with avians. Are you sure they weren't meant for reptiles?

This is the light info in pics.

The tube is made by Arcadia as a bird light.

IMG_1978_1.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IF you cant see the info let me know I will take some more

Hope this helps

Bernie.

Post edited by: Supernova, at: 2009/04/19 17:02<br><br>Post edited by: Supernova, at: 2009/04/19 17:03